Forsberg vs. Papadakis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forsberg vs. Papadakis?

... anyone see the video/was at the event? More specifically the judges... I want them to answer. HOW THE FUCK DID FORSBERG LOSE??? That was... not right. Forsberg's getting the shaft this year. Its retarded. Every single tandem I've seen him in, he's won. But the judges seem to disagree sometimes, so I just want to know why.

I'm not writing this cause I'm Chris's friend, I am writing this as a fellow drifter and someone who also competes in drift events... I would like some explanation because me and mmm EVERYONE else want to know.

Eff that, every judged sport is going to have some bias and politics. D1 does, but at least theirs are well known and sh!t. This is just perplexing with Formula D this season.

Oh one more question: How come the only cars that seem to do well at FD are ones currently in production and for sale in the US? Seems kinda odd. Most drifters have 240s, Corollas, and RX7s.

I'm actually watching all the video i shot right now. We're still only on friday's qualifying, so i'll post on the Chris vs Steph factor later. I recall thinking that Steph beat Chris at the event, i think because he put more pressure on chris when trailing and put distance on him when leading even though chris had more smoke. but lemme watch the video again...

Originally posted by _PG_
    Oh one more question: How come the only cars that seem to do well at FD are ones currently in production and for sale in the US? Seems kinda odd. Most drifters have 240s, Corollas, and RX7s.
    Dai / Tanner / Kenji / Conrad / Casper have all placed on the podium this year with non-production cars. I think Tyler has a VERY good chance at Irwindale (he's been tearing it up not only this weekend but at the SJ grand prix last weekend as well) and the whole Jasper car is running in tip-top shape. That's not a production car. And Robbie kicked a$$ in the silvia pickup earlier this year! sucks that it had to go back....

I think what you're seeing is the privateer vs the corporate backed teams. The "production" cars you're talking about (Rhys, Sam, Calvin, Alex, Gush, even JR) all started out as 1-off drift cars, with rather large bank accounts allowing for a lot more 1-off parts and custom work to be done. Then there are teams like Tanner / Conrad / Dai / etc that are run on bare-bones accounts, and still keeping up.

Comment

two words, Factory Support.

i don't like that at all. I think the cars should be built by a private companys other than the ones who build the car. I just hope drifting don't turn into a NASCAR theme in the states where if you don't have factory backing you get pooned in the ars.

Comment

I do agree that factory backing has a lot to do with who's winning this year, but don't take anything away from the drivers in those factory cars. They are some of the most highly skilled drivers in FD. Not saying that I don't think others should be winning, but they are up against some incredible drivers. Just my .02

Zach

Comment

Everyone who does well is good,no doubt. But in Japan if you were driving like Forsberg they would go insane (that's why Forsberg beat Takaka and Almost Taniguchi at D1 in December). Entering with the fastest speed AND the earliest entry point. 4th gear, 120 mph. Starting before everyone else and absolutely going insane like Hariguchi or Asamoto!!!!! WTF lets gets some Effin' fair judging!

And as for that S15... its not as expensive/powerful as you think! 350hp! With the fastest speed and earliest entry?!?!?!?! WTF that is not any "mechanical advantage" that is DRIVER SKILL!!!! Reward the driver, not the factory the car came from! Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by zerodrifter
            two words, Factory Support.

i don't like that at all. I think the cars should be built by a private companys other than the ones who build the car. I just hope drifting don't turn into a NASCAR theme in the states where if you don't have factory backing you get pooned in the ars.
            calvin's car was built by design craft. Sure, they got the car for cheap (i really don't know details) but it wasn't built by Infiniti. Same with JR's car - not built by Ford (where as the Team X cars were built by saleen and Gushi's car had a lot of help from ford directly)

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd
              calvin's car was built by design craft. Sure, they got the car for cheap (i really don't know details) but it wasn't built by Infiniti. Same with JR's car - not built by Ford (where as the Team X cars were built by saleen and Gushi's car had a lot of help from ford directly)
              what about Sam and Millen?

Comment

It's not about factory support. That's not it. Its the fact that the winners/MSOT of the people doing really well in FD are in cars that are offered and still in production in the US. Every single winner has been, and most of the podium finishers. JUST SAYING.

Comment

It's not about factory support. That's not it. Its the fact that the winners/MSOT of the people doing really well in FD are in cars that are offered and still in production in the US. Every single winner has been, and most of the podium finishers. JUST SAYING.
                  i think it has more to do with the budget that they have, not the production year of the car that they are in.

that's a pretty big assertion on your part.

give a big budget to any team and a 400-500hp car, and i bet they'll find a way to be competitive in FD.

Comment

i think it has more to do with the budget that they have, not the production year of the car that they are in.

that's a pretty big assertion on your part.

give a big budget to any team and a 400-500hp car, and i bet they'll find a way to be competitive in FD.
                    Not when FD won't allow it. How come its such a big coincidence? Its not like there are 50 US Market Current Production cars in FD... there are... about 7? And so far 4 of them have won all 5 events... And the other 3 that have not won have all been placed in the Elimination rounds to potentially move on without knocking each other out before the Final 4s? And there have been MANY MANY bad calls made in THEIR favor to allow them to win rounds they shouldn't have... SH!T That is a LOT of coincidence.

As far as a 400/500 hp car with big buget doing well... They are getting slaughtered by Forsberg in a 350hp car and seriously not a big budget. Not including the cost of the car, Forsberg's S15 barely has $10k more than mine. MAYBE. Its still an S-Chassis and all the sh!t costs the same for S13/14/15.

Anyways, what I am saying is even S-Chassis cars that have more hp and especially the GTO/Vipers, etc that have a Million hp are still not entering as fast, as early, as crazy as Forsberg and aren't drifting as close and maniacal and absolutely INSANE like Forsberg. But they are winning. Maybe the criteria for Formula D is "You must suck more than Chris Forsberg and you will do well."

I'm not singling out Forsberg cause i think he's the only good driver. No. I'm singling him out because of the Papadakafruiter incident and the hard facts that he (agian) enters before anyone and goes faster than anyone. Anyone. 2nd to him in speed is JR. 1st place for Maniac is Tony. See, all of Drift Alliance rules not JUST Forsbag.

Comment

Don't forget the American Market car.

Comment

just a few things...
                        1) forsberg is a great driver yes, and no he may not have a 500 hp car but he is on a huge budget, hes with falken and they have like 4 million cars in fd, they have enough money to replace or fix anything, the fact that he only has 350hp is just his preference, not bagging on him at all bc i do agree that he is amazing and should win at somepoint but to say that he isnt on a huge budget is just dumb, it is just not a huge "factoy" budget....there is no real differnce.

2)the last i herd papadakis(i think thats at least close) only had like 350hp if even also, i thought i had heard that he was eather running a supercharger with very little boost or no boost at all, but i spose that could have changed

Comment

Although budget plays a significant role running a sucessful drift program, it does not guarantee you'll win all the time. In the case of Chris F. & Steph P., budget is a wash. I have a pretty good idea of what kind of budget they are working with. Last year Chris finished 2nd overall (I think) in Formula D without a huge budget. It all comedown to driving skills, how well your car is set up for the track for the weekend, and how well your car is running. I'm going to assume that both of their cars are dialed in for Chicago so Steph just out drifted Chris over the weekend. Don't under estimate Steph's driving because he is best known for drag racing. Steph isn't scared of speed, hitting the wall or bumping with another car. Any of the drifters competing in FD gone over 200+ mph except for Steph? All Steph needs is more seat time (which I believe he is getting) and he should be more competitive next year. Chris is a friend and I kno he is an awesome driver, it was just not his weekend.

Comment

... anyone see the video/was at the event? More specifically the judges... I want them to answer. HOW THE FUCK DID FORSBERG LOSE??? That was... not right. Forsberg's getting the shaft this year. Its retarded. Every single tandem I've seen him in, he's won. But the judges seem to disagree sometimes, so I just want to know why.
                            Watch the video and then talk sh!t... I am sure that it is a lot easier to think that Forsberg won simply because Stephan does not have the experience that Chris does. Things happen, people crash, drifters jump curbs (Forsberg FD Sonoma) and some people pull runs out of the hat. Look, all of the guys out there driving are my friends, so I wish them all the best. If one wins, be happy for him, don't talk crap on the other guy- especially because he does not have the most runs under his belt...

It is a giant Formula D conspiracy to make 240s undesirable drift cars and make them cheap for people to buy again!!!!

Give me a break, its a simple formula:

BIG power + TONS of steering angle + GREAT drivers= Doing well at FD events or any other events for that matter...

Comment

You guys are completely missing the point of what I am saying. I don't think there is a conspiracy against popular drift cars, I just mention that because no one that drifts their own car can relate to a brand new Viper or a GTO with S14 suspension!

As for budget, its a moot point, and i NEVER said big budget had anything to do with who's doing well. Big budget in FD mean you get ot go to all the events. Transportation is the biggest part of the budget. Building the cars, like I said, is hardly the cost of any of these teams (besides people retro-fitting S14 parts, but hey we aren't supposed to talk about that).

I'm just sick of good drivers getting the shaft because of (my assumption) some kind of hidden politics. Its got to the point of absurdity. I mean lets forget about all the kids who go to FD because "The Viper is my favorite car in the whole world." Or "My dad just bought a GTO cause i told him Rhys was my favorite drifter!" Lets think about the guys who really drift, and who know how dumb the series has become in the judging department. Couple of my friends in Japan that drive D1 and BM Hai events have seen videos and are very upset at the judging.

"Who judges that stuff? Richard Chang... I remember that guy coming over here for some drifting articles. He doesn't know sh!t."

Hey, I am not lying either, that's the funny part! Even they admit that D1 has politics, but they say its so out-in the open it doesn't really bother too many people. This on the otherhand, is foreign to them. They can't figure out why these decisions are being made.

Stop taking little bits of my posts and making huge deals about it, why doesn't SOEMONE with some sort of experience or connection with FD speak up. Hey I'm a "fan" right? Or do i know too much?

BTW: Oooooooh 200 mph. WHOA. Ask Papadakis how many IRL cars he's driven, or talk to Ryan Hampton about being the only person to get pole, and lead an IRL race from start to finish. Don't bring up people's "racing" history as a justification of how they drove. Drifting is drifting. Its not racing. And its not "who was more well known in the INDUSTRY and now they are doing this as a trend."

Comment

Working...
                              X