Sequential Shift Gearbox for Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raging panda
    personally, I think there are a ton of things that you could use that money on. But if it makes you more comfortable as a driver, that is what is important. I just have a problem spending 2/3 the amount of the cost of my car on a shifter.

i'm with raging panda. i am currently spending 3k on my running gear.
    thats including a lsd centre, new tail shafts, new drive shaft, exedy hyper single plate clutch, billit aluminium flywheel (light weight) and maybe a short shifter.
    the good this about the light weight fly wheel as we all know is that cause it is lighter it meas there is lees mass that the gears/clutch has to move which means more power to the wheels. any ways thats beside the point.
    one thing to think about before you buy it, is how much will it cost to repair when they gears give???
    spend the money on the oem g/box and have some money left over or what i like to call "drift bank" meaning if anything decides to go you can get the car back on the road sooner. just my opinion.

Comment

This "sequential transmission" you posted is merely a shift lever that eliminates the H pattern. The only kind of sequential transmission worth using, in my mind, is one attached to a dog box transmission. This replaces the syncros with dog gears. The dog gears have lash that allows the gears to match speeds almost instantly. This allows for clutchless shifting. The device you speak of will still use the stock syncros, so you will still need to clutch every up and down shift and everytime you come to a stop, like a regular manual, only now you will have to pound through all the gears you were just in to get back to one (or 2).

In my personal, unprofessional opinion, this device is the biggest waste of 2 grand you could spend on your car (not including tasteless bodykits). So either drop the 10-20 Gs on a real sequential dogbox transmission or just get a short shifter, lightweight flywheel, and aftermarket clutch assembly.

Also, you stated that you have already upgraded pretty much everything on the car. Could you list those upgrades so we could help you with your desicion?

PS-Im sure I sound like the biggest poop head in the world right now, and i apologize for my harsh manner, but please, read my post and listen to the facts.

Comment

The ebay picture I posted went for less than a grand. That is over $9000 LESS than what you are describing. Ideally the transmission would be as you described, but are things always ideal?

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm
          The ebay picture I posted went for less than a grand. That is over $9000 LESS than what you are describing. Ideally the transmission would be as you described, but are things always ideal?
          I understand how much it sold for. I was saying that what you are looking for is one that will cost 10 gs. Anyways to answer your second question, no, things aren't always ideal, but why blow 1k on something that is less than ideal and carries about the same levels of idealology* as the shifting mechanism you already have?

*not correctly used, not a real term. but it makes sense if you bend it with your mind, kinda like a spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by drift180sx
            i hav extra money to put in2 my car and i was thinking about a sequential shift gearbox. i'm looking for somefaster shifts and i thought this might b a good option. does it effect drifting? making it easier? or harder.
            I don't know how much you know about Sequenctial shifters but if you have ever whatch the Drifting videos on spike\speed (i think it's speed) channel (the ones where they are in europe and drift on dirt roads and such) then you will have seen that most (if not all) of the drift cars have sequenctial shifter that are rite next to the steering wheel (where say a heat vent would be).

As for making you a better drifter...
            It would depend on how good you are now and how fast you can adapt.
            With a sequenctial (keep in mind you aren't actually shifting gears, it's all done electrinicly) you get much faster shifting time then say throwing your normal car's shift rod from 3rd to 4th, you still have to hit the clutch when shifting but if you have anough money you can get a system that alows you to shift but not hit the clutch while shifting, i have also seen systems that do all 3 (Manual,No Clutch-Manual & automatic).

hope this has answered some of your questions and i am sorry if this was already covered in anyone elses post since i just skimmed the thread.

Comment

Working...
            X