No announcement yet.

Heel and Toe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

um may seem lyk a dumb question (probably is) but wuts heel toe and how does it help drifting?

Comment

Pio - Mine has trouble finding R once in a while. It's probably the clutch more than anything that is the problem. Try asking emission, he knows alot more than I do.

Chua - Do a search, I know it's been covered in detail before.

Comment

chuaboi36- heel toe is a process of downshifting and rev matching so you dont upset the driveline and weight transition. the process goes as follows:
        1.push brake firmly and steadily
        2.push in clutch and down shift to the desired gear
        3. while still holding the brake, with the side of your foot(heel), blip the throttle to rev match the tranny for the higher gear,and release clutch when the revs match

it sounds a bit confusing but after a days practice, youll be good.
        ive been doing it so long now it is 2nd nature and i cant drive normally with out it.

Comment

www.turnfast.com has a good article on it. With pictures and what not. It's useful in about any type of driving your doing. Autocross, drifting, road racing, etc

Comment

If you really want an in depth look at Heel toe downshift, we have a chapter explained in our DVD by Ryan Hampton (Formula D competitor and former IRL race car driver).

You can watch a teaser here:

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/video...small5_NEW.mpg

Our video trailer:

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/video...Comp11_NEW.wmv

Naoki
            www.driftday.com

Comment

it also helps to double-clutch when you heel-and-toe, because it synchronizes the speeds of the two shafts in the gearbox. If you could do it precisely enough, you can heel-and-toe without using the clutch at all.

double-clutching isn't faster, but it helps your synchros a LOT. A lot of road racers don't do this, and they always say that "oh, third gear in the [insert car name here] is weak, and after a season of racing, it'll grind." Wrong, if you double-clutch with all downshifts, your gearbox will last twice or three times as long.

Comment

I'm may be wrong but isn't heel toe relatively similiar to double clutching. First, double clutching is done to match the speed that the the wheels and the axels are spinning to the same speed of the gear in the transmission, to avoid the jerk that is felt when they don't match while down shifting. Heel to toe is done to revmatch, such as double clutching, and to slow a vehicle down to not upset the weight blance greatly when taking a corner during braking. humm, I need to think about it more, things are not so clear now. I couldn't miss DJ Tiesto he doesn't come around this area much...yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by SilviaLove
                  I'm may be wrong but isn't heel toe relatively similiar to double clutching. First, double clutching is done to match the speed that the the wheels and the axels are spinning to the same speed of the gear in the transmission, to avoid the jerk that is felt when they don't match while down shifting. Heel to toe is done to revmatch, such as double clutching, and to slow a vehicle down to not upset the weight blance greatly when taking a corner during braking.
                  You got it..

Heel-Toe is to make downshifts smooth while braking.

Double clutching is actually to make downshifts smooth without braking.

Anyways,
                  Matt.

Comment

Clay and Marshun- I just watched a couple of my drifting videos. Orido shifted mid-turn because he lost momentum in a Levin, and there was this one Civic drifter who downshifted mid-drift, but that was it. Otherwise, no one else shifted mid-drift. Keiichi didn't even do it in the clip from the Drift Bible that I have. Oh, but maybe he's not as good as you guys.

Gimme a break... shifting mid-corner disrupts both balance and power delivery. When balancing a car that is over the edge of available traction, I can't imagine why anyone would do it. When it comes to grip circumstances, it's absolutely an amateur mistake.

Comment

shifting during a drift is a VERY common practice

Comment

Heal Toe for drifting? righhhhhtttttt

you guys go head, ill stick to clutch kicking

Comment

Depends on the drift I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                            Clay and Marshun- I just watched a couple of my drifting videos. Orido shifted mid-turn because he lost momentum in a Levin, and there was this one Civic drifter who downshifted mid-drift, but that was it. Otherwise, no one else shifted mid-drift. Keiichi didn't even do it in the clip from the Drift Bible that I have. Oh, but maybe he's not as good as you guys.

Gimme a break... shifting mid-corner disrupts both balance and power delivery. When balancing a car that is over the edge of available traction, I can't imagine why anyone would do it. When it comes to grip circumstances, it's absolutely an amateur mistake.

WTF??? how old are those vids?? must be from the 80s...anyways you obviously havent drifted in 3rd gear b4.
                            if your going into 3rd you will have to downshift at some point in the drift as you slow down. i suguest you get some track time b4 you post up stuff like that.

as for heal toe, its mostly used for grip driving and not drifting. drifters do use it on occasion but not to often. i think you guys are watchin to much inital d.

p.s. i know, i know... my spelling sucks

Comment

Originally posted by bluballz
                              WTF??? how old are those vids?? must be from the 80s...anyways you obviously havent drifted in 3rd gear b4.
                              if your going into 3rd you will have to downshift at some point in the drift as you slow down. i suguest you get some track time b4 you post up stuff like that.

as for heal toe, its mostly used for grip driving and not drifting. drifters do use it on occasion but not to often. i think you guys are watchin to much inital d.

p.s. i know, i know... my spelling sucks
                              Whoa, whoa, slow down turbo...wouldn't want to upset some people on your 1st post now would ya? If somebody makes a mistake, don't shove it into other peoples' faces...I'm not lecturing you, but it's just a lil fyi. This is your 1st post in all...Not that you know a lot about drifting or not...

Comment

I can heel toe the clutch and the gas man. For me its more like heel and middle of foot. hahahah

Comment

Working...
                                X