Is Tyson Beckford going into Formula D? Rumor mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RyanHampton
    I think it would be great if Tyson started drifting. This sport needs some media attention. Regardless of what people think, he would be a great value to all of us. I could write a thread of about 2 thousand words about the benefits, but I don't have that much time....Before you go flaming the idea, trust the people who have met him he is very personable and willing to learn.

Peace,,,,
    Ryan Hampton
    I think the problem is that ..even though he might be a cool guy who just wants to learn..its hard to believe that unless we actually meet him, because well..lets face it..its hard to determine the agendas of famous people..its hard to tell if what they are doing is just for a hobby or to help boost their career.

Im not saying that he is in this for either one because I simply dont know..all Im saying is not to be too hard on people for thinking that his motives might be more career oriented than him just being a regular guy who wants to learn how to drift.

Again..Im not trying to peg him for either one but just trying to show why people would think ill of him..I mean he just signed a tire deal with pirelli..and everyone knows how huge a part tires play in drifting..so it makes things questionable.

I figure he probably learned about drifting through his tire deal and just wants to see what its about..but who knows..I dont know the guy no one really does..you met him so all we can do is take your word for it..I just say forgive people of they are skeptical..

Comment

going to a drift day does not really boost your career... you go there just for the heck of it.

Comment

drifting is an interesting sport its fun and exciting to watch. i wouldnt be surprised if alot of famous people started to become interested in it. as car enthusiast we take alot of pride in our knowledge and skill, and seem to look down on alot of new comers in the sport. we were all once the same you know. after all its for love of the game.

Comment

i saw billy blancs the tae bo guy racing, why not tyson beckford?

Comment

Well I say good for him. I've never been the type of person to focus on people being a celebrity. I'm sure they sometimes wish they could blend back into the crowd with the rest of us. Hope he enjoys the sport.

Comment

Awww did some one delete my post?
              O well, its cool if celebs come out to play
              maybe they will give out some autographs or something

Max

Comment

Originally posted by DomLee
                Hyde

Tyson could be drifting. What would be WRONG w/ that?

He is just like one of us...a fan of drifting. So again...what is WRONG w/ that? Why is it that people are against him drifting?

What IF he could whoop your a$$ in drifting?

The only thing different between you and him...is that he is a celebrity. So if you can drift...why can't he? Why can't he enjoy the same "sport" that you do?

Paul Newman is a celebrity. He races all the damn time. Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and Jerry Seinfeld are known car nuts...so why is Tyson being "hated" for possibly wanting to drift?
                hey man, im just statin my personal opinion. so dont get on to me bout what i think. i personally think its cool a celebrity likes drifting. but i think the whole thing bout him wantin to do formula d is kinda out there. hes a actor/model. and he should do what he does best. thats just what i think.

Comment

I say that if he has the skill to be a competitive Formula D driver, then its ok for him to do it. Otherwise, its kind of pointless.....

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
                    whats with the escalade comment? He's half chinese you know
                    The next Tiger Woods of Drifting?!

Comment

I think CrazyHawaiian has a great point. We did our best to make sure came to our event to learn and nothing more.

Naoki
                      www.driftday.com

Comment

Come on the guy seems actually interested. He went out to a Drift Day not just a Formula D or a D1. He went out to a grassroots event. This show something.

Comment

Good point carzy h...

I know that Paul Newman wants to just be a racer also. I have met Paul a few times while racing and I can tell you he does not want the actor attention. His first and foremost ambition is to be treated like a racer not a celeb. From what I know Tyson has the same mentality. I don't know how drifting could help Tyson's carreer...So what is everyones motive or agenda? I would like drifting to grow, and I think this does nothing but help all of us. It is just like when everyone hates on ricers, who do you think helps pay for all the sponsors? Without those Hondas, Toyotas, BMWs' with body kits who is going to pay the bills. With drifting becoming more popular, it helps open new doors for people to do drifting at the pro level. I hope everyone sees and understands what marketing can do for drifting and all the people who are involved.

2morecents..

ryan
                          Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

If Tyson is skilled at drifting, then more power to him...but, IMO, I think it will bring a little bit of unwanted attention to the sport. Soon they'll make a movie about it..and it'll explode like the import/street drag scene did.Then people will be drifting for all the wrong reasons..Atleast that's what I think.

just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by tougeC
                              If Tyson is skilled at drifting, then more power to him...but, IMO, I think it will bring a little bit of unwanted attention to the sport. Soon they'll make a movie about it..and it'll explode like the import/street drag scene did.Then people will be drifting for all the wrong reasons..Atleast that's what I think.

just my 2 cents
                              who cares if people are drifting for the wrong reasons, as long as it doesnt affect you and as long as we partciapate in sanctioned events such as DDday, DGtrials, etc we're still true to the spirit of the sport. if there are wannabes let there be wannabes. im tired of all the hating goin around here lately. and formost fast and furious brought attention to underground street racing. we shouldnt be drifting illegally anyways, as any other motorsport it should remain on the track. and if someone is dumb enough to die trying to drift on public roads then thats on them.

Comment

Originally posted by sidebyslide
                                who cares if people are drifting for the wrong reasons, as long as it doesnt affect you and as long as we partciapate in sanctioned events such as DDday, DGtrials, etc we're still true to the spirit of the sport. if there are wannabes let there be wannabes. im tired of all the hating goin around here lately. and formost fast and furious brought attention to underground street racing. we shouldnt be drifting illegally anyways, as any other motorsport it should remain on the track. and if someone is dumb enough to die trying to drift on public roads then thats on them.
                                You don't know about profiling do you?

Max

Comment

Working...
                                X