ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S13 reduce grip rebound that causes fishtail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im working on it, i need to do alittle work on the car, replacing two lower control arms on the front suspension. But soon as there replace i will go out and get some video.

Comment

Re: S13 reduce grip rebound that causes fishtail?

Originally posted by mello88
      I have bone stock 1990 240sx S13. When drifting the car, the rear tires will "hook up" again at the end of the drift and the rebound of grip throws the car the opposite direction causing fishtail. I know this is feint technique, but I've found it's very hard to drift the car without this happening... So I'm curious for ways to reduce this effect? Obviously as the rear tire tread wears down this should be less and less of a problem, but I also feel this has a lot to do with the suspension, considering that the stock setup is pretty soft. I'm leaning towards Koni adjustable yellow struts and a set of coilovers.

I would also like some suggestions for driving techniques that can help reduce this

Thanks for your input
      Yea probably a stiffer set up will reduce some of that whipback
      also not having enough wheelspin and catching traction to abruptlycan cause this effect also(tq causing the tranny to flex and when tq is released the tranny kinda snaps back into place, causing an upset to the rear traction..They got panhard bars for the 1st gen rx7 not sure what else they got for your car..Anyways
      I use stock everything i use power over more agressivley to reduce the whipback and try steering smoother this also will cause the weight to balance itself out smoother..

Comment

Nissanguy and Coiloverkid are absolutely right. The "whip" is caused by not being fast enough on releasing the countersteer during the pause. When you feel the car pause, bring your wheel back around to straight, otherwise you're just a rolling example of one of Newton's laws of physics. (Every action has an equal and opposite reaction)

Comment

Just practice more and get used to the feel of the car regaining traction. You need to teach yourself to straighten the steering out in conjunction with the rear end regaining traction. Once you get used to that, you should be fine reguardless of what you do. If all else fails, straighten the wheel at the end of the drift. If you're facing the exit direction of the road, you can't go wrong. The rear will catch and the car will roll straight. It can't do anything else. If you're not facing right, a 4 wheel brake lock up will help prevent/minimize any launches into the ditch. That's always a good last resort if all else fails or something suddenly goes very wrong, lol.

With low power, you just can't power over and keep the rear end loose. You need horse power to do those types of things, horse power or a lower traction type of surface. You can't steer with the throttle so much, so steering becomes very important. Hold the throttle to the floor and steer with the steering wheel on the exit. That's the best you can do with low power.

One additional option to help even out the front and rear is tire choice. If you don't mind going to a harder/narrower tire in the rear, you may be able to adjust the front/rear regrip as well. It can fix that but may also cause other issues. With less rear traction, your rear end may come out a little easier on corners(oversteer). You'll also get less normal driving traction. Depending on where you live, this may be a concern. Braking may change a little bit too. The rear may be a little more eager to lock up. It kind of depends on how much crappier they are than the front tires. Still it's something to think about.

Comment

the biggest way to fix all of this stuff is simply to practice. thats the only way you are going to get you techniques down, and i think drifting is one of the most fun things in the world to practice doing.

the tire setup i will be running (hopefully soon) is falken azenis st-115's up front and used tires in the rear. that way i will have lots of grip up front, which translates into lots of control. and with used in the back, i wont mind going out and destroying my tires!

Comment

Working...
            X