Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Car

Hi Guys!

I'm looking for my own first car. I'm looking to pay 3500 or less. Just looking for some suggestions, a car good for drifting and mountain runs, but still need to use for everyday driving. Thanks for the help.

I'll assume you want an import/sport compact. I would say either a mid 80's Toyota Corolla or a late 80's Nissan 240sx. Both of those would be good drift cars (good drifting platforms) and cost less than $3500 (blue book value). The Corolla will probably be cheaper than the 240. Try to find one that is running good and hasn't been modified yet (then you know it wasnt raced/abused).

Comment

Thanks alot...I have been looking at the 240's not much of the corolla's. Well ever since this weekend I might look into them. Three guys were driving corolla's up on Mt. Wilson, and god were they fast as hell.

Comment

hahah,

not really fast, but good traction down tha mountain... i met up with some friends at a toyota meet at diamond plaza, and they were laughing at how slow they run, but down a mountain, damn... go with a 240... there tight smooth running cars...

Comment

Hmm...They were fast going up and down the mountain. But really speed all depends if you know the course. Cuz you know, you may have a Subaru WRX but still can be passed up by a corolla going uphill if you don't know the course.

Comment

if u ask me..dont get a 240..there everywhere!...not so many old corollas..say from 85-87 hathback GT-S...if u look for the corollas, dont get SR5!!!..only GT-S!!

Comment

Is the GT-S in my price range of 3500??

Comment

Yes. The GT-S would be in your price range. The year of choice would be an 86. In stock form the car wont be very fast, but is it possible to build a fast motor for that car (4AG). Overall the car is a good platform for drifting. Alot of aftermarket support, RWD, solid rear axle, and good chance you'll get a 5 speed.

Comment

I say go with the corolla cuz they're cheap, and they are toyotas so you know they are reliable. I don't know how much the 240's go for, but like fastback 180 said, I've seen a lot more 240's, silvia's, etc. around since drifting had started getting popular. Of course, if reliability wasn't an issue I'd say go for a 2nd gen RX-7 just because in my opinion I think they are a better all around sports car and they go for pretty cheap, but reliability is always an issue, so with that the maintenance would be a little higher (for the Turbo II, the NA is pretty reliable if you take care of it). Another good all around sports car is the MR2, but those are a bit more expensive and you gotta be a good driver to keep a MR car in a drift and not spin it. There are other good drift cars out there but my mind is drawing a blank right now.

Comment

Yea I love the 2nd gen RX-7, but I don't know much about them. Like is parts and repair cheap? My stepdad tells me to stay away...

Comment

YES!

stay away... im concidering buying my uncles for 600, but it has a blown injection manifold? i think? o well, my friends cousin is selling an s13 coupe for 2k with no body damage... and good strong engine, stick.. and he drives it like a granny... not sure about tha miles tho... but its kool for an sr swap... which i know a place that does it for cheap (3700) or you can buy an already swapped car (180sx for 6300) i think? but the 3700 includes taxes and installation...

Comment

in response to hawaiian..the AE86 (Hachi Roku) are not just 86, the platform was 85-87, and I also dont think I have ever seen an automatic GT-S..never know though, I might just not have seen them...and you forgot to mention the 50/50 weight distribution!..great little cars, perfect for a first car. Many many possibilities for it too. I have seen SR20DET's in them, 20B 3 rotor, 13B...many many engines. Plus for the stock 4AG, theres a lot for it in the aftermarket. And rotarys are kind of a hassle for a daily driver because, after so many miles your usually supposed to get the whole engine rebuilt...But if you have the money I say go for a Turbo II FC3S

Comment

Well I want an manual for sure...hate automatics. I need a car that will be reiable for me to drive like 400 miles every couple weeks. I'll be moving to Santa Cruz in Sept but I still plan to come back couple times a month. So that needs to key in, so now I have my money I really need to seriously think about which car is good for me. The turbo would probably hell on my insurance, even I'm prepaying a year still. I'm looking at 1000 or so for 97 Civic, dont know what a turbo rx-7 would cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickdmarz
                            Yea I love the 2nd gen RX-7, but I don't know much about them. Like is parts and repair cheap? My stepdad tells me to stay away...
                            I think the parts are little more expensive just because the fact that it is a rotary, and there are very few around in comparison to piston engines. But if you look around you can find parts for a pretty good price. It would obviously be cheaper if you did the work yourself also. If maintenance and reliability are going to be a big issue though, then I'd stay away from an RX-7.

As for insurance, I can't really help on that one since I've never had another car to compare it to, but I don't think it should be TOO bad compared to other cars.

Comment

97 civics are good, but about the AE86, that is one car that is hard to find (in my area that is) and is commonly not seen around unlike civics. If I were you I would try hard to find an AE86...just remember, looks dont matter all the time

Comment

Working...
                              X