No announcement yet.

NOPI Rules and other info here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust: Must exit behind the driver, no part of exhaust shall exit in front of the drivers area. Mufflers are required for all cars at all events. The sound level must not exceed 100db at 50 feet, measured when the vehicle is performing on track. Rotary cars should make provisions to add mufflers as needed to meet requirements. NO rotary cars can be pitted in the Manufacturer’s Midway. Exhausts must be mounted in such a way so as not to impair the driver’s exit from the car or to protrude from the sides of the vehicle by more than 3”. Rotary cars that repeatedly rev their engines to the point of annoyance shall be barred from competing. NOTE: NOPI DRIFT reserves the right to determine what constitutes “annoying.”

WTF? That is pretty biased huh? Is there any grounds for these rules? Have they had any events that have constituted these needs? Or do they think these are drag cars?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedMachine View Post
      Exhaust: Must exit behind the driver, no part of exhaust shall exit in front of the drivers area. Mufflers are required for all cars at all events. The sound level must not exceed 100db at 50 feet, measured when the vehicle is performing on track. Rotary cars should make provisions to add mufflers as needed to meet requirements. NO rotary cars can be pitted in the Manufacturer’s Midway. Exhausts must be mounted in such a way so as not to impair the driver’s exit from the car or to protrude from the sides of the vehicle by more than 3”. Rotary cars that repeatedly rev their engines to the point of annoyance shall be barred from competing. NOTE: NOPI DRIFT reserves the right to determine what constitutes “annoying.”
      Does it really say that? is that some kind of joke?

Why would they have such provisions specifically against Rotary cars?

I guess Mazda will never considering sponsoring this series eh?

Comment

I think you have to consider the background of NOPI. The "manufacturers midway" at irwindale is the area right next to the stands. I could see why having a rotary car revving it's engine there would cause a lot of discomfort for the fans. The area where all of the drift cars would be parked / serviced would be the "pits". at least, in my understanding of the rules.

I think NOPI deals with a lot of riiiiiiiicers at NOPI nationals, and even at some of their drag racing events, so they have rules to allow them to deter the 10% of idiots that they get. I think that if a team were professional about how they acted, and wasn't being careless, they would treat you just the same as any other driver / team. But if some 'kid off the streets' brings his rotary to go drifting, and his foot won't stay off the accelerator pedal, they can point to this rule and kick the kid out.

now, I don't work for or represent NOPI in any way / shape / form, but this is my interpretation of the rule. They're trying to nip a problem in the butt before it happens.

Comment

i've never seen or heard in this case a rotary being an *Censored**Censored**Censored* in the "midway" at irwindale or even in the pits, isnt the nopi crowd usually a bunch of civics. someone at nopi is just jealous of the replacement for displacement.

Comment

WTF? That is pretty biased huh? Is there any grounds for these rules? Have they had any events that have constituted these needs? Or do they think these are drag cars?
            OK Rotary Powered Brat it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
              Does it really say that? is that some kind of joke?

Why would they have such provisions specifically against Rotary cars?

I guess Mazda will never considering sponsoring this series eh?
              That is quoted from their rules. I am guessing the Falken FD wouldn't pass their "standards" as it isn't exactly the most tame vehicle out there I am guessing that there must be a reason steming from their drag racing or something since I haven't heard of anything regarding problems with rotary cars at their drifting events (have they even had any yet?) I don't ever rev up the FD in the pits so that it is annoying to others (at least I don't try to and no one has ever complained)
              Last edited by SpeedMachine; 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GBC View Post
                OK Rotary Powered Brat it is.

Lets get into some of that

Comment

That is quoted from their rules. I am guessing the Falken FD wouldn't pass their "standards" as it isn't exactly the most tame vehicle out there I am guessing that there must be a reason steming from their drag racing or something since I haven't heard of anything regarding problems with rotary cars at their drifting events (have they even had any yet?) I don't ever rev up the FD in the pits so that it is annoying to others (at least I don't try to and no one has ever complained)
                  I think it stems from a lot of the east coast rotary-powered drag racers. I haven't been to an east coast drag racing event, but I know that at some locations (particularly the NE), there will be 10 or more 8-second rotary-powered cars, and I've heard that revving your engines is actually 'cool' so to speak. I can see how it would get very annoying very quickly.

Like I mentioned, I think that if you approach things professionally, then there's nothing to be worried about. I think they're just trying to be pre-emptive.

Comment

I think everyone on page two with the exception of GBC is missing the point here, which is rotary powered brat.

Also look at what nopi has been doing. Drag racing. There is a larger percentage of rotary owners who rev their engines for NO REASON to redline and rotaries are loud as hell, which makes it impossible to do stuff as you cant hear.

example. Standing within 20' of Milano car in grid can you carry on a conversation?

The answer is no, because you have a rb25 being held at redline the entirety of hte period it is in grid, which you cannot hear/speak over.

Replace rb25, with rotary, and that distance increases to 50+'.

Now do you understand the point of that rule?

IMO I think anyone that keeps revving their engine for no reason to redline for minutes on end should have a 2krpm rev limiter installed on their cars that is only shut off while on track.

But I think we all know where the rule is coming from, were just chosing to nitpick and ignore what should really be discussed here, which is rotary powered brat.

Comment

Working...
                    X