Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agree

Originally posted by mranlet
    This was NOT a good way to make an entrance.

-MR

Comment

Yep with a fwd car set with some oversteer, you have a little extra grip to use for throttle. However a neutral balanced or underbalanced car like most road cars(what I started with), you don't have that extra grip to work with for throttle. In those cases, you can't use throttle. Otherwise, you would increase front side slip and understeer. Continuous brakings is about the only thing you can do besides e-brake and heavy feint before and to add a lot of extra rotation and rear end momentum to counter any loss from throttle.

Otherwise, I totally agree, if you've got the front grip, you can pull the car around with throttle and still keep the rear end out. It's just a matter of setting up the car to allow you to do that. No cars come stock like that.

For a stock car, as mranlet said, remove the front swaybar and put some good tires on front/crappy tires on the rear can get you as close as possilbe. You may even want to play with tire pressures, high rear/low front. Maybe even think about wieght removal in the rear or get as much weight forward as possible. Beyond that, you'd need suspension upgrades to get more front grip.

Comment

FF drift

Yo wats up guys, I have an 97 Prelude and its tremendously difficult to drift. but the most successful drift performed with the car was during heavy rain in a spacous parking lot. The only thing i did a little different was the amount of pressure i put on the brakes (of course the rain helped alot too). One of meh buddies also have an FWD vechile (95 Integra) but he was able to drift great with the help of his e brake.

Later

Comment

Re: FF drift

Originally posted by Cbr6k
          Yo wats up guys, I have an 97 Prelude and its tremendously difficult to drift. but the most successful drift performed with the car was during heavy rain in a spacous parking lot. The only thing i did a little different was the amount of pressure i put on the brakes (of course the rain helped alot too). One of meh buddies also have an FWD vechile (95 Integra) but he was able to drift great with the help of his e brake.

Later
          Integra in the rain?...I've done that...

Comment

It's all about weight transfer mastery with FWD. That's the only real way to do it unless you want the Rear wheel lockup...

Anyways...

Matt.

Comment

I own a 2001 V6 Camry Vienta Wagon now which I drift/@ss drag and this is how I do it!

I drift it around the nieghbourhood and have got to a few local tracks. When drifting, I drift around 75-80kph on streets and 90-100 on track, you need this for the momentum through corners, having a 6 pulling me through the corners is also good cause it holds the front down with weight and has enough power to pull me through and out of corner nicely. My technique to drifting is thus.

1. Enter corner with speed, its what get you through the drift, usually 3rd gear
              2. Brake later than usual, put clutch in
              3. Just before Apex I turn into corner a bit then flick e-brake (key is not to hold to long if you have speed, when back end is out let down e-brake, 1 second MAX).
              4. Downshift gear make sure revs are up or too much speed is lost and release clutch and floor the gas.
              5. With downshifted gear engaged correct front pointing position, ie point wheels in the direction you want to go and hold, and correct as you straightnen up

I try keep the back end of my car light, and on the occasion take out spare and back seats, I have found also that a FF car with a longer wheel base for the size of the car is better for weight shifting and sliding. My previous cars were a 89 ae86 corrola sedan and FF Mitsubishi Colt sedan (long wheel base) with cordia turbo motor in it and I learnt to FF @ss drag/drift with this.

Problems I encountered was to much playing around correcting led to the car doing what I call a snap fient where the car would snap suddenly towards the other direction and or if I pointed wheels towards the inside of corner the car would "over slide" and i'd stop facing the other direction, if this occurs while sliding I usually clutched and spun sttering wheel in opposite direction I was trying to go and wala 270 degree turn. Make sure you adjust your e-brake cable often and make it a short grip and stroke rather than pulling and trying to touch you shoulder with your e-brake lever. This helps alot and allows you focus on the task at hand rather than wasting valuable seconds trying to get the back end out. Start on dirt/grass ovals at slower speeds and build up from there.

When Linking 2 corners in FF car I use above for first corner then when straight before turning into corner whilst reving in second gear at about 4000-4500rpm. Apply e-brake hard and turn in until back slips out with the gas on then when sliding I clutch in, correct steering then gas down and clutch out.

If on track and got speed up in excess of 95 I usually flick back out with steering and braking (left foot brake for wieght shift, turn in sharp and correct BEFORE I think back will go out and it usually does and I can hold it and control using throtle, and downshfit).

Only real "mod" I have done to stock in my cars is told my mechanic mate what I'm doing and asked him to "reduce rear end roll on the car when im'm cornering hard and sliding with e-brake on" and he managed to do something?? Also better flowing exhaust system has helped with my gas happy foot habits, and increased power RESPONSE. I also have second hand century michies on the back and slightly grippier new century michies on the front, Going to extreme in front and back tyre selection has led to lots of spin outs and curb slapping which is not good!

I do get understeer with the amount of throttle I give but I learn to control it by feathering/pulsing the gas pedal till I feel grip then to the floor with the gas when she straigthens up. I admit FF is not as "clean" and "quick" as FR drifting but it has a similar effect/feeling when your inside the car at least.

My technique is what I learnt on my own on grass ovals and around where I could get empty space to practice with my car at night. I used and abused cars and thats how I got my technique to work for me.

To get a feeling for feint drifting in FF when starting out, I suggest get some old rear tyres, grippy front, then find a straight road, lock on the e-brake and put your foot down till you start dragging the back end and then go side to side working on the rythem required to hold your speed and prctice controlling the back end.

Enjoy FF drifting if thats all you got and keep the back end out!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

I've been tryin to drift my moms 00 galant es and my sister 00 altima, havent had much success with it. my moms e brake on the galant is shitty so u got any tips i could use?

Comment

Don't break it...

Comment

Yea dude. Don't drift your moms car or your sisters. You get's no respect doing that crap in here. If you are going to tear something up, do it to your own stuff, not the persons who gave you life, supported your rear end through school, paid and gave up all her free time and life to make a life for your family. Comon man. What are you thinking?

What happens if you wreck it? Your mom is out of a ride, upset, crying and then you'll feel real slick. We are all about Drifting and the slide in here but only in your car. Plus you are 15, how are you trying to Drift her car? Bad move Solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                      Yea dude. Don't drift your moms car or your sisters. You get's no respect doing that crap in here. If you are going to tear something up, do it to your own stuff, not the persons who gave you life, supported your rear end through school, paid and gave up all her free time and life to make a life for your family. Comon man. What are you thinking?

What happens if you wreck it? Your mom is out of a ride, upset, crying and then you'll feel real slick. We are all about Drifting and the slide in here but only in your car. Plus you are 15, how are you trying to Drift her car? Bad move Solo.
                      apprichiate ur concern, but its not that serious even IF I wreck it.

Comment

You're not getting it.

Wrecking other people's ish is LOW. It's GODDAMN STUIPD AND IRRESPONSABLE, not to mention DISRESPECTFUL and IGNORANT.

If you'd like, I can paypal you 5 bucks so you can buy yourself a clue...

Comment

Not serious huh? Hmmm, get your own car, then talk about Drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by sr20
                            tell me u've never tryed to get a car that didnt belong to u sideways..
                            Thats not very common here...Most of us here have our own cars...And it seems like you're asking for trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                              You're not getting it.

Wrecking other people's ish is LOW. It's GODDAMN STUIPD AND IRRESPONSABLE, not to mention DISRESPECTFUL and IGNORANT.

If you'd like, I can paypal you 5 bucks so you can buy yourself a clue...
                              I want 5 bucks...

Comment

I too feel it's a bad idea to "try things" with other people's cars. I'd hate to wreck any of my family's or friends' cars. Even if it was some $500 pos, I still would feel bad. Unless you have full concent to use it and use it in that purpose, you have no right to do such things with other people's cars. Even with concent and knowing your intentions, you damn well better treat it like your own, maybe even more so. It's called respect, consideration, trust.

How are you driving at 15? Without your parents in the car with you? And drifting? Bad, bad, bad idea...

Hey Thai Juku, a bit off topic but what South Park episode was your signature from?

Comment

Working...
                                X