Drifting=?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting=?????

I figured I'd start a new topic here in the hopes that we can come up with a universal definition of "drift".....

Now, what I want to know is what makes a drift a drift and not something else.....what conditions are required for a drift to have occured.

Here is my definition (usually simpler is best)

Drift---to be in a state of oversteer; an oversteered condition

Here is the definition from driftsession.com

Drift---To cause a vehicle to exceed its tires' limits of adhesion, exhibiting a lateral slip, resulting in an oversteered condition.

Notice that the more conditional statements you add to this definition, the narrower the definition becomes. For instance, both definitions above never mention anything about control or driver's intentions. ---this means that a drift can occur quite accidentally...

Drift, the noun and the verb do not require any conditional statements regarding the driver's ability, technique or state of mind ---actually, they dont even require a driver at all.

Neither do the definitions require any conditional statements regarding the vehicle type, layout, capabiities, number of wheels etc (actually the 2nd def requires tires)----this means that motorcycles, go carts, minivans, bicycles, wagons etc can drift.

Also note that there are no conditional statements regarding how a drift must be started or maintained. Nor are there any conditional statements regarding duration, style, acceleration, etc etc.

COLOR=orangered]If you think that you have a definition that more accurately captures the fundamental nature of drifting post it up.[/COLOR]

drifting: driving as if you were the most bad azz mofo the world has even or will ever know.

Comment

The word 'Drift' it self simply implies a lateral movement. Wether talking automotive or not.

i i would say there definition of a single drift is propper however to define the motorsport of drifter i would simply add the words controled. forexample

Drift---To cause a vehicle to exceed its tires' limits of adhesion, exhibiting a lateral slip, resulting in an CONTROLED oversteered condition.

anyways thats what my year experience says that.

Comment

Oooh i hope we get this definition soon, so when people ask me what drifting is, i wont have to be like ummm... well lemme see how do i explain this to you... Well just hop in and ill show ya.

Mine in very simple laymans terms.

Drift = Controlled Slide. Loss of traction but not loss of control.

Comment

Hmmm

^ I like his, cause its very short and sweet, and also leavs it open for interpretation, and doesn't get into the nitty gritty where all the arguments start. Very nice. If I think of one better I'll be sure to post it, hehe.

Comment

Here's how I explain it on my website:

The goal of drifting is to show complete control of your car while maintaining oversteer. Drifting involves navigating a road course while performing controlled slides, or drifts, for the longest possible duration. The difference between drifting and powersliding is that when you are drifting, you are connecting multiple turns in a controlled slide. This is very different from a powerslide, which is usually performed while exiting a turn with the next step being to re-gain traction. When you are drifting, the object is not to regain traction. Instead, show how much control you have over the car while maintaining a loss of traction in an oversteered state. Even if you are on a straighaway, you should be looking for ways to induce oversteer, but stay in control. You know you are drifting when you are entering the turns at much higher speeds than grip roadracing, and the car is already sliding sideways before you approach the turn. You are not drifting if you understeer into a turn, and oversteer out. You are not drifting if you fishtail and then regain traction. You are not drifting just because your rear tires are burning out. You ARE drifting when you maintain a controlled loss of traction, induced by oversteer, through multiple turns.

I wrote that more towards the domestic guys that might mistake a powerslide / fishtail / burnout for drifting. But you get the idea. If I had to define it in one sentance it would be the last sentance there in my explination.

Comment

Originally posted by HasNoTiresLeft
              [B]Oooh i hope we get this definition soon, so when people ask me what drifting is, i wont have to be like ummm... well lemme see how do i explain this to you... Well just hop in and ill show ya.[B]
              yeah, when people ask me what it is, or i would do it, i tell them it is fun, and baisically i just pitch my car sideways in a corner to do it...but the easiest way to do it is definatly to show them...hee hee

Comment

just bumping this back up---hopefully we can get a good discussion.

Remember to JUSTIFY your definition with something OTHER than how YOU FEEL.

Some of us are looking for a definition that does NOT rely on CONTENTIOUS statements/assumtions/assertions.

Haven't any of you ever been on a debate team or taken a class in logic?

Comment

somethings are not easy to define, look at life. billions of years of it and our only deffinition that seems to work is "i know it when i see it"

Comment

I third the hasnotiresleft definition. Simple is usually the best. I disagree about the powersliding as not drifting. Now yes, just gunning it and thinking you drifted is not drifting. It has to be controlled. Powersliding is one method to initiate a drift or maintain a loss of traction of the rear tires. However, just spinning out isn't a drift. There is no control. Now I say powerslide is drifting, but I should clarify that despite it being a method, it is somewhat ameturish if that's all you do. It also has to be controlled. If it's not, you're just buring rubber and doing donuts(note: not a drift in a very very tight circle, lol).

Comment

man this again, mm we had this thread awhile ago...

Comment

yes, this is like to 50 biliionth time it was come up, and every single time it gets no where.....

Comment

Working...
                        X