ahhh!!!... i want to get rid of my MR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldnt bring up the drift kigns use of the Mr2 in the drift bible

I garuntee you all the mistaked he made in that movie were on purpose. Dont you find it odd how before EVERY (yes every go watch) mistake he mentioens what NOT to do, then does it?

Mr2 for example i cant recall exactly, but i think he says somethign about being careful with the braking and throttle, because theyre more sensative, and then spins out, not just anywhere but where theres a road running off the track with a cone in the way. kiiinda fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by sidebyslide
      must....containing flamage........<breaths in and out>

MR2=Mid Engine Rear Drive 2 seater
      That's what I used to think. But it actually means Midship Runabout. It's on some plastic under the trunk.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. It takes time to catch the slide. On a rear heavy car, it's harder because the rear end comes out a bit quicker. You need to countersteer a little earlier than with a front heavy car.

I see your practice in a couple steps. First, get used to actually breaking the rear end loose. You should be able to get it free on command. Work with various techniques to get comfortable with actually getting the rear end free. Trying braking, feint, heavy throttle, and e-brake. Basically, get used to how much effort is needed to break the rear end free.

As you do this, try to work on getting it down to breaking the rear end lightly. Basically, you want to work down the the point where you provide just enough input to just barely get the rear end sliding. The reason for this is the heavy rear end. When it comes out, it comes out fast. To better control it, learn to control how fast it comes out. This means, you need to learn to lightly break the rear end loose, not only with less input but with slower input as well.

Now the countersteering comes in a little more naturally, but it takes time to teach yourself to move the right amount. You can't help this other than practice. As you work on the above stuff, work on aiming the car after the slide starts by using the steering. One example is fish tailing, dori? whatever it's called. Anyways, basically, you can practice this down a straight road, at a constant speed and throttle input or varying. It's useful to practice while both speeding up, heavy throttle, and slowing down, braking-no throttle. The amount you countersteer will vary. If you can do this, corners are pretty easy. What you do is this. As you head down a straight road or straight line in a parking lot, you're going to swerve back and forth. You'll basically do the feint technique repeatedly in a straight line. It's like doing a slalom course around cones but sliding the whole time back and forth. As you swerve harder and harder, at some point the rear end will start to slide out. At this point you will begin to adjust your steering a little, turning slightly into the slide. If the slide is very light, your steering may be very near what you would have it at when doing a slalom, essentially still turning into the corner, no countersteer. As the rear end slides out more, you gradually steer less into the turn and more towards the direction of ths slide to compensate for the loss of traction in the rear. During this whole time, you're still swerving back and forth, steering back and forth.

What this teaches you. First, it wll get you very comfortable with weight shifts of your car. As well, you have a lot of control over how hard you steer, so you can make the swaying gentle or quite forced. This controls how much you're sliding. It also allows you to gradually work your way up from no sliding and no countersteering to light sliding and very little countersteering to heavy sliding and a lot of countersteering. By doing this you should begin to feel how the rear end brakes loose and how the weight moves around the car. It also teaches you to catch the slide and to properly countersteer. It should help speed up your hand movement as well. As you work on it and try to mantain this fishtailing for an extended period of time, you'll begin to see that you can actually steer the car around even during a slide by slightly increasing or decreasing your countersteer. When you practice with heavier throttle or with light to heavy braking, you'll learn how you have to change your countersteering to adapt to how the car has changed. A change in weight balance or grip will require you to not only change how much you need to countersteer but when as well. You may find that you need to countersteer a little sooner or maybe even slightly later depending on what you're doing.

Essentially, if you can maintain this fishtailing for an extending period of time, under control, and at various throttle and brake inputs, you should be very comfortable with how your car slides. I personally find this a good warm up exercise to do before I start drifting corners. Especially, if you drift seldom or irregularly, it's a good way to refresh your mind and muscles how to move. You can quickly get into the rhythem and feel of the car. You can even determine grip level of the surface you're driving on, important if different areas provide different grip levels or your area changes grip levels on a regular basis.

Ok, I said a lot, but I'm hoping it'll help a little.

Comment

Your feinting and still not getting the rearend around? I wouldn't even do that much. It also sounds like your not countersteering in time. Try a brake drift. Just get heavy on the brakes and turn real hard and I guarantee your rearend will kickout everytime.

Comment

ok one thing is u don't want to brake while ur turning with a MR cause then u pretty much lose control...
            wrong.

mr2s are shitty for drifting
            wrong.

no matter how hard i try it doesn't drift
            that's your problem. I can drift my STOCK, open diff AW11. It's not impossible.

I find the only way a feint works with the MR2 is to actually get the car sideways the wrong way, before swinging it back. Also, the only way to feint the car is to be BRAKING when you do it.

imagine threshold braking requires 50 lbs of force from your foot. When you do the feint, only have about 35 lbs of force. Basically, don't keep braking really hard, but you NEED to keep braking so your front tires have more grip than your rears.

For now, work on using the handbrake with NO feint. There's no point in learned advanced initiation techniques if you can't carry out the drift. Start off with the handbrake, and once you can be consistent with that, THEN start to use a feint...

I like to think I am a better than average driver... and I still spin or plow from time to time in the MR2. It's hard as hell to get that thing sideways and keep it there, but it can be done. Just keep with it. You can do it.

by the way, I think the transaxle for the AW11 is the same as the FWD corollas... maybe there's a LSD there? I know they make an LSD for the AW11 for something... It's expensive, and when my father rallied one, we just welded the diff. If you're running the SW20 chassis, then think about just swapping to a turbo transaxle, and go with the LSD.

Comment

i own a 93 mr2 and drift it all the time, i dont got lsd either, so i clutch kit it so it goes sideways, keeping control is another thing tho. but once you get the hang of it , its a load of fun .

Comment

I'm with everyone else...Don't give up so easy...find out what your doing wrong and adjust what you have to to accomodate that.

I've never driven an Mr-2, but don't they have mad oversteer...It's very possible to drift what you have now...just go for it! and if it doesn't work...tune...and go for it again.

Comment

Rise from your grave

Comment

dude hang in there. start out simpler, use the e-brake and learn how the car slides. then work on shift locking, weight shifting, and powering out. I've drifted nearly all vehicle platforms, each has their quarks and characteristics. Once you get the basics down though, you will be slinging that thing around in no time.

Comment

I have faith in you to get it done.. hell I drifted once or twice in my dads ford ranger. I would have practiced more.. but his tires would go to hell. Keep it up.. I belive you can do it..

and If not.. I'll buy it from you.

But not before you check this out..

Crazies Mr2 ALiVe!

Comment

hahahahahah..

look at how old this thread is.

I figured out what my problem was. I had these very cheap wall mart tires in front. after I bought some yokohama sport tires, the problem dispeared. With the problem fixed, I starting drifting the Mr2 very well after a a couple weeks. I felt comfortable at speeds 50mph and below, and my prefered technique was braking.

After I found out that my car was salvaged and the left rear hub was permanently stuck at -50 camber, my engine began burning oil. Then i couldn't find an LSD for the 5FSE engine. it seemed hopeless and I lost interest in that car entirely. I still drive it, but i'm no longer motivated to tune it.

I have great paying job now, so my S13 dream car is soon to be a reality.

I quickly learned how to drift the MR2 after I fixed the understeering problem. I'm pretty sure I can drift a 240sx.

Comment

Well, if you've junked the idea of having your MR2 as a daily driver, you might as well weld the differential. Having a car with it's "junk in the trunk" makes it all the more important to keep the power distributed correctly or you just freespin the inside tire and recatch.

Was about to post about the front tires until I got halfway through the thread and saw you caught the problem yourself. Shifting your traction bias to the front is the most crucial component to drifting any MR vehicle. Otherwise you just plow or skate the car.

Comment

Working...
                          X