No announcement yet.

FD Chicago - FD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching FD Chicago last night on G4, I felt the single best addition was undoubtedly Alex Pfeiffer. He did an excellent job explaining the results round after round and really added another element to the whole show.

As for Big C, a cameo here and there isn't too bad, but there HAS to be someone else there that could detail some of these features with a bit more knowledge and notoriety.

Regarding camera work, I know you guys have lipstick cameras everywhere and I'd like to see more of this footage incorporated into the show. Also watch your transitions, particularly when you cut to a different camera mid drift and it becomes difficult to see corrections and the like.

Mayleen is doing better than ever - she's asking more pertinent questions and her style creates a nice vibe for the show.

Keep at it G4 - the show has improved since it's first inception and has become more enjoyable to watch with every episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
      I have a much MUCH better idea.

Sit down, watch Bob Jenkins, Dr. Jerry Punch, Jack Arute, Paul Page and Chris Economacki on ABC as they commentate the Indy 500.

No Music.

No Intros.

No Fake Attitude.

Just great journalism filled with knowledge, wit, and class. That's exactly what GOOD MOTORSPORT JOURNALISM is.
      I dont think we need to see an ABC Indy 500 style show for Formula D TV. Its a completely different thing all togehter. FD is cool, so things like music and intros compliment the whole sport. Its more like an Xgames for us Drift fans. I agree to get rid of fake attitue and the fact that we need some good knowledgable journalism, but as for eliminating some of the things that make FD what it is, I say nay. Even the pros over at D1 arent so serious like the ABC Indy 500 doods. I was just watching OPTION 17 and you hear tsuchiya calling these guys A-holes, Stupid, and Dumb, but theyre all laughing and having a good time. Even the drivers are giving each other the finger and messin around like that. I believe thats what its all about, just having fun. Not all that textbook ABC suff.

I love the show the way it is, just needs afew more things here and there to be even better. Go G4!! Thanks for Televising this Formula D!!

Comment

Hey now, Bob Jenkins and Paul Page are a lot of fun. Stories of Parnelli Jones in his Big Oley Bronco attacking the Baja 1000, A.C. Agajanian's infamous Turkey Night at Ascot Park, and Swede Savage's goofy haircut.

That broadcast team has decades upon decades of history, anecdotes, and color to draw upon, all coming from the rich textured fabric of the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsport.

The reason I want such a broadcast team in Formula Drift is because I want the sport to ascend to that level of professionalism and respectability.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
          Hey now, Bob Jenkins and Paul Page are a lot of fun. Stories of Parnelli Jones in his Big Oley Bronco attacking the Baja 1000, A.C. Agajanian's infamous Turkey Night at Ascot Park, and Swede Savage's goofy haircut.

That broadcast team has decades upon decades of history, anecdotes, and color to draw upon, all coming from the rich textured fabric of the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsport.

The reason I want such a broadcast team in Formula Drift is because I want the sport to ascend to that level of professionalism and respectability.
          I understand you want to make drifting more classy and all but lets be realistic here.

The only audience that would possibly relate to those guys are the 40 and up males, and the demographic for drifting is like 13-30 year olds for the most part.

How many of the people in that demo do you expect to know who Parnelli Jones is?! Or for that matter anyone else that you mentioned?

Sure that team as decades of history and stories...but well..do you think any of them know a lick about drifting? In fact Im almost sure that if you were to show them drifting they'd think it was the stupidest thing they've ever laid their eyes on.

To them drifting would just be a bunch of kids wasting perfectly good tires.

I see where you're coming from but my question is...why does drifting need older people to be validated as more professional and respectable?

Why shouldn't it remain a youth culture motorsport?

Last time I checked skateboarding, snowboarding, and BMX were all doing just fine..better than fine ..and they didn't need Derek Daly, Bob Jenkins, or John Madden.

Can you imagine one of those guys saying "And a that was a beautiful front-side 540 noli over the transition by bucky lasek!!"

Doesn't sound too hot does it?

Personally, I think the best way to make drifting bigger and more broad is to expose more people (whom are within the key demo) to the sport..and make sure that when those new spectators are exposed..they are exposed to someone whom they can relate to, thats fun, and technically savy enough not to look like an idiot to the more experienced but well spoken enough to make sure that the uninitiated get an accurate description of drifting in a way that they can understand.

The people commentating for Formula D now (minus the recent cameo of Alex P.) Have the relatablity but not the technical background..although it seems like they are learning or catching on.

So its just a matter of if the more experienced audience is willing to wait until the current commentators know what they are talking about...or if someone with a solid drifting background AND good television personality steps forward to take over.

Comment

I think he meant whoever is commentating FD should try to come off more like those guys he mentioned (all of which I do not know LOL). Perception means alot to people and if you want drifting to be considered an actual motorsport you need to come off as somewhat professional. You dont need to be doing a newscast, but there should be somewhat of a limit on how much "fun" these guys can have before it negatively affects how people perceive the sport. If I didnt know anything about drifting and I saw Big C trying to explain it in his special "comin to ya live" way I would probably think its retarded. But if I didnt know anything about drifting and I saw Alex explaining it then I would probably find it much more interesting.

This Big Alex, comin to ya live, from D.com ...

LOL

Comment

Crazy Hawaiian get's the point.

The ridiculously "amped" slang and the tacked on "in your face" attitude are what I want gone.

What is needed is more professional and more informative broadcasting. Tell us why (from the judges' and the driver's point of view) they didn't match the line. Cover some of the setup differences.

One thing that NASCAR coverage does extraordinarily well is explain all of the subtle nuances of setting the cars up. Throughout the broadcast you'll be let in on the setup as teams change wedge, stagger, track bar, tire pressure, spring rubbers, and so on. You aren't just told "He has a push", you're let in as to why he's pushing, what's going to be done to cure it, and how they're going to perform the cure.

Believe it or not, that actually fascinates fans.

Same thing with drag racing. In NHRA coverage, we see the teardown between rounds as the Top Fuel teams rebuild their Hemis. We see *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* Lahie and Austin Coil tuning the jets and magneto and are TOLD why this is being done. The technical side is fascinating and involving to the fans (and even leads to some "armchair quaterbacks" who really get involved).

Expand the technical side, lose the 'tude, and present drifting as a legitimate motorsport and it'll be golden.

Comment

Working...
              X