Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can everyone be so mad at this movie for bringing drifting into the mainstream but at the same time be totally excited about the 2005 Formula D season being televised?!
    Quite obviously, because watching Formula D on TV is just that, Formula D.

While the Hollywood movie is an adaptation (distortion?) of a lifestyle which does not do the real thing justice. You think the movie "Pearl Harbor" was a good representation of what happened in 1941? On some levels, perhaps, but on many, hell no.

I'm dissapointed in the fact that there will probably be many distortions regarding the presentation of scene in general, and THAT'S what is going to screw the present enthusiasts over.
    Last edited by Pennyman; 06-09-2005, 10:03 PM.

Comment

...I think the problem here is that its "cool" to hate on the fast and the furious movies because its "mainstream" and "mainstream" isn't cool to the "purists"...but honestly by reading the posts in this thread..people are looking like hypocrites..
      first off, everyone has become hypocrites! Do u know why..umm let me think because nothing has come good of these movies (raise of hand who thinks fast and the furious movies are good) well personally and a lot of people would agree that they are the most fake and unrealistic movies that come from hollywood, why cant they show what its really about, with out adding a lame stupid so called twist to the story. making it is a decrase on the world of motorsports (most of these cars on the movie are cars u park and look at) no good has come from the movie except now you get a hole generation of cocky wannabe racers that spend all there money on systems and 10ft 50 doller spoilers because they think if they have these essentials, they think they can kick everyones *Censored**Censored**Censored*..

i do get what your saying about how formula d, option etc..yes they are being televised but there very respected and very organized events. They show the true sport of drifting with out the lame story, no lame impossible events occuring(oh no my cars overheating and my floor board falls out) and no getto special effects (10mins to get accross the line but i have a 10sec car). NOT everyone watches option vids because u cant rent them at blockbuster or watches formula d, because a lot of people dont have g4(thats including me) these kind of movies kill all motor sports. Media kills everything especially fast and the furious being at the top...

Comment

What you guys are asking for is a documentry and documentries are boring! They are attempting to make a movie that is entertaining to EVERYONE not just the hardcore enthusiasts

Of course its not going to be an accurate representation of our lifestyle its a freakin movie! I never argued that it the movies were a realistic representation of our lifestyle..of course its fake and played up to look good on film.. If someone gets screwed up by that then get mad at them not at the people who make the film..

Its like you guys feel like they are purposely trying to screw everything up by making these movies.

The only reason I brought up Formula D is becase no matter how respected or organized Formula D is it is still just as highly capiable of doing the exact same thing that you all think the movie is going to do. Just because its respected and unscripted doesn't mean that some kid isn't going to go out and try and drift in the streets because he saw it on TV.

Calling the movie a disgrace to motorsports is really just over dramatic...no where does universal try and claim that they are depicting real life and telling an exact story of everything that goes down in our scene...heck this third movie doesn't even take place in America!

Oh and as far as what good as come out of the fast and the furious movies? Think of Hot Import Nights...and other events like D1 and heck even Formula D....think of the MAJOR sponsors that they have...do you think any of that would have come as easily if the ticket sales of the fast and the furious movies didn't show those huge companies how big our culture was?

If the movies were really hurting things then the organizers of hot import nights and import show off and D1 and all the other major players would be out there protesting the movie...but guess what? they do the exact OPPOSITE! If Universal went to them and said "hey we need help promoting this movie" do you really think they'd say no?! They would probably help promote it for free because they know every time one of these movies comes out it brings a boom of new people into the scene and makes it grow.

Its because of those movies that those comapanies noticed us and invested in the events that we like and made them better..and why they'll continue to do so if this third movie does as well as the first two did.

I understand if you guys are upset because of the newbies..because yes they can be annoying and yes they do stupid things like street race in minivans and rev on cars going in the opposite direction....but ya know what...that isn't the movie's fault..if your going to blame anyone blame people who can't seperate reality from fiction..not someone who thinks our culture is cool and decided to make a movie about it....

our culture isn't really old..infact its INCREDIBLY young and the bulk of people in it now started out the same or in a similar way..and eventually newbies learn and become educated enthusiasts which makes the culture bigger and stronger as a whole..and I personally dont see anything wrong with that.

Obviously I can go on and on about this but Im just gonna return to my original point that I feel that a lot of people who complain about the movies really just need to get over themselves and quit misplacing blame for the stupid things that some people do.

Comment

I think the Import scene is the only american youth culture movement that was helped by Hollywood.

This about it..

Was there a Surf movie that helped Surfing.

Or Skating..

Snowboard..

Not even the CART movies helped Cart.

I think it's pretty funny how our culture can bank on the fact that TFATF put us in the spotlight.

Pretty pathetic.

Stay away form Hollywood and be core.

Ban anyone who even considers going in the new FATF as a total whore sellout.

We need some integrity dammit..

That is all.

Comment

Everybody needs to stop crying.

It's just a movie.

If there are any "repercussions" as a result of this movie, then it is by fault of dumb drivers who take it upon themselves to street race, dumb cops who impose their "superiority complex" to anyone who has an exhaust, and kids who eat this fast and furious stuff up.

So stop whining. I'm looking forward to this movie because I'm a big fan of Justin Lin, a fan of movies with fast cars, a big supporter of asian american filmmaking and a supporter of asian casting (whether its set in location or not). I'm not too concerned with whether it accuractly depicts a true life of a "street racer" because to tell you the truth.. the film would be a serious bore. Like i said, it's just a movie to entertain the masses in hopes to ENTERTAIN. Nothing more, nothing less. so everyone and their moms need to relax.

P.S. I guarantee you this movie will be the best of all the f&f films because Justin Lin is really talented.. this from a film student's POV.

Comment

if ff3 makes too-g@y a viable option for the masses, maybe we might see more posers flying off the side of some mountain, putting an end to idiots who quote lines from the series of movie to support technical solutions they come up with.

ahhh... one can only wish.

if they make a movie about drift, cool, just watch it, pirate it and get over it. Besides, isn't it common knowledge that teh hachi roku can nevar lose on the downhill, thanks to Initial D, the average keyboard drifter's guide to too-g@y?

Comment

It's coming,
                quit your bitchings,
                adapt,
                change,
                move the f__k on!

Comment

Yeah, let's all buy civics! The drift scene won't know what hit 'em! (not)

Only time will tell now, I guess.

Comment

formula d focuses on legal drifting while 3f3f does not..thats a simple difference

Comment

Originally posted by ///AMG
                      Ban anyone who even considers going in the new FATF as a total whore sellout.

We need some integrity dammit..

That is all.
                      Sure "sellout", go ban half the industry...HRE, CWEST, Mitsubishi, Toyo Tires, Bomex, etc...

and talk about whats bad for the industry...hypocrites

http://nikita.arheim.no/Dateline_Street_Racing.wmv
                      Last edited by swifty949; 06-10-2005, 09:54 AM.

Comment

well damn...the movie is taking place in japan..the place which most of us obsess over..so i really dont see why your complaining. If it's taking place in the land where it was invented, I'm sure they wont butcher it that bad...

Comment

Originally posted by su_maverick
                          I am just waiting for all the BS that is going to come out of this when the tard 16yo kids start killing themselves on back roads trying to run the "tooj" (yes, I heard this out of a kid). But ya know what, I say that is Darwinism at its perfection.
                          stop hatin on young drifters, i got into drifting when i was 13 and started at 16 when i got my license. i have a 91 fc with hks hiper d coilovers, tanabe sway bay, tanabe underbrace, tanabe strut bar, clutch type lsd, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by biggslava
                            stop hatin on young drifters, i got into drifting when i was 13 and started at 16 when i got my license. i have a 91 fc with hks hiper d coilovers, tanabe sway bay, tanabe underbrace, tanabe strut bar, clutch type lsd, and more.
                            wow, mommy and daddy hooked you up huh. 16 year old kids shouldnt be able to afford all that by themself.

Comment

i bought all the stuff (kinda alot of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*) on my car and my car, im 17, well almost 18 and i paid for it myself.

its actually easier when you are young, because the only bills you have are car related and maybe some food.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                                wow, mommy and daddy hooked you up huh. 16 year old kids shouldnt be able to afford all that by themself.
                                actually i payed for every cent of it myself. i worked for the past two summer for it. plus i got a job so suck my *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* if you think im feedin off my parents

Comment

Working...
                                X