No announcement yet.

tricks to make a feint drift work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doruftu i watched your video and the drifting is really nice. I like the skyline and the dancing. I ve seen this video before i think maybe on tremek.com. It looks like you are doing a lot of feints in that vid which look pretty on point. How fast were you going on most those entering the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by 944drift
      doruftu i watched your video and the drifting is really nice. I like the skyline and the dancing. I ve seen this video before i think maybe on tremek.com. It looks like you are doing a lot of feints in that vid which look pretty on point. How fast were you going on most those entering the corner.

THe enterance was top of 2nd gear, so i am guessing it is about 80km/h.

Somebody said that it is too slow for this corner, well you can't judge it like that. You have to drive it, and then you realize that you have to slow down a bit in the corner.

Comment

i just tried fienting without giving it gas or brake. Just using my steering and it was very hard. I got it to break traction a little bit but not enough due to my lack of speed. I was only in a small parking lot neerby my house. It wasnt enough to require counterstear but i was skidding. Should a just keep working on this and add more speed when i get to a bigger area or try adding gas or brake on the turn into the apex. When i apply gas it seems to understeer. How do you guys do it.

Comment

i just tried fienting without giving it gas or brake. Just using my steering and it was very hard. I got it to break traction a little bit but not enough due to my lack of speed. I was only in a small parking lot neerby my house. It wasnt enough to require counterstear but i was skidding. Should a just keep working on this and add more speed when i get to a bigger area or try adding gas or brake on the turn into the apex. When i apply gas it seems to understeer. How do you guys do it.

Alright let me do a little write up on this, because everybody seems to give you different advices which don't work so far.

Feint- you cannot faint without giving it gas or brake. Feint means that you are transfering all of your weight on one side of the car (right, left) depending on the corner. When you feint from high speed, use your brakes like ABS would use them. For example you are going mid 3rd gear 4400 revs, you brake before the corner, steer to opposite direction, left off the brake, steer the other way and heel/toe down shift with a little mismatch, which will create a very slight "shift lock"

In order to do that, make sure that you brake balance is good, otherwise nothing will happen.

Braking is difficult, because you need to have a feel for your car, even my exlanation can be a little off because most of it is built in practice but not theory for me.

Clutch kick is easy way to learn the weight transfer, which I should recommend. For braking you need higher speed..

Comment

thanks for the help doriftu. I was watching the drift bible last night where he uses the ae86. He says in an underpowered car you need to heel toe than steer into the corner and brake let off the gas and hit the throttle hard. Doing this quickly seemed to get the car to go sideways pretty well for keichi. Its basically what you said except you dont slow the rear wheels with the kinda shift lock. He does use that technique with his braking drift in his s14. Im going to try both ways and see how it works for me. I understand now tht a feint is just something you do in addition to anouther technique.

Comment

I understand now tht a feint is just something you do in addition to anouther technique.
              Like... clutch kick.

I shit you not, you will not blow up your clutch unless it is ready to die right now. Especially in cars like RX7s and in your case a 944, you need more violent techniqes to get sideways because of how the chassis are designed o grip in situations like that. They actually take into account oversteer when designing a sports car and then design a suspension to hopefully correct the oversteer and "save" the driver from a crash. That's what a Sports Car is for. GRIP. Not that 240s or hachis were made fore "drift", that obviously not the case, its just that these good" sports car suspensions are not on them, making oversteer/drift/sliding easier on these chassis.

In conclusion, kick the damn clutch! Shift-lock is WAY worse for your tranny, diff, clutch, and pressure plate. And "braking drift" is a good way to enter too fast, understeer into a mountain and total your car!

Comment

From your video, you seem to be doing everything fine. I have had some seattime in a pickup lately, and as usual I cant drive it like it was meant to..... had is sideways in a Home Depot parking lot. I feel 1/2 armchair theory and 1/2 experience says that you should practice moving the car's weight more, just even moving it side to side. I learned alot driving a pickup truck. True it is no car, but fundamentally its the same, just with a poor weight distribution and massive body roll. I thought that video was great, except the dancing... I WANT YOUR CAR!!!

Comment

i tried a clutch kick today and omg it kicked the tail out real easy. I just turned and kicked the clutch and i was sideways. So much easier then braking and feinting and lift off.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                    also, like pg said, clutch kick inst that bad, but if you have your origianl clutch (i think i did) it could end up lookiong like this.

this was after one driftday

lol, good times
                    Damn you are pretty rough on that clutch I have been to 3-4 events on the stock clutch and it works just as good as the day I put it in. I dont kick that hard either, and I find that most corners if you clutch kick dont need very much feint but I do must of my drifts at high speeds. Like come in almost on the rev limiter in 2nd and just turn in early from the outside kick and stay full throttle and control with steering angle. But I have a low powered stock ka so its easier for me to stay wot. In a low powered car once you are used to it you can stay full throttle almost the whole time just use more steering to correct your angle. Also if I fient I usually do it on the brakes or off throttle where the front end has a little more traction you will get used to it and once you are it will be second nature just takes practice. Another thing that is fun on the street is ebrake early and stay on it for a while but that also takes practice but it helps getting used to quick countersteer. When I drift at the track as soon as I initiate and the rear comes out I let go of the steering wheel to counter some corners I can hold it longer without countering but you can always add more angle by turning back in towards the apex so practice countering quicker if you are spinning a lot. My friend likes to go crazy fient and then kick and he spins soooo much either that or he understeers you just need to learn how your car reacts and drive to match that.

Comment

You mentioned not really getting sideways till the apex or half way through the turn. At this point, you don't have the option of feinting. From that point, it's all about upsetting the rear tires. Feint actually comes before the corner and starts the slide before you even get there. If you're trying to do something mid corner, it won't work. Maybe I'm just not clear on when you're trying these techniques.

Feint can be done reguardless of throttle/braking. It's actually fun to vary it working while on the gas, then off the gas, then light and medium braking. You find the car wants to slide much differently in each circumstance. Yes, you do apply other techniques with it to achieve a set goal. I usually feint with some braking for most corners. When I had a rwd, I would feint and at the end of the feint, I'd mash the gas to help get the rear end out. With my awd, that's not so much an option as it actually gains some understeer with heavy throttle, even when feinting.

Since you seem to be playing with this in a parking lot, you'll have a good amount of room to play around on, albeit, speed won't be high(feint is harder at slower speeds-needs heavier, quicker steering(more violent) to work) If you can get your car starting to slide with the feint, try a few techniques to learn to control the slide with the feint. First off, you will use no other inputs than steering. Try to rotate the car an X number of degrees with just the feint. How hard you toss the car determines how much the car will rotate before the rear end regains traction and you go back to rolling. Start out lightly and see if you can get the car to slide only a few degrees first, no counter steering either, just feint and hold wheel straight. Let the car slide and regain traction naturally. Then feint harder. See if you can work your way up to 90 degrees or more. The car should break traction, quickly rotate, and slowly regrip, and roll in the exit direction. It should naturally follow an arcing path, although less so as you feint harder up to say a 180 spin(probably impossible without heavy braking and/or some e-brake work...except at high speed maybe).

This is something I did with my old Lesabre, the first car I started to drift with. Being fwd, with a foot e-brake, I had little for options. It came down to feinting and braking techniques alone. It's interesting how versitle those two techniques are both on their own and especially when combined. All the roads around my house are gravel back roads with a lot of sharp 90s. For most of the turns, I could come in at near the cornering speed, feint hard and begin to rotate the car towards the exit direction, 90 degrees left or right, before I get to the turn. As you enter the turn, your car is rotating from the feint. Somewhere around the apex, the tires will begin to regain traction and want to roll forward. This is where the car changes direction and moves towards the exit direction.

This is more than you would do with a rwd though. Since I couldn't power out of the corner, all my rotation for the corner was done by the feint AND before I even entered the corner. It's a ballsy maneuver as you're done drifting before the corner starts...as in you already created the end result before you entered the corner. With a rwd, you only partially do this(although you can do just the same but wait for the throttle until the exit, not during the corner). You basically feint to the starting angle for the corner. Basically, it's a flick, countersteer and lay on the throttle. You may rotate the car intially 30 degrees or something through the feint, just enough to get the correct angle of attack. Then it's drift as usual and finish rotating the car around the corner and to the exit.

Ok, I think I'm just babbling now. It's late, bed time for me. If the above is only somewhat coherent, that's because I'm only half awake and probably only half of it makes sense. lol That and I am kind of babbling off the top of my head.

Comment

Drift for Food is right, the feint is all about the steering motions. You dont need to be applying throttle or brakes, you just need momentum. Just remember that confidence is key. You gotta go all out for it to work good, quick motions. The first few times I did it I was scared I was gonna crash. Just seems crazy to steer away from the turn for a split second. But after you get it down, it works great. Body roll is your enemy.

Comment

the only real time i have had to steer back in is when i am exiting the corner other than the fact that its a s13 is this becuz i am intiaing correctly? but yes quick steering is a must in order to keep ya sidways and from crashing

Comment

Yes, speed wise, body roll will slow you down. It's possible that with a very soft suspension and a slow steering rate, it can be impossible to feint in a car without the addition of other techniques like braking or clutch kick. My Lesabre, yes bring it up again, is a good example. This was a +2 ton car with about the softest suspension you'll find on any car made short of an old Caddie or something. The steering was not quick either, yet suprisingly precise. On pavement, using no other technique, it was impossible to perform a feint maneuver and breat traction. Even with two lanes at my disposal, it was impossible to do(tried many times over many days). The soft suspension required a specific amount of time to load up. You'd turn on way and wait... The car leans and compresses the inside springs. Then you'd turn the other way as fast as you could turn the wheel. This would throw the weight over to the outside and in a normal case would break traction and spin the car. Unfortunately, with such a slow weight transition, it took so long to get the weight over to the outside and force the tires free. As well, you fight the traction limit of the front tires(not a problem on asphalt, but needed to be careful on gravel). Plus, you needed to be fast enough with the motion to generate a high enough tossing force. The faster you steer, the greater the effect. In that car, on asphalt, both the steering wasn't quick enough to generate a large tossing force and the weight moved so slow it took a full two lanes to perform the maneuver. On gravel, it was a different story. Gravel's easier to break traction and get the car sliding. As long as your front sideways grip was high enough, it actually was easy. Still, it did require the equivalent of two lanes to perform the maneuver all done in a great sweaping motion. I wish I had video of that car(well any car really), it would be pretty funny to watch that boat get tossed around like that.

Stiffer suspension does one key thing. It quickens up the load time of the weight. The whole motion can be brought down to a mear flick of the wheel if the suspension is stiff enough(you may see this on drift videos). I've done this on gravel a tiny bit with my old tires(lots of side bite, very good side traction on gravel). I could flick the wheel abruptly and get the car to flick sideways. It doesn't have stiff suspension, although pretty stiff shocks, but it does have excellent sideways traction. It was doable. On the tires I have now, cheapy high milage tires, it doesn't work. I don't have the traction to perform the maneuver quickly. The motion has to be slowed down some and a slower, wider sweaping motion has to be done to keep from breaking front traction.

If it sounds like there are a lot of factors to this technique, there is. It become dependent on several things in order to determine if it's doable. For your car, work on key points like front grip and suspension stiffness. Grip is always good. If you have enough, you have some room to play with. If you don't have enough, you're just skating on thin ice trying to keep from breaking traction on the front tires. The stiff suspension isn't needed if you have the grip. However, a stiffer suspension will allow you to speed up the technique as well as minimize the area you need to perform the maneuver(same applies to grip).

Comment

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
                              the only real time i have had to steer back in is when i am exiting the corner other than the fact that its a s13 is this becuz i am intiaing correctly? but yes quick steering is a must in order to keep ya sidways and from crashing
                              I dont either unless I am correcting my line and yes I turn it towards the clipping point at the corner exit to get more angle and hit that clipping point other than that maybe some slight turn in mid corner to correct angle but not all the time and not much. Usually use the throttle to bring it in tighter just give it lots of gas and then off throttle to raise or move outside

Comment

I am able to finnally drift into the corner and right through it with the help of this forum and the decision to start clutch kicking. My car seems to go a lot faster through the turn and therefore drift a lot farther than i normally do. since my car will only take so many clutch kicks and i practice a lot im going to give some other techniques a second try. My fient needs work badly. I need to be more violent with it and give it more throttle when i steer in and counerstear quicker. Since i am drifting in a parking lot i cant really tellif i am drifitng into the corner or not so i decided to tape it and imagine if i would be drifting into the corner if there was one. With the clutch kick i seam to drift straight then start to turn but with other techniqques i bring the end around so late that i would already be in the turn by the time i get sideways. This will be corrected through practice since i know exactly what i need to do thanks to the help ive received in this forum. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X