No announcement yet.

G4's HORRIBLE FORMULA D Coverage......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G4's HORRIBLE FORMULA D Coverage......

Well, i attened round for in Sonoma, and just say the coverage on G4. Wow. Though i'm surpised, and glad that they acctually cover the "one more time between Sam, and Ken, they missed out on the "one more time" between Casper, and obuto. Also missed Mike peters slaming his LS1 S13 into the wall! They don't even show the full top 16 runs. They ussually only show one run of the tandem battles.

Makes me wonder what i missed in the last 3 rounds. And the comentaors??? All i can say is Jrod, please come back.

The last two aren't as bad as the first 2. But yeah they need to bring J-rod back, and streach the show back to 90 min. to cover everything.

Comment

G4 is horrible this year. I love Formula D and I know they are disgusted with the 1 hour program G4 puts together this year. Commentators (horrible), Olivia Munn's "game face" bit (horrible!!).

The contracts over or paid for for 2007, I look forward to having a kick *Censored**Censored**Censored* show for 2007 and I like where Formula D is going. Huge respect to the drivers and everyone who makes the Formula D circuit possible!!

Comment

+1 on JRod!

Comment

Originally posted by shinji_eva
          The last two aren't as bad as the first 2. But yeah they need to bring J-rod back, and streach the show back to 90 min. to cover everything.
          Ya, i'd have to agree that the Sonoma show was better than the first 3. they at least coverd a one more time. I think they could get alot more coverage in if they didn't do those stupid comedy sketches. Props to Tanner foust for dating Olivia, but that not what i watch forumla D for.

Comment

show more runs... less bull$hit

Comment

Chicago Review
              http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20351

Long Beach + Atlanta Review
              http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19832

all bad by the way

Comment

comentating is way better, the coverage is crap, but ive said this on other threads.

Comment

ok, let me start of by saying thank you to g4 for giving drifting a chance when nobody else would and helping bring formula drift, the teams, the drivers, the sponsors, and all the people that helped with anything from driving giving budgets to teams and making drifting a truly professional motorsport like red bull, sears, ford, circuit city, pontiac, ea games, and many others, and all the people who have helped the people who are still privateering be it giving them a floor to sleep on to working on their car for hundreds of hours in return for nothing more than some pizza and to say they helped with something they felt was cool. without g4 formula d wouldnt be where its at today.

now to move on i will say i really enjoyed the show last year. it had a lot of time, and g4 really did a good job tryign to cover as much as possible and explain and inform people about drifting, the people, the teams, the sport in general, and it was awesome. lot of episodes, lot of info, lot of drifting.

now were 2/3 the way thru 2006. the show has been cut to 30 minutes, most of the people from last year who just loved drifting and had so much fun at the events, rossi, mayleen, are all gone. the show is cut down to 30 minutes which airs a week after every event, and covers things like game faces to leave one more times, judges explanations, driver profiles, car profiles, a lot of stuff that is integral to the whole formula drift experience laying on the editing room floor, even to the extent of cutting out elimination rounds all together. for me this really ruines the show, and it seems more like drifting is turning into something everyone at g4 doesnt care about, its just something to fill another time slot, and rake money in from people sponsoring the show like advance, cooper, pontiac and quaker state.

what is the point to this?

quit covering stupid stuff, go back to drifting. watch all the shows from last year. yah they had goofy stuff, they also had twice the timeslot, 1/2 the stuff to fill it with and 5x the amount of time to edit the material.

drifting IS exciting. drifting IS fun to watch, raw. leave it! cover the drift EVENT first and foremost. add in some driver / car profiles after that. then throw in some qualifying runs maybe. then do some silly stuff. but please, stop cutting out the actual formula d part of the formula d show. its really killing it.

and one last thing, if you want to explain understeer please dont show a perfectly executed run by mr. hubert young. use that clip to explain drifting. if you want understeer or something else you shouldnt and probably wont find at a formula drift event let me know and ill go make a clip so that people understand it. let pfiefer/yen/takahashi look over this stuff, and where have they been all year? let them commentate some. jrod too. they have a lot of knowledge and experience, let them share it with your viewers, no offense to the commentators this year, but they are still new to the sport and it shows. it took me a long time to understand all the terminology and honestly to this day i still dont understand some of the proper terminlogy in drifting. hell last year at champ car cleveland i couldnt even pronounce manji correctly.

anyways i guess thats it. the show last year kicked *Censored**Censored**Censored*, and honestly this year i kinda dont even have a desire to watch it, but i do hope and beleive yall want the show to suceed as much as we do. maybe im the only one that feels this way about the show, but thought i'd voice my opinion.

thanks again for giving formula d tv coverage in the 1st place, look forward to seeing you guys at seattle or the pro-am in atlanta.

Comment

rossi > Brandon & Olivia...COMBINED
                    rossi = Adam...Maybe?
                    if they bring it back to the format of last year, then they will be GOLDEN, but as it stands even my friends who arent into drifting are saying the show is corny, driving is crazy, but all the side segments and Brandon & Olivia are just plain dumb. Adam is doing a fairly decent job in my opinion
                    -Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters
                      ok, let me start of by saying thank you to g4 for giving drifting a chance when nobody else would and helping bring formula drift, the teams, the drivers, the sponsors, and all the people that helped with anything from driving giving budgets to teams and making drifting a truly professional motorsport like red bull, sears, ford, circuit city, pontiac, ea games, and many others, and all the people who have helped the people who are still privateering be it giving them a floor to sleep on to working on their car for hundreds of hours in return for nothing more than some pizza and to say they helped with something they felt was cool. without g4 formula d wouldnt be where its at today.

now to move on i will say i really enjoyed the show last year. it had a lot of time, and g4 really did a good job tryign to cover as much as possible and explain and inform people about drifting, the people, the teams, the sport in general, and it was awesome. lot of episodes, lot of info, lot of drifting.

now were 2/3 the way thru 2006. the show has been cut to 30 minutes, most of the people from last year who just loved drifting and had so much fun at the events, rossi, mayleen, are all gone. the show is cut down to 30 minutes which airs a week after every event, and covers things like game faces to leave one more times, judges explanations, driver profiles, car profiles, a lot of stuff that is integral to the whole formula drift experience laying on the editing room floor, even to the extent of cutting out elimination rounds all together. for me this really ruines the show, and it seems more like drifting is turning into something everyone at g4 doesnt care about, its just something to fill another time slot, and rake money in from people sponsoring the show like advance, cooper, pontiac and quaker state.

what is the point to this?

quit covering stupid stuff, go back to drifting. watch all the shows from last year. yah they had goofy stuff, they also had twice the timeslot, 1/2 the stuff to fill it with and 5x the amount of time to edit the material.

drifting IS exciting. drifting IS fun to watch, raw. leave it! cover the drift EVENT first and foremost. add in some driver / car profiles after that. then throw in some qualifying runs maybe. then do some silly stuff. but please, stop cutting out the actual formula d part of the formula d show. its really killing it.

and one last thing, if you want to explain understeer please dont show a perfectly executed run by mr. hubert young. use that clip to explain drifting. if you want understeer or something else you shouldnt and probably wont find at a formula drift event let me know and ill go make a clip so that people understand it. let pfiefer/yen/takahashi look over this stuff, and where have they been all year? let them commentate some. jrod too. they have a lot of knowledge and experience, let them share it with your viewers, no offense to the commentators this year, but they are still new to the sport and it shows. it took me a long time to understand all the terminology and honestly to this day i still dont understand some of the proper terminlogy in drifting. hell last year at champ car cleveland i couldnt even pronounce manji correctly.

anyways i guess thats it. the show last year kicked *Censored**Censored**Censored*, and honestly this year i kinda dont even have a desire to watch it, but i do hope and beleive yall want the show to suceed as much as we do. maybe im the only one that feels this way about the show, but thought i'd voice my opinion.

thanks again for giving formula d tv coverage in the 1st place, look forward to seeing you guys at seattle or the pro-am in atlanta.
                      Great post Mike! Couldn't agree more, couldn't have said it better.

Also, Mike, missed yer call; will call ya back tomorrow/today/Wednesday.

Comment

let me also thank G4 for spending their time to
                        be at the events, interview drivers, and creating
                        a show for 2006. this creates great opportunity
                        for drivers and their sponsors.
                        although i have not yet seen the sonoma episode,
                        and i know that it is very difficult to include
                        'everything' in the shortened 1 hour time slot,
                        i do also like to see some more drifting action.
                        all the drivers are getting better everyday and it is
                        getting more and more difficult to survive the qualifying
                        rounds. remaining in the top16 is extremely competitive
                        and it is sometimes discouraging to see your tandem
                        round cut out for some reason. you tell your sponsors
                        that you finally 'made it to the top16' and when they
                        don't see you on tv, it's not good for you and the
                        sponsors. if time allows, i hope top 32 single runs get
                        shown since it is not easy to survive the friday's
                        qualifying round too.
                        just my thought

hiro

Comment

honestly i think a show that featured tpo 32 qualifying with juges explanations would be the ultimate kick a$$ tv show. show both runs of the top 16, and everyone who had a 80+ or something, then if someone did something crazy or something show that too. like the d1 videos. the qualifying runs imho are always the craziest part of drifting to watch. the tandem is always excellent, but the qualifying sometimes i go back and watch a video with my jaw completely dropped the whole time. show that.

but i cannot emphasize like hiro said how frustrating it is for teams when they tell their sponsors they made the cut, after the sponsors invest itme and money into their team hoping to get some coverage, and it doesnt go past the floor of the editing room.

for drifitng truley to grow the guys who are sponsored with big backing need coverage yes, but cover the up andcomers as well, they need exposure to stay around and pull in sponsors so they can continue to go to the events.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. G4 really took a big gamble couple years ago to take on drifting.

However, I must say the show needs a lot of improvement. It's NOT interesting to anybody. Nobody could follow the show. There is no continuity. Me being a competitor didn't even know what was going on! The most important thing of a show is to engage the audience by giving them the experience that they are actually there but I couldn't be engaged even when I tried!

Another thing is emphasizing sponsors. Like Hiro said, it's important to show the sponsors that there is value added by sponsoring us! But the runs were shot pretty much at a bird's eye view, nothing close up, no emphasis on sponsors. D1 video really does a good job in the placement and movement of the cameras that clearly emphasizes and captures the sponsors' signage on the cars. It also makes it more exciting to the audience with all that close up shots.

Take a look at last year's show do the exact same thing and you will have one good show. Take a look at any recent D1 video and you will have an awesome show!

I remember talking to the G4 production crew and they said they want to capture the sweat, the blood, the smell, the noise, at the event. But the Sonoma was another boring show that didn't even close to capturing any of the things mentioned.

and one last thing, if you want to explain understeer please dont show a perfectly executed run by mr. hubert young. use that clip to explain drifting.
                            Thanks for mentioning that. It confused my friends even more after seeing that little segment.

Again, big props to the G4 crew enduring the heat out there filming and then crunched to complete the show in a week.

All of the mentioned were meant to be constructive critisim. We all appreciate the fact that we are on TV! But hopefully the show could be a little more exciting and informative.

See you all in Seattle!
                            Last edited by Hubert Young; 07-19-2006, 10:02 AM.
                            Hubert Young
                            KORE 8 Films

Comment

If I could, I would bring full top 16 to you guys on driftlive.com, but the contracts with g4 and formula d do not allow me to do that. For now text and pictures only.

Hope they don't try to block those as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X