No announcement yet.

FD Chicago - FD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the pros are very open about it. this isn't drag racing, everyone is super friendly if you just go talk to them. nothing is secret in drifting yet, as the cars aren't that import ( running is the most important thing ). its the drivers.

drifting gets distorted a little bit when you watch it on tv, its all about going out and having fun. you can count everyone on one hand that gets paid a significant amount to drive, so for everyone to bother showing up, it had better be enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierDrifter
      all im gonna say is

please keep hip hop OUT of drifting PLEASE...
      You know, occasionally I see comments like these and so far I haven't really said anything about it because they are usually scattered. However this time, I dont know why but now I am compelled to finally throw my hat in and make a stand.

Why on earth would someone want to try and alienate a vastly significant and prominent section of youth culture such as hip-hop??

Why does it seem like there are individuals out there in drift land whos mission is to turn American drifting into some kind of punk rock/80's hair band/emo rock driven motorsport??

For the most part drifting in America is fed by a diverse youth base that means in general all sections are pretty well represented. I think it would be detrimental to suddenly alienate part of that by trying to force out hip-hop.

If your into punk rock, alternative, emo rock, or old school rock..thats cool. I know one of the main influences of those genres of music and drifting come from Drift Alliance which is cool and thats their thing (sidebar: another big ups to Chris for winning the final round) but do you see DA out there chanting "death to hip-hop!"? No!

Im not the biggest rock fan either, I like some of it but Im not die hard by any means however, Im not out to push rock music out of drifting because I think that would be wrong, the same way I think it would be wrong to push hip-hop out.

The bottom line on this is hip hop and rock can live in harmoniously together in drift land just like Run DMC and areosmith did back in the day and the way that JayZ and Linkin Park did in the present.

So G4 if you’re listening lets not narrow the drifting audience by making it into a one trick pony culturally.

Big C. is another story..I dont really know what to make of him. Its obvious that he isn't the guru of drifting or motorsports in general for that matter and he can be annoying but to me he isn't any more annoying than J-rod can be or that other bald black guy who hosts Formula D, his name escapes me at the moment.

I dont hate on Big C. though because even though he might seem to act like an idiot on camera hes doing something that many people aren't and thats hosting his own show, so I give respect where respect is due. Honestly I think all the guy needs is time. He is pretty new to the scene but hes out there getting to know people and he is learning more every time he goes out and shoots a new episode so hopefully he'll incorporate any newly gained knowledge into his hosting style.

Alex P. did a really good job maybe he'll give Big C. some pointers who knows. All Im saying is even though hes annoying give him a chance to redeem himself.

Anyway thats where I stand

Comment

well when im more competitive.... i dont know if i would want to give out secrets and other mods i have done to my car and how to do it.... why should the pros?...
        rhys had no problem showing the rides camera crew the complete build up from start to finish. When you're good, you're good. And the better everyone else is, the more competitive the sport, the more marketable it is, the more likely that you can make a living off of the sport alone.

Comment

your points are taken, but big c is still dumb. the people on tv are like the ambassadors/spokesmen of drift, and they make us look really, really dumb. i'm embarassed when i see him come on tv, mostly because i've watched street fury and seen an entire episode of him being lame before. he has NO clue what he is talking about, and bull$hits everything. its the equivelant of meeting someone who says they drift their civic with their mad tight skills yo, cause with all their speaker equipment in the back, it helps get the rear end out. and they gotsta keep their bling on, so they roll a hundred and ten hp car with 20s. total rice.

its ok though, its just the tip of the ice berg. just wait until the new fast and furious movie comes out and paints us as irresponsible retards, and we get pulled over by cops for having uneven tire wear on the back of our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronlosey
            your points are taken, but big c is still dumb. the people on tv are like the ambassadors/spokesmen of drift, and they make us look really, really dumb. i'm embarassed when i see him come on tv, mostly because i've watched street fury and seen an entire episode of him being lame before. he has NO clue what he is talking about, and bull$hits everything. its the equivelant of meeting someone who says they drift their civic with their mad tight skills yo, cause with all their speaker equipment in the back, it helps get the rear end out. and they gotsta keep their bling on, so they roll a hundred and ten hp car with 20s. total rice.

its ok though, its just the tip of the ice berg. just wait until the new fast and furious movie comes out and paints us as irresponsible retards, and we get pulled over by cops for having uneven tire wear on the back of our cars.
            Werd yo...BIG C has got to go. I can respect the fact that he somehow managed to get himself on to multiple TV shows now (how I'll never know), but having him on FormulaD TV was heartbreaking to see. You guys need to get Alex P fired as a driver and hire him as a host and / or judge. A fun light hearted DRIVER needs to be present on the show to at least have a presence to keep the actual drifting fan base happy and entertained to watch the show.

Also, I realize that there are a lot of unseeded drivers, and people that dont make the top 16, but at least a quick 5 second intro of ALL the drivers / cars (with a little still picture or little video clip) that entered an event would make all the individual sponsors happy and keep the sport growing professionally. This would take less then 5 minutes out of the whole show and sponsors who pay a lot of money to have cars present would at least get some air time. Yes? No? Maybe so???

Comment

ok im sorry for sayin take hip hop out of drifting... i do listen to hip hop every once and a while because of its bass and good rythem... but i was tryin to say dont make it all ghetto like "And 1 street ball" and it should be done in a more professional manner

Comment

The formula D on the Atlanta race actually did cover the 32 drivers and qualifying. I still would like to see some sort of judges scores at least for qualifying.
                If you want a show like this to take off, your gona have to sell it to an audience as well as advertisers. to do this you have to play to your demographics. you have to understand that your base audience is made up of drifters or people into drifting. these people are going to watch the show just for the drifting. from that point you want to expand your viewing audience by attracting people with other intrests to the show. You do this by playing to their tastes, while still giving your base audience what they really want, drifting.
                We are all going to watch this show for the drifting, with or without "Big C." So they are not going to loose any audience because of "Big C" but they might gain a few extra.

Comment

Originally posted by ALI
                  Also, I realize that there are a lot of unseeded drivers, and people that dont make the top 16, but at least a quick 5 second intro of ALL the drivers / cars (with a little still picture or little video clip) that entered an event would make all the individual sponsors happy and keep the sport growing professionally. This would take less then 5 minutes out of the whole show and sponsors who pay a lot of money to have cars present would at least get some air time. Yes? No? Maybe so???
                  I think listing the 12 drivers who qualified on friday would be nice. And since all 12 drivers still run on saturday, you could get video of their qualifying runs then, for a quick 10 second intro for each driver. 10 seconds for 12 drivers = 2 minutes. I think that's reasonable... some of these people are actually making it into the top 16 (steph, john yim, big smoke, okubo, etc). Robbie, Conrad, Steph, Okubo, and several others even had WINS over seeded drivers from the unseeded pool. Heck, Okubo and Conrad both had podium finishes after starting out their fridays not knowing if they would be driving on saturday!!

Comment

i thoguth conrad has been seeded all year?

Comment

i'm a huge fan of drifting, have traveled thousands of miles to be at events, do at least 2 events a month, sometimes more ( i even throw events in texas ), and i can barely watch the fd shows on tv. i'm a pretty busy person though, and if i didn't have a dvr to record them with, then fast forward through them with, their is no way that i would bother to watch them any more. i would much rather watch option videos to get my drift video fix. i learned about 50% of my driving from option videos, thats why i watch them. you learn pretty much zero from watching the fd shows. if it wasn't for me knowing a bunch of the competitors, i probably wouldn't watch them.

i like rock crawling and 4 wheeling as well, and have a very built up rig. i should be the core demographic for that as well as i can afford aftermarket parts and actively take part in the sport. however, the shows suck so badly i can't sit through them, so i don't watch them.

i do like formula d in person ( i even had my skyline totalled at the houston event ), but having big c on the show makes baby jesus cry.

Comment

Thanks for the props guys. It sucked that I crashed but it was cool to be up in the judges stand. That was my first time up there with the camera and I heard it came out well (I havent watched it yet cause I dont have G4).
                        BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                          Thanks for the props guys. It sucked that I crashed but it was cool to be up in the judges stand. That was my first time up there with the camera and I heard it came out well (I havent watched it yet cause I dont have G4).
                          Let me know when you have a free night. You and crystal can come down and check it out on TiVo. and maybe we'll play a few games of hold 'em

Comment

This Big C, commin to ya live, from Drifting.Com, we be drifting all the tightest rides yo, I dunno what I'm saying, but I'm coming to ya live, lets go check out some of these hot rides!!

Comment

ok im sorry for sayin take hip hop out of drifting... i do listen to hip hop every once and a while because of its bass and good rythem... but i was tryin to say dont make it all ghetto like "And 1 street ball" and it should be done in a more professional manner
                              I agree. I live in the Bronx, NY so i hear hiphop blasting around here 24/7. For the most part its pretty good stuff. I went to FD in NJ and heard some of the worst "HIPHOP" ever. All this gangster BS. If your gonna play some hiphop atleast play some popular up to date and classic stuff. All I heard all day was a bunch of no name rapper wannab gangster crap. Sounded like they just put an underground mixtape in and pressed play. This is why people that are not into hiphop say things like "death to hiphop". They hear all this weak beat gagnster talk tracks and it turns them off. Even me, a hiphop fan was turned off by the qualtiy of hiphop i heard at FD events.

As for Big C he just needs to tone it down a bit. It seems that he's just playing a street thug character on a TV show. Believe me, street doods do not act like Big C. I recall watching the whipset segment on LSD's and I was like WTF. Why does this dood walk in a shop trying to be all gangster with one of his "hoe's" (no offense to the models) like he's on the corner pushin work? That was just stupid. He's there to attract a whole other fanbase and thats fine by me. Just dont act like a damn fool on TV man, there are people watching.

Just mix up the genres of music. Rock, Hiphop, Electronic (no techno or trance!). Mix it up. Also pop in some JDM Option DVDs and get some pointers on camera angles and editing. You could learn alot from them.

Comment

I have a much MUCH better idea.

Sit down, watch Bob Jenkins, Dr. Jerry Punch, Jack Arute, Paul Page and Chris Economacki on ABC as they commentate the Indy 500.

No Music.

No Intros.

No Fake Attitude.

Just great journalism filled with knowledge, wit, and class. That's exactly what GOOD MOTORSPORT JOURNALISM is.

Comment

Working...
                                X