signs of a bad drifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signs of a bad drifter

i think KT said that for the judging criteria, counter-steering while exiting a turn is the sign of a bad drifter. call me an extreme n00b, but Initial D said that you can tell the character of a drifter from the way there tail slides at an exit of a turn. to much fish tailing is an agressive driver or something and all the good stuff.

I don't know most for rules as far as judging, but in my mind, a proper drift should end with your car exiting on the outside of the corner pointing straight down the track with the car steered straight. Any deviation from this means you either too slow or too fast around the corner and your drift started, occured, or ended badly. In theory, everything should occur smoothly. You should initiate the drift using some technique, drift smoothly with very little change in angle or speed after drifting(assuming an even, non-changing corner), and you should come out the the drift smoothly and facing straight down the track. The line taken should be the optimum racing line, basically very closed to the optimum grip line except for any clearance adjustments for your car being sideways. This means you start on the outside of the track at the beginning of the corner, initiate and drift to the inside apex, continue drift back to the outside of the track on the corner's exit, and end the drift pointing straight down the track. You take the widest arc possible within the limits of the track and any obsticles. This is what I see as the perfect drift.

However, it's not necessarily what you'll see. If you're connecting one corner to another, you won't end straight cause you're setting up for the next corner. Also, if it's for show, you'll exagerate the drift and possibly do some stunts for show. I haven't been big in the whole drift competition thing, so I don't know how the judging works and what really goes on. Reguardless of what happens, in essence, a good drift is a drift that occurs exactly the way you want it to. If you were trying to do something and achieved it the way you planned it in your mind, then you did good. It's all control really. If you have total control, it's good. You may just have to get used to corner speed or learn racing lines better if you don't go in or come out well.

Comment

this is the way i think about it.....if you are running touge (or something like it) i think a really good drift should be solid, with minimal countersteer and a sideways degree of like 30-40 degrees....just kinda a little slip of the rear tires on tight corners to make it around without breaking as much.

on the other hand, i think a good show drift should start far from the corner, stay sideways the whole way through the corner, and come out completely sideways, tires smoking, the whole nine yards. it should also be carried into choku dori (i love the way it looks and flows) for at least a few fishtails. in my eyes, when showing off, i think there is nothing sexier than travelling sideways on a straight stretch of road!

thats just my opinion, and what i like to see and do......

Comment

your skill is one thing...but you must also have the equipment to do it. Sure you can drift in a stock or nearly stock car but having the proper suspension and LSD is the key. Big hairy ones help too. I guess what I mean is a good driver with a crappy car can only do so much and vice versa. that is why all the pros have expensive and full adjustable suspension, hard mounts, and race tires there equipment helps them to excel in what they do.

Drifting to me is when the car starts to slide at the corner entry and holding the slide all the way through to the corner exit under FULL control. anything, before, during or after is a little extra to show off your skill--hand out windows, special techniques etc. you can tell a driver by what they do for the whole drift just not part of it. I think silverghost and and Driftforfoood said it pretty well.
        Last edited by grift; 03-30-2004, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grift
          your skill is one thing...but you must also have the equipment to do it. Sure you can drift in a stock or nearly stock car but having the proper suspension and LSD is the key. Big hairy ones help too. Drifting to me is when the car starts to slide at the corner entry and holding the slide all the way through to the corner exit under FULL control. anything, before, during or after is a little extra to show off your skill--hand out windows, special techniques etc. you can tell a driver by what they do for the whole drift just not part of it. I think silverghost and and Driftforfoood said it pretty well.
          Imo...it's more about being smooth. Someone said it before but erratic angle adjustments or a choppy apex can be signs of someone who is still working on their technique. I know when I go riding I see people trying to lean and sometimes they "angle" a corner, i.e. they'll turn a long radius into almost the 3 straight sections of a parallelogram (kina like the shape of a \_/ ). Constantly readjusting their angle to try and clip the apex properly but they either 1) go too soon, or 2) turn in too sharp and have to compensate. I see this on some drivers too that have to use both lanes to drive canyons and togue while I only use one. They're trying to give themselves more room but unneccessarily.

If you're having to use 2 lanes on a canyon like Angles Crest where it's very long and gradual, versus a canyon like Sand where it's too tight to use one lane and your'e forced to apex, then you've probably got a novice on your hands and you can either pass where appropriate, or back off and let the person have room enough to not feel pressured and therefore make a mistake. I ran into a guy with a FC one night coming down angeles who was with another guy in a S13 and a chick in a civic. He was faster than the other 2 but still was using both lanes....couldn't understand it either when my car wasn't straining even the slightest. was kina like, "uuh".

BTW, there are 2 distinct styles (as I'm sure most of you who have watched "drift bible" know)...race and show. Occasionally I'll use race on togue to help get a little bit of rotation on specific corners I know that require it. But it can get tricky on canyons where there are elevation changes or dust mid-apex. That's really where you get the most out of it is when you know where the clip point is and where you should initiate it.
          Last edited by PearlBlueSoul; 03-30-2004, 09:57 PM.

Comment

on my touge run, there are only three driftable corners, all the others are faster if gripped hard. those three that i drift are very sharp hairpins, and they are what make or break a run.

Comment

Initial D is also very dramatized...

-MR

Comment

if u base anything on real drifting from initial d especially how to judge a good drifter u really are a n00b and a homosexual at that!

Comment

Okay even though Initial D is one of the most accurate car show's around it's still not real. They do throw some stuff in there for show (like the STOCK 86 beating the 380hp Skyline*coughcoughbullcrapcoughcough) but it's as close to reality as you're gonna see tv get. Having said that countersteer isn't the sign of a bad drifter, you have to do it or you'll spin! What they mean is that a professional drifter can hold their car at a steady angle in the turn without having to correct. Aka the car stays at the same angle through the turn. Also some professional drifters can slide the car with just the throttle. They basically meant Takumi could do that.

Comment

but Initial D said that you can tell

LMAO

Comment

gee wiz guys, initial d just told me that civics are the best drift cars!!

WTB CIVIC HATCH...

Comment

Originally posted by æ86
                        if u base anything on real drifting from initial d especially how to judge a good drifter u really are a n00b and a homosexual at that!
                        This of course implies theres something bad with both new guys and homosexuals. i hope it was just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by æ86
                          then I must burn and shred my entire collection of Initial D DVD's!

(nah, jes kidding, only rented the first 4 episodes |comes in one DVD container|)
                          Last edited by s0nny80y; 04-03-2004, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by æ86
                            omfg! for one thing... dont flame... i looks really bad on your part showing that you have NO maturity at all (what are you? 12?)

second... i might agree that if he bases his drifting criteria on intial d he is a newbie (whis isn't spelled N-ZERO-ZERO-B)... BUT.. does that make him a homosexual? do you know what a homosexual is?!

think about things for yourself before you post... it really annoys me (and i bet other people) when someone flames another person

Comment

too many armchair drifters in here. jeez.....

Comment

Working...
                              X