Helmet for Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet for Drifting?

What helmet do you use when drifting and how much did it cost?

for use at autoX, rallyX, tracks, driftdays etc

theres so many dammed helmets, i have no idea what a helmet costing $1000 has over one costing $300 if they are both full helmets

I use a Pyrotect SA2000-approved full-face. It's this one: http://store.yahoo.com/soloracerdotc...ullfacesa.html

I bought it for drift events and driving schools.

Why SA2000 over M2000? SA is fire-retardant and sometimes required at the racetracks in my state. Therefore, better safe than sorry.

It's not that heavy and relatively comfortable. I usually forget I have it on until I bump my head into the side of the sunroof.

Comment

i dont use one, thats why it hurt when my head bounced off the B pillar when i killed a drift

Comment

Arai quantum

msrp 497.95

http://www.araiamericas.com/product/product_home.html

bought it lightly used for $100

Comment

KBC VR-1 in Black Chrome + Black Iridium Face Shield.

$189 from www.helmetcity.com

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...vr1blackchrome

Comment

Depending on whose events you go to you should look at their technical requirements. Most event holders are ok with you using an MA95 helmet or better helmet. I am not going to go into another biggest helmet thread in the universe explinations like I have in the past, if you want to see that utilize the search function. The BIGGEST thing, and the thing that is unique to SA testing requirements, is not the helmet being flame resistant, (but they are) it is the fact that they are tested to make sure they protect against low surface area impacts, like a roll bar or a B-pillar (moron), or like if a space robot punched you in the head with its super metal fist, no other helmets rated less than that have that safety requirement. Go out and get an SA2000 rated helmet, get a full face one and you are covered for more classes of racing than you car is and you will most likely be able to use it for a few years assuming you don't 'use' the helmet. Buying used helmets is a no no, not only is that just nasty, but if the helmet was really 'used' it will not protect you.

Comment

LOVMUFN is right. You might also want to consider getting a helmet that's Snell approved. They're an independant lab group that tests helmets to a MUCH higher standard than the DOT does.

I ride with a Suomy Spec 1R, and I use it for autox and drifting as well. Love the thing.

Don't spend MORE than $600 on a helmet. It's a ripoff. Arai, Suomy, Shoei, and Simpson all make quality helmets that are comfortable for less than $600.

Comment

^^ that helmet is still only an M2000 rated helmet... M designation may not be usable in later regular driving events wether it is Snell or DOT. SA deignations are already required by at least the Drift Assoc. LLC. when running tandem. Drift Assoc. LLC. runs tech for many events so be prepared. The future has a funny way of crapping on your happieness if you don't prepare for it. Later on we may require an SA helmet simply if you have a roll cage, for example, if the insurance company so desires. The always popular, "But, I used it at drift day XX." accompanied by some retarded face does not work on me and won't work for long, especially when it is the same people repeatedly. Tech people are there to do their jobs and if some higher power vouches for you once, don't always expect it. Go prepared.

Comment

is there anything cheaper????
                  like less than 200???? or its not worth it to buy anything this cheap?

Comment

it could be a stupid question but is snell and SA same thing???
                    i was looking at Bieffe GPR i think it looks pretty cool and all but it says snell and dot approved. hard to find SA approved.
                    Last edited by seiyess; 12-28-2004, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Snell and DOT are the organizations that give the rating... SA is one of the rating categories.

Comment

Check out Karting stores, I got my G-Force for $301 and its SA2000 rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Team503

Don't spend MORE than $600 on a helmet. It's a ripoff. Arai, Suomy, Shoei, and Simpson all make quality helmets that are comfortable for less than $600.
                          When you spend cheap on helmet you don't get the right one. M helmets are not allowed on any drift days....

I spent over 1K on my helmet. I got mine for Safety, One of the lightest helmet and the right equipment for the right events.

Helmet is very important. You don't want to go cheap in these.

-Al

Comment

As far as Drift Days are concerned, the ones run by Drift Assoc., an M95 helmet is still ok to use at regular Drift Days when you do not have a roll cage with a bar that goes by the drivers' head. SA is 'needed' (not really but maybe sooner than you think, AND NO, FOAM ON THE ROLL BAR DOES NOT MAKE IT OK! I know there is a such thing as approved foam covers but those are required in some racing types IN ADDITION to an SA helmet.) because of ratings and such.
                            Last edited by LOVMUFN; 12-28-2004, 11:52 AM.

Comment

What Helmet do you use when Drifting

Hey Boys and Gals,
                              We have just received new Automotive Racing Helmets from HJC. Snell 2000 rating. Full Face helmet $250.00 w/ helmet bag. If you are interested, please call us. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X