No announcement yet.

FORMULA D Premiere on G4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so i'm in Tokyo right now with Chris Forsberg. We spent the day at Ebisu filming he and Dai drifting. We filmed them on a Touge run, on the "Drift Land" course (where they filmed Drift Bible) and at the "south course" which...as Kumukubo said himself "is the fastest and most dangerous course" at Ebisu. He also said that if you can master the south course, you can beat most if not all of the Japanese drivers.

All I can say about the comments here is that you haven't seen the show. G4 has 2 shows launching, for 2 very different sections of the automotive market. If you haven't seen street fury, it's exactly what the promo says..girls and stupidly tricked out cars. Drifting as we all know, is far different. Or maybe you don't know...because you haven't seen the show.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but I'm working really hard to show drifting the right way. I will be happy to get your feedback on the show when we air it. Frankly, there wouldn't be a show at all without driver feedback.

But don't cancel your cable because you didn't like a promo for Street Fury or claim you knew G4 was going to ruin it like everyone else. If you do, you wont see Chris and Dai at Ebisu, or Kumakubo's new car before the next Option video.

I'll let Chris tell you about his trip 1st hand. Feel free to ask him if he thinks G4's coverage is not up to what he expects from drifting on TV.

Comment

G4tv...check your PM, Grip Video is in Japan right now.

Comment

Originally posted by G4tv
        Ok, so i'm in Tokyo right now with Chris Forsberg. We spent the day at Ebisu filming he and Dai drifting. We filmed them on a Touge run, on the "Drift Land" course (where they filmed Drift Bible) and at the "south course" which...as Kumukubo said himself "is the fastest and most dangerous course" at Ebisu. He also said that if you can master the south course, you can beat most if not all of the Japanese drivers.

All I can say about the comments here is that you haven't seen the show. G4 has 2 shows launching, for 2 very different sections of the automotive market. If you haven't seen street fury, it's exactly what the promo says..girls and stupidly tricked out cars. Drifting as we all know, is far different. Or maybe you don't know...because you haven't seen the show.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but I'm working really hard to show drifting the right way. I will be happy to get your feedback on the show when we air it. Frankly, there wouldn't be a show at all without driver feedback.

But don't cancel your cable because you didn't like a promo for Street Fury or claim you knew G4 was going to ruin it like everyone else. If you do, you wont see Chris and Dai at Ebisu, or Kumakubo's new car before the next Option video.

I'll let Chris tell you about his trip 1st hand. Feel free to ask him if he thinks G4's coverage is not up to what he expects from drifting on TV.

You know we are going to watch your show, its drifting for Christ sakes. We were merely evoking conversation about the manner it was promoted through that particular ad. Now that you know how that ad was overwhelmingly perceived, hopefully G4 will change that method of advertising in the future.

Comment

lookoutmike, there are plenty things i can reply to you with but just remember that the world is bigger then just your little corner of it.

g4 is doing a badass thing and it seems they just get slammed by it. you think they are trying to get us to watch it? lol they know we are already going to watch it but what about those other people that arent really into cars? that ad did what it was supposed to do. im sure comcast has a damn good marketing department. if you think you can make a better one that can bring more viewers then why arent you some advertising guru working with some firm making a 6+ figure income?

gfg g4!w00t!

Comment

WHOA CRAP!!!

I know the girl in the video! not the booty-shaking one, the other one...

Comment

I've been involved with motorsports for most of my life (including roles with the PR of a major race team - RaceRace America Ltd. - and with the press - co-writer of "Race Fan's Attic: AKA Bats in the Belfry" column for RPM Racing News out of Latrobe, PA.).

Due to instances beyond my control, I had to give up an open wheel career. Instead, now I find myself entertaining drifting.

I'm glad that the motorsport I plan to participate in on a national level (car construction is ongoing) is getting television exposure, however it'd be insulting to my potential sponsors and to my team if we get caught up in a "gangsta fo lyfe" portrayal of the sport.

When my sponsors would be local hobby shops, the garage where I work, the slot car track where I race as a hobbyist, and the specialty company that I purchase the majority of my parts from (ProperMG.com), it's highly offensive to them to be associated with quasi-strip shows.

I am glad that G4 wants their Formula Drift coverage to be authentic and true to the sport, however, keep in mind that television coverage of motorsport must keep the sport's best interests in mind as well as their own, and this means keeping the all-important sport's sponsors happy. If sponsors aren't happy with the media they receive, they walk, and when sponsors walk, the racing ends.

Comment

Rice Fury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon G4...show da Mischief in the other block..real racing is what's up..

Booty is cool..but it's overrated..Anyone can go to HIN and take pics with the girls...

We crave action....

Give G4 Props everyone for showing Drifting and supporting Formula D...
                They will do a killer job I am sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
                  I've been involved with motorsports for most of my life (including roles with the PR of a major race team - RaceRace America Ltd. - and with the press - co-writer of "Race Fan's Attic: AKA Bats in the Belfry" column for RPM Racing News out of Latrobe, PA.).

Due to instances beyond my control, I had to give up an open wheel career. Instead, now I find myself entertaining drifting.

I'm glad that the motorsport I plan to participate in on a national level (car construction is ongoing) is getting television exposure, however it'd be insulting to my potential sponsors and to my team if we get caught up in a "gangsta fo lyfe" portrayal of the sport.

When my sponsors would be local hobby shops, the garage where I work, the slot car track where I race as a hobbyist, and the specialty company that I purchase the majority of my parts from (ProperMG.com), it's highly offensive to them to be associated with quasi-strip shows.

I am glad that G4 wants their Formula Drift coverage to be authentic and true to the sport, however, keep in mind that television coverage of motorsport must keep the sport's best interests in mind as well as their own, and this means keeping the all-important sport's sponsors happy. If sponsors aren't happy with the media they receive, they walk, and when sponsors walk, the racing ends.

why should the whole import lifestyle (i say import because its roots come from the import side of the spectrum) change because your sponsors think its offensive? its just part of the game. i think many companies are plenty happy with the exposure they have recieved with hiring models. dont believe me, go ask the guys at falken...

Comment

Your sponsors will not be unhappy bud. Major non-endemic companies are now embracing drifting/FD and not looking back. I can personally vouch for that and the happiness they have for the relationship between FD/G4. Circuit City, EA Games and Tyco RC amongst others all have extremely conservative ways of doing business. So now that you know that, why don't you go ahead and head on out and put together a campaign, come run in the series.

Remember what you saw is a spot for the block not FD singled out and Street Fury is more of that Girls/lifestlye stuff you are referring to. The 2 programs are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. The concept behind the FD show is to show it is it's purest form; the sport and the personalities involved. Apparently that is not clear. I think it shoud be somewhat clear considering Josh mentioned he and Forsberg are in Japan shooting some sick stuff right now with Dai and Kumakubo. To me that shows a great deal of effort and an understanding of what should be done. Next would be considering that they prodiction company that has been hired is one of the premier in the world of motor sports filming. Multiple camera angles, numerous in car cams and 24P filming to me shows a great interest in doing it right.

Comment

A quote from the original post:"Attracted to flashy visuals and non-stop action, many pro drifters discovered the sport by playing hit driving games such as Need for Speed Underground, the second highest selling sports game for EA. Racing games also make the automotive scene appealing to video game fans who easily change gears from joysticks to stick shifts."

Who wrote this and who are they talking about???

Comment

I heard JR learned from the InitialD Arcade game...Not NFSU....That's WRONG

Comment

Will G4 be televising the FD events that will be run with Champ Car? Footage of the guys drifting the streets at Long beach next week would be awesome!

Comment

yeah, we have every right to think the show will suck. I just watched the trailor and its hillarious. I also found it funny how that "cool gangsta guy" was wearing a MotorHead shirt, which is like hardcore U.K. metal biker stuff. That car in the beggining looked like it could shoot missiles out of those holes in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by G4tv
                              taken from g4tv's website:
                              "As the exclusive network broadcaster of the Formula Drift Championship Series, G4 will help launch drifting into the mainstream, covering not just the competition, but also the games, car modding and music that contribute to this unique culture."

3/4's of this programs description already make the show what it's not supposed to be.

I truly hope FormulaD puts their foot down.

Comment

i learned drifting on gran turismo 3. thats all i have to say. havent seen the show yet but i know g4 is apparently getting out there and getting as much footage and stuff as they can from what i gather.

Comment

Working...
                                X