Drift Delemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Delemma

hey guys, im stuck with a tough decision, and i would like some feed back from you guys.

back in Nov, the ka in 91 240sx blew, and since then i have been working to et a new ka in. well today i get my 240 back, but the ka i just bought, spent lots of money (and time) being installed, has a knock. i was told when i got the engine that it was in good condition, but it is knocking. so now i am faced with a decision:

A) i could sell my 240 and buy a AE86, and improve my driving and drifting.

B) sell the 240 buy a Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT, eventually do a EJ20TT swap, and focus on my hwy driving for the next year or two.

C) save the 3-4 grand it will cost to get the ka rebuilt with new crank, pistons, rods, cams, port and polish the head, and have a killer ka.

D) buy a CA18DET and have Import Soul (240 perfoprmance shop in Denver) do the swap, and i will continue on my currrent drifting path.

i would like feedback on what the smartest and most cost effient choice. Thank you very much. Doomo Arigatoo Gozaimasu!!

swap

SR20DET
    comming' up

Comment

Re: swap

Originally posted by Kouki_Dookie
      SR20DET
      comming' up
      Wrong answer. That was not a choice. Minus 20 points

Comment

Ahhhhh!

D. then
        you have to keep the 240
        I love Corollas to but 240's are my weapon of choice

Comment

What kind of knocking? Is it unrepairable, or you just don't want to repair it? You can get parts KAs for like 200 bucks, I think that would be the best idea because then if anything else breaks, you can get parts of the parts KA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouki_Dookie
            then
            you have to keep the 240
            I love Corollas to but 240's are my weapon of choice
            yeah, i like the 240 alot more, but i figured if it would cost less to get the 86, then it would be worth it.

raging panda, the knock isnt so bad yet, but its a upper block knock, and the car smokes alot too. i just got to drive it againn today, and it smokes really bad. the guy at the shop said they could rebiuld it, but it would cost like 3800 bucks for labor and stuff like that. i know i could find good internals for cheap, but i cant do the install. i dont have the knowledge yet.

i will post agian on friday, cause im going to go look at my options.

Comment

Ok you either buy another KA dirft cheap and do another swap or if I were you I would just go with the ca18DET it a very reliable engine and I don't think you will have much knocking. But I think that with a Junk yard KA you could save your self some money.

Comment

Id buy the CA18. You can get an sr20 swap w/ labor for 4k though.

Comment

Just buy a KA and swap it yourself. Stock for stock is easy. Don't you have friends that can help out?

Comment

sounds like your burning oil, somehow it's getting into the pistons I figure, I would do my best to repair it, it might be something stupid. how long untill you noticed the knocking??? had a similar problem after I rebuilt my engine, I changed the plugs and used some fuel injector cleaned, and now it's fine. your problem will probably not be so simple, it sucks that there is no warrenty on the engine. for another 3-4K you could probably buy another 240. and if you can get your hands on an 8-6 I would do it. I don't like options B or D so unless you can an 8-6, focus on your KA if you can put up with the knocking

Comment

How long did this KA set up before you got it? Might try to Marvel mystery oil it. May have some stuck rings causing blow-by. Won't hurt to try and may end up saving you money. An upper block knock doesn't sound near as serious as a bottom end one. I would try that first before anything. Can get it at any local parts store.

After that, if it didn't work, go back to who you got it from and raise hell. If that doesn't pan out then if you are determined to spend 4k, do an SR20 swap and be done with it. Buying a new car really isn't the answer. Especially of you are thinking of buying one with the intentions of swapping another engine into it in the future. Just fix the one you have right now and roll.

Comment

Originally posted by driftersil80
                        Id buy the CA18. You can get an sr20 swap w/ labor for 4k though.
                        hahahahah you gettin RIPPED OFF.

Comment

errrrrrr ummmm dont diss me!!!juz buy an AE86.at least if u crash it it wont hurt that much.if you buy another KA and do all the work, or swap or buy a new car, and in the middle of ur drifting practice sm freak accident happens that'll cause ur engine to get f-ed up then that wud hurt like hell(i cried when i crashed and im not juz being a girl) coz of all the money and hard work spent. getting an AE86 and modifying it a lil bit cost money too but not as much.thats juz my opinion..

Comment

C. but keep the stock forged rods if they are in good condition. No need to waste money buying equally capable parts. Crank....man what kinda deal are you plannin up in here? Drag car??? Get pistons, valves, valve springs, cams, turbo, and match port and polish everything. Unless you want NA, which I wont hate you for, then no turbo and a different kind of pistons(high comp). That is if you want to keep the 240. If you like your car, keep it. If you are tired of it and this is the excuse you have been waiting for to get something else, do that. You will perform better in the car you want to be in. And drifting is largely up to driver performance.

Comment

i have read all of your posts, and i thank you for soo much imput.

today i drove a legacy, and i hated it....sluggish and understeers...that is no longer and option.

tomorrow im going to find out how much a CA swap will run me, and right now, that is what i really want to do. if i get the ca, i want to run about 300 whp at about 12 psi boost. i think if i can afford it, that will be the way i will go. the 86 would be nice, but i really love my 240.....

im also going to be selling the head off my blown ka. the valves and cams and everything are in great condition, i just sent a rod out the side of the block, so if anyone is interested in getting that, pm me. otherwise its going on ebay.....

Comment

Working...
                              X