Heel toe or Left foot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel toe or Left foot?

Hey, I'm just wondering. Which is used by the pro's? Left foot or Heel toe breaking? What's the advantages and disadvantages they have over each other? Is one better than the other? I'm learning how to do both, but need A LOT of practice Anyone wanna help me out?
    Heel Toe
    60.00%
    Left foot
    40.00%

I have to use my left foot cause in my automatic old skool mustang there isint enough room for heel toe. It depends if you have a cluch too and how much room is down there. Dont try to learn both at the same time, understand one before the other.

Comment

Depends on the car, most drivers use left foot braking as a technqiue in FF cars to aviod understeer... just get some Vids and study their foot work... tsychica(cant spell) uses both in the touge showdown2 vid... i have it but i dont know how to post vids...

Comment

heel toe it lol

Comment

if you have an auto, use left foot. it is a lot easier with separate motions. if you have a stick, heel toe is used to downshift when breaking into a corner. if your not usin the clutch, left foot makes it asier sometimes. thats wat i like to do, and have a little exp. with both types in a 'racing' atmosphere

Comment

seems like a lot of you guys don't really know what heel-toe and left foot braking techniques are.

this is evident in your reference to using heel-toe in an automatic.

left foot braking and Heel-toe are both necessary if one plans to race in passenger sports cars.

Comment

heel-toe downshifting is used to "double clutch" when braking. Unless one has three feet, I doubt anyone can do this while left foot braking.

in race cars with adequate transmissions such as nascar stock cars or WRC cars, you can down shift while left foot braking, but in the Autobacks, petite Le Mans, autocross, or Solo Heel-toe downshifting is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by gundamzeta
                heel-toe downshifting is used to "double clutch" when braking. Unless one has three feet, I doubt anyone can do this while left foot braking.
                heel-toe is used to math the engines revs to the clutch, drivetrain speed so you can throttle out of a corner faster and smooth. double clutching is different.

left foot braking is used in cars with sequential transmissions (F1, CART) that don't have a clutch pedal.

left foot braking on a street car, production based race car is unecessary. Only rarely used.

I've said this before, if you don't have adequate practice, don't left foot brake or heel-toe in a race, it's dangerous.

Comment

heel-toe and left-foot braking are two different things...

heel-toe is a technique used to downshift and match revs during braking

left-foot braking is a braking technique so the driver can correct his racing line and/or brake and have the foot on the gas without upsetting the car's balance (as opposed to taking the right foot off the gas pedal and using it on the brake pedal)

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwalker
                    heel-toe is used to math the engines revs to the clutch, drivetrain speed so you can throttle out of a corner faster and smooth. double clutching is different.

left foot braking is used in cars with sequential transmissions (F1, CART) that don't have a clutch pedal.

left foot braking on a street car, production based race car is unecessary. Only rarely used.

I've said this before, if you don't have adequate practice, don't left foot brake or heel-toe in a race, it's dangerous.

i thought double clutching WAS rev matching?

If I am downshifting on the highway, and press the gas while holding down the clutch and then release the clutch while the engine is at a higher rev, I am essentailly doing the exact same thing that Heel-toe does.

Comment

Originally posted by gundamzeta
                      i thought double clutching WAS rev matching?

If I am downshifting on the highway, and press the gas while holding down the clutch and then release the clutch while the engine is at a higher rev, I am essentailly doing the exact same thing that Heel-toe does.
                      The only difference is, you can't be braking at the same time unless you do heel-toe. One is for a braking downshift and one is for a normal downshift. Incidentally, downshifting the way you describe it has nothing to do with double clutching; double clutching means to shift into neutral on the gearbox, blip the throttle, and then shift into the desired gear. There is no point in doing it on modern cars.

Comment

www.turnfast.org Go there and read everything.

Comment

a good reason for left foot braking is when you have a turbo car. this braking technique allows you to keep the turbo spooled while braking.

Comment

Re: Heel toe or Left foot?

Originally posted by Space Boy
                            Hey, I'm just wondering. Which is used by the pro's? Left foot or Heel toe breaking? What's the advantages and disadvantages they have over each other? Is one better than the other? I'm learning how to do both, but need A LOT of practice Anyone wanna help me out?
                            Of course the pros are going to use heal to breaking it allows you to go into a turn while breaking, changing a gear and keep your rpms and/or boost up. Left foot breaking takes longer. As you progress with your skills in drifting you'll find that heal-and-toe downshifting WILL allow you to be smother in your drifts.. Nightwalker pretty much covered it.

Comment

Double clutching is used in old cars. You would have to press the clutch in once to get it out of gear and into neutral, and then press it in again to get into your next gear.
                              Last edited by prodigy; 12-04-2003, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X