This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drz
    Each rotor in a rotory engine has a power stroke once for every one rotation of the centric shaft, whereas in a 4-stroke piston engine, each piston has a power stroke ever 2 revolutions of the crankshaft. So a rotory engine is effectively equivalent to a piston engine of twice the size when considering the volume displaced during the power stroke for every rotation of the output shaft.
    Using that logic, you'd say:

The rotary engine has 6 power strokes per revolution, despite 2 "cylinders"

An equivalent 2 cylinder engine would have 1 power stroke per revolution -- so the guys at SCC might as well multiply the rotory's displacement by 6.

Unfortunately, the rotory's design isn't the most efficient in terms of combusting fuel. It's near impossible to get more than 9:1 compression out of it, and a small portion of each power stroke actually pushes backwards on the rotor. Additionally, you can't just make big rotors to increase the displacement as you reach a point where the flame simply can't keep up with the edge of the rotor -- instead you have to add more rotors (3 and 4...)

So SCC and all the other bonehead magazines can call it a 2.4/6 engine all they want, but the fact is the engine nominally displaces 1.2 and 1.3 liters and is in an entirely different class than the reciprocating piston engine...

Comment

And they're a B to keep cool...

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
        And they're a B to keep cool...

-MR
        yup, same part of the engine has the power stroke all of the time with no extra "strokes" to help cool it down. They also go through plugs 2-3 times as fast as a conventional engine. Still an awesome design though

Comment

Originally posted by ma71supraturbo
          Unfortunately, the rotory's design isn't the most efficient in terms of combusting fuel. It's near impossible to get more than 9:1 compression out of it, and a small portion of each power stroke actually pushes backwards on the rotor. Additionally, you can't just make big rotors to increase the displacement as you reach a point where the flame simply can't keep up with the edge of the rotor -- instead you have to add more rotors (3 and 4...)
          The stock rotors on most FCs and FDs have at least 10:1 compression. I found a chart somewhere. Even mine has over 9:1 compression. Don't remember where I found that chart though. Sure hope that info was right.

Comment

Someone brought up torque a little bit earlier in this discussion. I'm just curious, how much torque do those 400hp rotary's make? As far as I know that's a pretty weak part of the rotary's specs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Re: The Funniest Pic EVER!! (so far)

Originally posted by RallyGT
              It's true also
              so... you wanna see a funny pic??...

[ATTACHED PHOTOS WE DELETED]

Comment

i feel bad for him

Comment

lollmf!!!!

Comment

haha

Comment

One question, what heck does this thread have to do with drifting? twcfc3s, that pic is not funny it's distrubing.

Comment

yea disturbing

Comment

in tha house!!

Comment

been as though he called this link the funniest pic so far
                            u r so f'kin lame it didnt even make me smile

Comment

haha! Thats great.....

Comment

is that a chick or a dude!? WTF MATTE?

Comment

Working...
                                X