ahhh!!!... i want to get rid of my MR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ahhh!!!... i want to get rid of my MR2

i've been practicing once every week, and it seems like i'm not getting anywhere. It even seems as if my skills are going down.

I've restricted myself to empty parking lots and been performing this routine:

I enter the "corner" (what I imagine), and fient a little in the opposite direction.

Then i turn the car to the other direction while braking.

If i'm lucky, occasionally the rear end flicks out. Then I feather touch the throttle but I just end up doing a 180!

Sometimes i even understeer when I do this (very scary).

With an NA engine and no LSD (there isn't an LSD for my models drivetrain), it seems almost impossible from the start. well, Nissans are my favorite cars anyways and have been for 4 years. I feel like I should have never bought this MR2

Even the drift king himself lost it with the MR2,your not alone.If you can get that car down,then you can drift anything.

Comment

keep at it man. Midship takes skill, and although this is the hard way the results will ultimately payoff.

Comment

Your going to give up that easily? (ashamed)

HOw long have you been practicing?

Remember:
        "Rome was not built in a day"

Comment

I would change the tune of your car a little. First problem: Wont kick out. Run smaller width tires in the rear that kick out easier. Or change your technique. Braking might lock the rear which means the tendancy to oversteer or understeer lies with your proportioning valve. Maybe install an adjustable proportioning valve and direct more pressure to the rear of the car making it oversteer more when you brake. Or instead of braking when you feint, do what I do and use throttle to generate more oversteer. Then once the car consistenty kicks out, remedy the spin out problem (Second Problem) by lessening the oversteering characteristics of the car while sliding. Run a smaller rear swaybar maybe? Or mess with the suspension tune. LSD really would help out, but if you cant get one then make due with what you got.
          Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 01-05-2004, 01:11 AM.

Comment

No LSD for Mr2?

Doesn't Quaife make LSD for every car
            Check here:

Quaife America

Comment

thanks for the link, but quaife doesn't offer an LSD for my model car.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                I would change the tune of your car a little. First problem: Wont kick out. Run smaller width tires in the rear that kick out easier. Or change your technique. Braking might lock the rear which means the tendancy to oversteer or understeer lies with your proportioning valve. Maybe install an adjustable proportioning valve and direct more pressure to the rear of the car making it oversteer more when you brake. Or instead of braking when you feint, do what I do and use throttle to generate more oversteer. Then once the car consistenty kicks out, remedy the spin out problem (Second Problem) by lessening the oversteering characteristics of the car while sliding. Run a smaller rear swaybar maybe? Or mess with the suspension tune. LSD really would help out, but if you cant get one then make due with what you got.

thanks for the information. but how would these modifications effect my dailyy drive?

i'd hate to have more oversteer when i just need to go to school.

Comment

i also have heavy generic chrome rims with 205/50/16 on the front and 225/50/16 on the rear.

Comment

ok one thing is u don't want to brake while ur turning with a MR cause then u pretty much lose control....yeah u get ur rearend out but like u said u just do a 180 try to play with powering it to start a slide then get off the throttle and counter like hell otherwise u'll be fishtailin or spinning

im not sure if i made any sense but well thats my 2 cents

oh and the rims gotta go......find some junkyard rims or whatever u can find thats cheap, light, and small
                    Last edited by Forge_55b; 01-05-2004, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Aren't Mr2s front wheel drive?? (i'm not sure)

so would you have to apply a little brake?

Comment

Originally posted by DriftingShadow

No there all wheel drive. j/k there rear wheel drive. mid engine.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftingShadow

must....containing flamage........<breaths in and out>

MR2=Mid Engine Rear Drive 2 seater

Comment

hey guys whats up,
                            i have a 93 mr2, n/a, with some steel rims. pretty ghetto. i had trouble at first but after awhile when you mix weight transfer, light breaking, counter steer, and the right throttle input you can have a lot of fun. i started off with my rx7, then i bought a gts, and now i have an mr2. i still own all three but i drive my mr2 daily which means it probably sees the most action. i've noticed that when entering a drift, breaking is probably the hardest part, if you apply the breaks to hard the car will just slide forward, to little and you can't get the weight off of the *Censored**Censored**Censored* of the car, you still go straight.if you come into the turn and steer out hard and then cut back into the turn and apply some break pressure when you feel the car starting to whip back, that will initiate the drift, do all of that while in 2nd gear with one foot on the clutch.as soon as you feel the loss of traction hit the gas and release the clutch, you don't nessecarilly have to dump the clutch, just let it out and give it full throttle. once you get em' spinnin', start feathering the throttle to keep it under control, if you try to stay at full throttle it will spin around and you will have done all that work for nothing. everybody is quick to blame the 180 on pour countersteering but its usually to much throttle. the countersteer in the mr2 is like a feather trigger on a nice gun, a little bit of steering input goes along way so don't jerk the wheel all over the place or its going to be sloppy and you might hit somthing. some people may disagree with my short essay that i wrote but thats what works the best for me in my n/a mr2. good luck and don't drift in heavy traffic. peace.

Comment

mr2s are shitty for drifting. no matter how hard i try it doesn't drift. Mr2s are excellent at gripping =)

Comment

Working...
                              X