No announcement yet.

Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Originally posted by Rufio_28532
    I was wondering if the Datsun 510 is a good drift car, and is it possible to put a 2nd or 3rd gen mazda rx7 motor into it, i have seen 1st gen motors in these cars and the car was preety quick!
    Why dont you buy one and figure it for for yourself. Don't let people tell you if its a good drift car or not. It depends on what the person is comfortable with. Its all opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ZDRIFTER
      510's are not good drifter's because of the rear suspension design does not have that much camber and can cause the car brake lose or spin instead of drifting.
      You dont know what your talking about so be quiet.

Comment

Re: Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Originally posted by Erkumi
        Why dont you buy one and figure it for for yourself. Don't let people tell you if its a good drift car or not. It depends on what the person is comfortable with. Its all opinion.
        You expect someone to go out and purchase a car to see if it can drift instead of researching and making sure it can before they make a costly purchase, that could be in vain?
        Last edited by jaydm180sx; 08-14-2004, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Originally posted by jaydm180sx
          You expect someone to go out and purchase a car to see if it can drift instead of researching and making sure it can before they make a costly purchase, that could be in vain?
          uh. ya.

so he doesnt like the way it "drifts", then big deal. drifting isnt the only thing you can do with your car. 510s are great fun, good for autocross and scca stuff, or just driving around. let him buy one and try it, if he doesnt like it and still doesnt want to keep it. sell it to another drifting.com idiot and make a profit.

Comment

this is my first post on this site! yay! I am the driver of the orange 4dr 510 at every DriftDay. I think any car can been drifted, some are easier some are harder. Unfortunately, the 510, in my opinion, falls into the harder side, but can be done. I started driving at Drift events because it was free track/seat time in between autox competitions. After awhile, i found myself clutch popping and purposely getting it sideways! hahaha! It is so fun! Well, i get lucky from time to time..more like 5 great drifts out of 30 tries!!!! Alex (Battle Version) has driven my car before and he kicked butt. It only took Alex one run to get to know my car, when it has taken me atleast 5 years...and i still dont know my car. From my experience, after driving my 510 at autox and drift events, almost all the other cars seem easier for me! Since i have been learning how to control a car sideways, i feel that it had helped me so much at Autox events, i dont freak out or spin out anymore when i am competing!

Just to give you an idea on what is my setup, here it is:

KA24De
            LSD
            Shortened struts (Koni)
            Ground control coilovers (F 250# 8in.)
            RCA
            1in. F. swaybar
            JIC camber plates
            Bilstein (Reverse mount) TRD shocks
            Nismo rear springs
            3/8 ST Rear swaybars
            Adjustable rear X-member

hope this helps!

Comment

my set up...
              rallye sport front coilovers with camber plates and shortened struts and tokico illumina shocks, ermish racing pro shock rear coilovers with ermish racing rear adjustable anti-sway bar,subie r-180 diff,jaz fuel cell in spare tire carrier, aeromotive pump and all new fuel lines, dave turner motorsports wilwood brake kit with proportioning valve, cnc hydraulic hand brake, ka24de with custom headers, jwt cams, custom intake, stock ecu and mount kit by mckinney motorsports, 5-speed ka tranny with spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel and b&m shifter, full cage with corbeau seats and crow harness, momo steering wheel with removeable hub, panasport 15x7 rims with ziex 512 tires

the car is currently experiencing nose dive under braking, so i'm going to throw on some stiffer spring to fix the problem. other then that, when the nose doesn't dive then it handles great for a car with such a short wheel base. after i get back from basic and have a chance to test the car i'll let everyone know.

the way the rear suspension is designed creates a lot of change of alignment through travel, so its a bit tricky on the edge
              Last edited by amwalker; 11-13-2004, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Of course i expect them to do that. How do you think the AE86 came to be a drift car. How do you think the 240 came to be a drift car, etc. People went out and bought these cars and found out that they wee good drift cars.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Of course i expect them to do that. How do you think the AE86 came to be a drift car. How do you think the 240 came to be a drift car, etc. People went out and bought these cars and found out that they wee good drift cars.
                  But in the beginning they didnt buy those cars with the intent of drifting. They bought them to drive them then found out that they were good drift cars.

You made it seem that you felt that a person should buy a car with the sole purpose for seeing IF IT CAN drift. I have no problem with someone buying a car that they want THEN seeing if it can drift. But I'm the type of person that will research my purchase, If I want a drift car I will research and find out what car is the best drifter to get in my price range. I see it as foolhearty to purchase any car with the hopes that it might be able to drift. In this case the car is a Datsun 510 and Rufio is actually doing the right thing buy asking if the car is a good drifter instead of going out and just purchasing it. Luckily there many members on this site that can give him great advise about this car and I applaud the fact that he asked

There is nothing wrong with asking around before purchasing a car!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

But in the beginning they didnt buy those cars with the intent of drifting. They bought them to drive them then found out that they were good drift cars.

You made it seem that you felt that a person should buy a car with the sole purpose for seeing IF IT CAN drift. I have no problem with someone buying a car that they want THEN seeing if it can drift. But I'm the type of person that will research my purchase, If I want a drift car I will research and find out what car is the best drifter to get in my price range. I see it as foolhearty to purchase any car with the hopes that it might be able to drift. In this case the car is a Datsun 510 and Rufio is actually doing the right thing buy asking if the car is a good drifter instead of going out and just purchasing it. Luckily there many members on this site that can give him great advise about this car and I applaud the fact that he asked

There is nothing wrong with asking around before purchasing a car!
                    Yeah youre researching other peoples opinions. Just because some people dont like the cars doesnt mean other people wont. In this case, researching doesnt belong here. If you want a drift car find, any rear wheel drive car, test it, and if you like the feel get it. If you dont, then dont get it. Just researching other peoples opinions isnt gunna do sh!t for you.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a Datsun 510 a good drifting car?

Yeah youre researching other peoples opinions. Just because some people dont like the cars doesnt mean other people wont. In this case, researching doesnt belong here. If you want a drift car find, any rear wheel drive car, test it, and if you like the feel get it. If you dont, then dont get it. Just researching other peoples opinions isnt gunna do sh!t for you.
                      alright wth are you talking about. you can't go out and test drive a car to drift it... that would be dumb there's too much risk and buying the car is a waste of money. sure, i didn't use people's opinions for my scirocco but it was a lot harder to prepare for racing and drifting than say an ae86. you must research peoples opinions to know what kind of car is easier to drift. some cars are quite hard to drift and people are better off getting the cars that are said to be better since you have a better chance of succeeding in that car. i say the datsun 510 is an okay drift car it aint the best but it aint the worst from what i heard

Comment

Yea and going out to test drive someones car and sliding it on the test drive isn't going to do anything for you either. If I didn't know anything about Drifting and someone came to my house to test drive my 510 and started all that rear end spinning stuff, I would punch them in the eye quick style and toss them out of the car. The way to buy a car is to research it to make sure that it could be what you are looking for, then go drive it and possibly get it. If 20 people told him it wasn't a good Drifter, why would he buy it if that's what he's looking for? Doesn't make sense. The final decision is always on the buyer but beware the person that doesn't make an informed decision. Just plain stupidity far as im concerned.

Also JBlood, if you think everyone on the site are idiots, you might try somewhere else to call home.

Comment

Yeah but you totoally missed my point.

Comment

First of all you need to stop implying that testing a car means drifting it. Secondly my point is that other people say a car is bad for drifting just because they dont like the feel of it. And there might be alt of people who dont like it. For some other people a datsun 510 could be the ultimate drift machine. Look at Alex Pfeifer(i dont think i spelled his name corectly). He said in another post that an AE86 drifts easier than an rx7 fc. I know a person who said they didnt like the way an AE86 drifts and they thought the fc drifted easier. Point is dont buy a car on opinion, buy it on how you feel about. And lastly, Ghost you confused the crap outa me with when you said "If 20 people told him it wasn't a good Drifter, why would he buy it if that's what he's looking for?"

Comment

Yea, you're right, that was kind of confusing. What I should have typed is this, "If 20 people told him it was not a good Drift car, why would he buy it and spend all that money if he was looking for a Drift car".

See, if I am looking for a Drift car, I am not going to go out and buy, say, a Camaro on the reasoning that if it doesn't Drift well, I can always use it for drags. Why would I buy a possible Drifter but a great Drag car if I am looking for a Drift car? Doesn't make sense. What I would do is come to a site like this and ask if anyone knows how well a Camaro Drifts. Then probably CrazyHawaiian or Revlimit would pipe up and tell me how it is. That's all this guy did and it sparked a 2 page debate.

Now you are right in the reasoning that he should find out for himself but how is he going to do that if, A. he doesn't know anyone who has one since believe or not, they are pretty scarce or B. he doesn't try it on the test drive. If he doesn't Drift on the test drive, or know someone who has one that he can try with, then the only other reasonable way to find out some info is to ask.
                              Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 08-16-2004, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Yeah I guess your right.

Comment

Working...
                                X