FF Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
    FFs dont drift, they @$$-drag. The lines, speeds, angles, and transitions are odd, not nearly as "smooth".

Its fun and all, just not the same.
    I love how people state it like it's fact...

What is drifting anyways?

How do you think AWD drifts then?

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
      How do you think AWD drifts then?

We drift A55.

Comment

while were talking about ffs i hope you dont mind if i pop in this question about what are some ff touge techniques thanx and im back so hi all if any of you remmber me hah

Comment

Originally posted by monkeymagic
          while were talking about ffs i hope you dont mind if i pop in this question about what are some ff touge techniques thanx and im back so hi all if any of you remmber me hah
          Weight Transfer, e-brake, feint, (damn I forgot the name of this technique, but this is how you do it, you downshift and engine brake while turning...), left-foot braking, etc.

Actually alot of the techniques that you would use for RWD cars are usable for FWD. Ignorant people just choose to keep saying that FF can't drift.

Automatic Transmissions also have to use these techniques to pull anything off. Usually a combination of techniques to make anything work. Even FR Automatics need these techniques.

Matt.

Comment

One of my crazy friends messes around with his 95 tercel. burnt clutch, shitty tires all around, 85hp? I'd say he pulls slides off pretty clean. He uses a combination of e-brake and feint. I guess you have to see to believe. He's left his signature in our parking lot. Not as exciting as rwd but its great to watch.

Comment

I didnt mean ff drifting just fast mountain driving on closed roads of course

Comment

Left foot braking is a good one; learn how to tuck your car into a corner a bit. Can cause a small slip angle for the turn in on the turn. Theres advantages to being able to rotate ur car rather then turn your car with the tires.

lfb can be used when youve entered above a speed u normaly would to help deal with understeer, but once you get to the apex your angle should be allowed to decrease and you should be able to accelerate. if not your not going as fast as you could be, grant it this isnt easy to do..

Comment

Cool thanx anyone have any more info on lfb or ff techniques thanxs

Comment

Do your normal braking in as much of a straight line as possible, but stop JUST slighly before you normally would.

Turn away slightly then into the turn sharply. Since you broke slightly less then usual your entereance speed will be higher: but this coems at a price, youll now start to understeer more then usual.

Start to modulate your let foot on the brake, and your right foot on the gas. Its hard to describe how much as each car is different, but as a "general" rule lift the gas about as much as your pushing down on the brakes.

This action will cause a few things: most obvious is the weight will shift forward onto your front tires slightly, giving you minimal improvement over steering... and since your still on the gas your rpms wont go down as much (try to stay in your power band). Removing the weight from the back and moving it to the front, while cornering faster then usual can also cause the back end to swin out slightly, talking a few degrees. This is called a slip angle, in as simple as i can decribe it, you can use the momentum of the car to rotate" itself around the turn, instead of using the tires to fully turn it.

Try to be done with this by the time you reach the apex so you can properly accelerate out of the corner; if you entered too fast youll find yourself understeer after the apex however so youll need to keep adjusting your line with your left foot on the brakes.
                    ___

the HARDEST part probably is adjsuting your left foot to use the brakes. Your right foot "naturaly" knows how to use the brakes.

Try this: Put your left foot on the clutch and push is down. now do it with your right foot, what do you notice? if your like a normal person, youll feel all the pressure differences until the clutch gives way.

Now do the opposite: press the gas and brakes with ur right foot, feel all the pressure differences? Press them with your left foot.. what happens? you probably mash the pedal and dont even feel it give way under your foot, they probably feel overly light and just fall away...

Most people when using their right foot- do just that. Its natural to push with your ankle since you needa "Careful touch" on the brakes and gas. Your left foot however is trained to mash the stiff clutch pedal, and you more or less push with your entire leg rather your ankle.

Practice teaching your elft foot to push with the ankle, and not the entire leg. i suggest learning how to brake with your left foot in a parking lot smoothly first. try to make sure your right foot is NOT on the gas while doing so however, though it can have its uses for cornerning it still puts excess wear on the brakes (i mean think about it: Your braking AND giving it gas...)

Comment

SidewaysGts explained it so well, im just gonna add exactly the way i do it, just in case if it might help..
                      When im going into the corner ill be in third gear, shift down to second, clutch still in, steer away lightly, brake enough to shift the weight, steer in hard, ebrake, and once the car is sliding in the corner, about the apex, set the ebrake down and wait till the exit, step on the gas and let out the clutch to kinda pull the car out of the drift so there is no tail wiggle.. thats how i do it.. its kinda hard to describe.. ill post a video kinda showing how its done... im the kind of person that learns fast but never really gets good at it... i hope this helps... and this was for X7 type R

Comment

Originally posted by AccordDriftr
                        SidewaysGts explained it so well, im just gonna add exactly the way i do it, just in case if it might help..
                        When im going into the corner ill be in third gear, shift down to second, clutch still in, steer away lightly, brake enough to shift the weight, steer in hard, ebrake, and once the car is sliding in the corner, about the apex, set the ebrake down and wait till the exit, step on the gas and let out the clutch to kinda pull the car out of the drift so there is no tail wiggle.. thats how i do it.. its kinda hard to describe.. ill post a video kinda showing how its done... im the kind of person that learns fast but never really gets good at it... i hope this helps... and this was for X7 type R
                        Hmm...so you have the clutch in the whole time in the corner??? From street bike racing or any racing really its bad to keep the clutch in while in a turn. Well actually more I think about it, thats why it's bad, it has the ability to let your rear end go...good for drifting bad for racing. So yea...just don't make a habit of having the clutch in when you really wanna race, or drive normally its hard to quit that bad habit. ugh...pfft.

Oh yea!! Congrats on using the search or just paying attention! I was really expecting a new thread and having to close it all over again, goodjob!

Comment

Yes, thats why i do it.. and when i do race i know that when you are in the throttle that you can grip better and corner better but this is my way of drifting... it might not be right but it works.

Comment

That works fine probably. its not a good idea to get on the throttle while trying to drift an FF as it is. The only way that back end will stay out is by momentum holding it out, once its gone the back end comes back.

Getting heavy o nthe throttle of an FF car can cause the tires to slip easily enough while turning, if they start to slip; added with the momentum pushing the back end out (which will now push the entire car away) youll get a NASTY case of understeer.

I hate to say it but give it a try in GT3, not perfect i admit but it gives you a rough idea of the type of understeer im talking about.

Your not going for speed, so having the clutch in wont hurt that either really, also since your not accelerate the tires at all it might be easier to turn the vehicle and control it since your concentrating as much of the tires as you can to turning.. instead of accelerating (that hole tires can only do so much % this, and so much % that thing)

just my opinion at least.

Comment

Nah the guy I know thats drifts good with FF uses a lot of throttle while sliding and high grip front tires. Thats how he pulls himself through the turn. Momentum can only take you so far, for a good exit you need to pull the car through the turn. The trick is to get the rears to keep sliding even while on throttle. When the rears re-grip the fun ends. I've seen him sliding with all 4 wheels smoking ...

Comment

Thats a bit different then a 4-wheel drift, the front wheels are powered so its easy to smoke them. having higher grip tires makes thigns a bit different, as its harder to spin them and u can take more control over your line.

As for momentum, it is the only thing that will keep that back end out since theres no power to aid it. once the momentum on the back end cant exceed the traction of the tires, itll come back in.

Comment

Working...
                                X