98 averger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C-Works_FD
    Hi this is Calvin Wan. I actually started drifting in a 96 Dodge Avenger when I had it new back in the days. It was a ES model with the 5 speed 420A eclipse motor. It actually has a long wheelbase so the car is really stable while it is in a drift. But it also means it rotates slow and returns slow as well which has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to rely on the ebrake to initate the drift and once it comes out just keep the thing floored to drag the back end around. It is not the ideal drifter but it is possible. I got my first feel of drifting from that car. There are a lot of FF drifters in Japan, but you need to run really skinny high grip tires in the rear and have decent power to drag the car along. My advice is to try drifting with what you got. Anything is drifitable to a certain degree. Some cars are just easier than others. Just keep practicing.

Calvin Wan
    FD3S
    Discount Tire/ Falken RPS13
    It is a pleasure to have such a great drifter on our board. I absolutely love the S13 your driving for falken tire. Keep up the good work man.

Comment

^ may I change your oil?

-MR

Comment

mranlet Why do a lot of solo racing books say to apply power to overcome oversteer or a sliding rear end? Doesn't the power pull the car OUT of the drift rather than keep it going?

-MR

Those books are correct. You do have to apply power to straighten out the car. By applying throttle you keep the car driving forward. This goes for both FR and FF cars. The difference in steering input is what makes the car either drift or straighten out. If you want the car to continue drifting you keep the throttle on and you keep steering into the turn to keep the rear out. If you want to correct and straighten out, you keep the throttle on and unwind the steering until it is straight. Depending on how sensistive your steering inputs are, that will determine how the car will react.

Calvin

Comment

Working...
        X