88 celica AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 celica AWD

Does anyone know if its possible to drift an 88 Toyota Celica w/ the AWD package?

another question: Is it similar to later forms of AWD where if you pull the front diff fuse, it becomes RWD, would that work?

thanx!!

If you RWD the precious AWD celica, I'll punch you in the face personally!

...Well not really, but I'd be disappointed.

With a bit of power the AWD Celicas drift pretty well. AWD drifting is different from RWD drifting, there's usually more sliding involved and less countersteering, but it is absolutely possible.

I used to drift my Legacy Turbo Wagon all the time.

-MR

Comment

cool man. i dont want to make it permanently RWD, just wondering if there is a way to switch it back and forth for drifting and driving. i really want that car for the AWD, cause wyotech is in wyoming, and the weather gets pretty bad up there (really icey) and i would preffer to have AWD rather than my FR 240 (will be 180sx by that time).

thanks once again!!

Comment

in a word, no
        cause it aint a eletronic clutch package. it has a (i think) viscous set up for the center diff...
        its a good grip/rally cross car...

just please remember there are some cars that are for drift and a lot that arnt...dont dry and drift with somthing that was ment not to...

Comment

Rally it, Celica alltracs are awesome pieces of machinery.

Comment

Originally posted by driftfreak
            in a word, no
            cause it aint a eletronic clutch package. it has a (i think) viscous set up for the center diff...
            its a good grip/rally cross car...

just please remember there are some cars that are for drift and a lot that arnt...dont dry and drift with somthing that was ment not to...

actually no car was meant for drifting man, people just do it. heh, kinda like Tarzan did with his Viper at the 2004 D1GP in the USA. that was the best thing I have seen. it sounded nice to.

rock.

Comment

what i mean buy that is dont go out and try and drift FF cars or AWD cars unless you really know what your doing or getting into...if your just a trend jumper and have ye old honda sportcom drag car and what to drift now...bad idea..

Comment

what i mean buy that is dont go out and try and drift FF cars or AWD cars unless you really know what your doing or getting into...if your just a trend jumper and have ye old honda sportcom drag car and what to drift now...bad idea..
                i agree....im thinking about the Celica as a daily driver, and still drift my 240. all i really wanted to know is if it is possible to temporarily disable the front diff, but if it isnt, i will just have it to drive and keep miles off my 240. maybe a little snow rally and ice driifting, but thats what AWD was made for (motorsports speaking).

anyone know of a good place to get like TRD parts for a project like that?

Comment

Sence your going to have both freakin drift it. It will be cool to see a guy whos drifted FR also try a AWD, see how it feel what the differences are. Just because it isnt common doesnt mean it isnt cool to try.

Comment

indeed!!

Comment

The best way I know of to "temporarily" convert it is to get a second AWD trans and fuse the Vicsous Coupling like many people to on Subarus so that it runs in RWD mode only.

If you wanted to convert back anf forth, you'd have to change out the transmission though...

Unless you adapted a clutch-pack trans to the 4AGZE (or whatever is in there) and ran your own system...

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
                        The best way I know of to "temporarily" convert it is to get a second AWD trans and fuse the Vicsous Coupling like many people to on Subarus so that it runs in RWD mode only.

If you wanted to convert back anf forth, you'd have to change out the transmission though...

Unless you adapted a clutch-pack trans to the 4AGZE (or whatever is in there) and ran your own system...

-MR
                        just gots to show how much you dontknow bout this car..

www.alltrac.net is a good start fo information for this car..

Comment

Normally i'm all for a person Drifting anything they want to but in this case I have to agree. Please don't Drift that car. Man All-tracs are superb. That is a Grip machine man. Take that thing and roll out. You already have a 240.

If you want something else to Drift then bring the All-Trac to me and you can have my Corolla.

Comment

lol, thanks for the info guys....

yeah, i just wanted to get some opinions about the topic, and if i can find one of these cars, i will get it for its ability to drive well in the snow......and as a temp rally-cross car!!

Comment

just gots to show how much you dontknow bout this car..

www.alltrac.net is a good start fo information for this car..
                              Why are you quoting me on this?

The website doesn't even really give a very good explaination as to what type of AWD system the All-trac is and I couldn't get the search function to work properly...

Since I obviousally don't know much about these drivetrains (and most likely neither do a lot of other readers), would you be so kind as to explain some of the features of the system. Maybe things like basic operation, torque split front and rear, methods of slip detection, etc...

I will be the first to point out that I do not know what the design of the AWD is on the Celica, but if it's a viscous coupling then turning the spider gears into one solid mass would work.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                              X