The Next Big Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Big Thing

Other than the introduction of N20, Altezza Lights, Lambo Doors, and Drift Xtreme's ground-breaking discovery of Drifting withthout springs, but with air with his Ground Zero Air Suspension, The next big thing I've been seeing in the drifting world that hasn't hit the States yet is The Mid-Mount Interfcooler.
    This new type of intercooler piping is cheaper than V-Mounting and is alot better than FMICs, and is getting to be very common to see in some parts of the Mainland on Silvias.
    The way you do it is to mount the intercooler right where the radiator is supposed to be and put the radiator right behind that.
    Pros:
    No need to buy spare intercoolers. no more intercooler damage during a crash.
    1/2 the amount of intercooler piping needed= more torque and responsiveness
    Cons:
    You can't see the intercooler. Can fix with netting used on show car civics.
    Since I have no car and only a certificate since last June to prove that I took a driving course to GET a license, I can't tell you firsthand that this is a good thing to do with your car. But once I get a car and lots of money to do this, I'll do it to my car since id be another newbie crashing his car all over the place.
    Hope this helps the people that Have cars

some how I can't picture it. have you got a pic?

?? ??

Comment

Sounds like the setup on the Prodrive Suburu WRC cars. They I've noticed they mount theirs between the headlights and route the air through the IC and out the top of the hood. The radiator is mounted behind the IC but you can see the radiator in the lower part of the valence.

Comment

actually, the subaru and ford wrc cars have their intercoolers and radiators mounted such that the air that passes through the radiator does not pass through the intercooler and vise versa. The air that passes through either is also vented directly to the atmosphere without ever entering the engine compartment....pretty slick setups.

If you look at the ford with the hood open you will see that the intercooler and radiator are mounted close to horizontal and you can see the fans mounted in the hood that suck the air striaght through the radiator into the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
          some how I can't picture it. have you got a pic?

?? ??
          sorry I don't have a pic cuz i have no scanner.
          someone else around here that lives in japan might be able to get a pic of the setup though

Comment

maybe DX can help.

Comment

like this?
              Attached Files

Comment

thats a V-Mount
                a mid- mount looks like a regular engine bay with the intercooler crammed infront of the radiator, and behind or under the support at the front of the car.
                I was hoping DX could help since he has a huge library of car pics (like Masa's M-15, Veilside's Z...) oh well

Comment

try this....
                  Attached Files

Comment

WTF thats longer then a V16

Comment

Originally posted by Chas

Aaaaahahahahahaah.

Comment

From what I have seen on the WRC cars, the Focus has it's I/C mounted horizontally and vents through the hood. I believe the radiator is mounted conventionally but I'm not sure. Next time rally is on Speed Channel I'll be sure to look and see If I can see it.

Btw there's also another way to mount the intercooler. In the Lingenfelter TT Corvettes they have 1 I/C for each turbo mounted in the fenders ahead of each front wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
                          then u havn't seen my engine bay.

Comment

the only problem with that is you run hot air through the intercooler into the radiator, raising the temperature of your radiator requiring either a huge fan, or a bigger radiator, plus when moving the radiator back, you leave less room for a fan to be fit back there, so you must buy a slim fan. These things would end up costing the price of the I/C piping and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
                              the only problem with that is you run hot air through the intercooler into the radiator, raising the temperature of your radiator requiring either a huge fan, or a bigger radiator, plus when moving the radiator back, you leave less room for a fan to be fit back there, so you must buy a slim fan. These things would end up costing the price of the I/C piping and then some.

Never think twice about money when it's JDM tight!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X