About braking before throwing the back out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mranlet
    This is not a subject change but rather a simple tangent to the subject. I'd be happy to open another thread discussing this at greater length but I'm sure that there are others out there already:

Gran Tourismo 3, as much as the "purists" will turn up their noses, can really help a young driver learn basic techniques. If you read through the manual you'll see that they discuss things such as braking pre-turn-in and why it helps. I believe that there is also an explaination of the traction circle and how a tire acts under driving forces (GT2's double manuals come to mind, with one explaining how to play the game and the other explaining simple automotive physics). The extremely thorough technical replay mode is great too, as it shows how much steering, throttle, and braking input you are giving and you can see in real time how it effects the car.

Even if you are PS2-less, the $200 it would cost to buy the system and game could be 10x more beneficial than spending $200 on tires and "wreckless driving" tickets (one night for some people). If you combine the exquisite physics engine of the game with guidance from a book like "Going Faster" or "Secrets of Solo Racing" then your understanding of what goes on in a race or drift car will accelerate that much more.

Yeah, maybe GT3 is just a game, but it is a game that is based on extensive research and has been developed by people who know.

-MR

this is very true, i am often amazed at how real life and gt3 are intertwined, lol. GT3 helped me learn car physics and real life taught me which lines to take and when to break traction. its funny how i learned alot from both to help me with the other. hard to explain, i hope you get what i am saying.

Comment

briefly tap the brake to shift the weight forward, turn the direction you want to go and hit the brake again. you may have to use feint.

Comment

I always brake hard to throw my tail out... Yep i'm weird.

Comment

i know faint drift can be used for a AWD platform but do you perform a braking drift the same as a FR?

Comment

Yes. The initialization of braking drifting does not change among fwd, rwd, and awd. The length and sheer awesomeness does change, however, with rwd being the COOLEST.

Sorry.

Comment

The braking part is pretty much the same for any platform. For initiating or adjusting a drift with braking, the platform will be of little concern. Since you don't use throttle, the orientation of the drive tires be it fwd, rwd, or awd make no difference. However, because of the on-throttle characteristics of each drive type, you will adjust how you use braking drift, how long, how strong, etc. You'll also change entry speed, entry angle, steering angle, and such initiating and during a braking drift to achieve the desired results for the platform you're using.

For example, with a rwd car, you use quite a bit of throttle while drifting. The braking drift would simply be used to initiate the drift. After that, you'd be laying on the throttle. However, with a fwd car, you can't lay on the throttle right after you start the drift. You may instead come in hot, brake hard initially to get the rear end loose, and then lightly brake through the corner to keep the rear end sliding as well as bleed off speed. I currently have a Subaru (awd) and braking drifting is the same as with any other car. It's not quite as on-throttle friendly as a rwd car, especially with the stock understeer, so I brake a little longer than I would with a rwd.

In general, most techniques work the same reguardless of car or platform. Braking, e-brake, throttle off, and feint work the same for any car. Since you don't provide throttle for any of these techniques, nothing changes between platforms. The characteristics of certain techniques may change depending on drive tires. Shift lock, clutch kick, and powerover do totally different things with a fwd car. It will instead disrupt the front tires and induce understeer. These basically work in the opposite fasion of a rwd car. Awd is a little different since all 4 wheels are influenced. Basically all 3 can be used to induce or maintain a complete loss of traction both front and rear. Depending on steering and weight balance, this can create either understeer or oversteer.

Comment

Working...
              X