Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks that sounds like it might be the problem, I'll check it out,

Comment

yep the caliper won't let go, how would you suggest I fix this, I'm going to try and bleed the brake line, and decompress the piston manually, silverghost how'd you fix this or how would you

Comment

What kind of car are you driving? im surprised no one has asked this yet.

S13s are known to ocasionally make a god awful grinding noise form one of the rear tires when reverssing. This is a fairly common problem, As far as i know no one has come up with a good reason/solution but it has to do with the brakes, when people go to after market setups there problem stops, some people say it stops after changing pads. Other after fixing the shims, or whatnot.. Anyways if its an S13 that grinding noise ocasionally in reverse may be that problem.

Comment

um a 92' cav, yeah I know what your thinknig, but I have to get to work. so how can I disengage this caliper, I was thinking manually, but it might get stuck again. I wonder hoe ghost fixed this, and it is only the right front caliper

Comment

i have seen a few flipped cars in my days as a rally driver......
            i have seen a few nice imprezas split in two
            I have seen hondas 40 feet up a hill (dont ask)
            i have seen an RX-7 40 feet down a hill
            i have seen a focus upside down in the middle of the road
            i have seen a mazda 323 upside down 15 feet off the road from hitting a focus that was upside down in the road
            i have seen a volvo as big as a civic after rolling

I have gone down a raviegn and popped out the other side (dont ask)
            i have hit ditch at 65 and bent my tires almost under my car

BUT

I have yet to roll

there are those who have and those who will

hehe Ode to rally
            by dirty
            Last edited by Dirty85; 03-05-2004, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Menchi
              um a 92' cav, yeah I know what your thinknig, but I have to get to work. so how can I disengage this caliper, I was thinking manually, but it might get stuck again. I wonder hoe ghost fixed this, and it is only the right front caliper
              on my jeep that i was speaking of earlier, i had to get the brakes comletely redone casue the damned calipers almost wore through the rotors.... but that was because of the bad master cylinder, i would suggest first try bleeding the brakes, and that is pretty easy to do, and also try decompressing the piston your self with a c-clamp. if that stuff doesnt work, then try taking it to a brake place and they will be able to tell you if its something simple like the caliber needs new pads or something, or something expensive, like master cylinder. hope that helps you.

Comment

I changed the caliper, bled the brakes replaced the shoe's disengaged the piston manually, and it still has the same problem, I'm afraid it's the master cylinder which is beyond my knowlage, thanks for your help

Comment

what I don't understand id if it if the master cylinder why only the right front

Comment

if the master cylinder goes out, it can do all kinds of crazy stuff....you should probably just have a place like brakes plus look at it, cause its really hard to know whats going on in the thing if its the mc....sounds like you did everything you can do by yourself at home......good luck with that man

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
                      if the master cylinder goes out, it can do all kinds of crazy stuff....you should probably just have a place like brakes plus look at it, cause its really hard to know whats going on in the thing if its the mc....sounds like you did everything you can do by yourself at home......good luck with that man
                      if the MC was messed it would affect both front brakes. did you check the brake lines besides the flexible one. If its been kinked it may not dis-engauge or engauge properly. If your car has ABS there may be a problem in the actuator but the ABS ECU would likely trigger a fault code. The proportioning valve could be tweaked too but not likely, they usually will outlast a car. the uneven wear can happen sometimes with nothing wrong or if in the past one rotor was replaced but not the other. The caliper could be hanging but if you replaced it it probably a problem in that wheels brake line. Sometimes you can get a defective replacment caliper too. lemme know how it works out.

Comment

You might also want to get the frame measured. That wont have anything to do with the brake problems you're experiencing, but flipping a car is a pretty big deal. I would also inpect all the suspension components (inc bushings), inspect the steering linkage, and more than likely get a re-alignment.

As for the other comment by that NASCAR guy, I think thats completely ridiculous. Just shows how ignorant that guy is (as if the USA has never hurt anybody). I know those guys are probably shaking in their boots because Toyota usually dominates any type of racing leagues they enter.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                          As for the other comment by that NASCAR guy, I think thats completely ridiculous. Just shows how ignorant that guy is (as if the USA has never hurt anybody). I know those guys are probably shaking in their boots because Toyota usually dominates any type of racing leagues they enter.
                          What did the NASCAR guy say? TRD is sweeeeeeet. Toyota has made a strong showing in anything they compete in for sure. Hell they took down the giant GM in light truck sales globally last quarter. No one has done that EVER according to the AP and Motortrend. Toyota is globally now the #2 auto manufacturer with a close gap to GM. An no im not biased because I am in thier auto technitian program at college. I was a die-hard Mitsubishi loyalist until I bought my Supra....

Comment

If the brake sticks, it's your piston(in the caliper) sticking. I've never rebuilt one, but I assume you can go to Napa and get a rebuild kit like you can do for drum brakes when their pistons stick, or leak. It may just need good cleaning, a bit of dirt got in maybe. You'd still need a rebuild kit and hone(sp) it to keep it from leaking. Again, haven't don't disk brakes before, rebuild that is. You might just have to replace the whole caliper, not sure.

Got any mechanic friends that can do it cheap?

Comment

Working...
                            X