No announcement yet.

Shift lock questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the point of shift lock is to break traction. When you jam it from 3 to 2, you get that little jolt in your driveline, this actually is your rear end "locking up", and at that point you have lost traction for a fraction of a second, during that fraction of a second, if you floor it, almost any amount of horsepower will just spin the tires because you have already lost traction.

When you shift down without rev matching, your engine is going to shoot up in rpms to match the speed of the wheels, but it needs a little amount of time to do that, and while the engine is matching the speed of the wheels, your wheels lose traction.

Comment

i just think to use shift lock at 3rd gear cornering and drop to second my rear breaks for a second and my foot is already gasing, to contenu the drift,its as simple as that, i have done shift lock many times,for 3rd gear corner i say.

Comment

yea i have the same experience...btw...what kinda cars you drivin? and by the way my truck didnt have 200 ft/lbs of torque.

Comment

ok ok if i were to start trying this will it eat my trany
          Last edited by vandelx; 02-11-2004, 01:30 AM.

Comment

yup

Comment

Originally posted by vandelx
              ok ok if i were to start trying this will it eat my trany
              Oh hell yeah. You can get away with it once and a while, but don't rely on it. Start trying braking drifts and power overs. Or use inertia if you're afraid of building up speed.

Comment

shift lock

OK picture it this way. Shift lock produces the same efect as pulling the e-brake (sudden and drastic slowing of the rear wheels while the front wheels are free to roll) which momentarily breaks rear traction. Now, being that you just used a downshift to 2nd gear to create this lack of traction all you have left to do is use the throtle and counter steer to maintain a power over drift through the exit of the turn.

If you have ever accidentally shifted into 3rd instead of 5th and let the clutch out normally WHILE YOU WERE ON THE FREEWAY! You have performed shift lock.

Personally i prefer to use the side brake technique more often than shift lock. Rear brakes are cheaper than trannies.
                Call that cheating if you like but if its good enough for Tsuchiya im not gonna argue.

Late

Comment

Working...
                X