Pontiac GTO Drift Car Positives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac GTO Drift Car Positives.

Okay sence the other Pontiac thread has turned nasty. I wanted to start this.

Now i already stated i think the GTO is too heavy to be competitive in d1 style competition. That said, of course some dissagreed. which is cool. We will really need to see it in action first.

Anyways i want to know what you guys think its Advantages would be. I'd say first off its the big displacement motor. Could really help out, all of the low end power. Im sure the guys who drift F bodies will agree..

I say let em do it...this will lead to other companies coming out with FR's and trying to make em cheaper than the next. Maybe one day Nissan will revive the 240SX or some other type of affordable RWD

as far as advantages, this car has a very good chassis (its actually a Holden) Its fast , but not really affordable to everybody. The low end torque will probably allow better control at lower engine speeds

Comment

The revival of the 240sx/Silvia would be awesome.. honestly if they wanted to im sure they could sale the S15 Silvia here with some minor modifications. Its just a mater of them WANTING to. I'd like to see some inexpensive RWD cars. Toyota could sell one with there Scion brand. Nissan could sell the S15s or a S16 model. Make it under 20k, RWD. with an inline 4, im not even asking for a turbo though it would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
        The revival of the 240sx/Silvia would be awesome.. honestly if they wanted to im sure they could sale the S15 Silvia here with some minor modifications. Its just a mater of them WANTING to. I'd like to see some inexpensive RWD cars. Toyota could sell one with there Scion brand. Nissan could sell the S15s or a S16 model. Make it under 20k, RWD. with an inline 4, im not even asking for a turbo though it would be nice.
        Nissan is in a pinch right now a there president hit a person on a street with his lexus. Hes having enough problems with that littlone the rwd thing.

Comment

Really? He hit some one thats horrible.... wait a lexus? thats just wrong.

What i ment though was they have a proven cheap RWD chassis and killer engine laying around. I know the SR doesnt meet US smog restrictions. but if motorex could find a way to make the rb legal then im sure nissans engineers could add the right equipment and make it clean enough.. I mean common. Besides didnt they say the same thing about the Evo?

And judging by its looks and performance the S15 would make a killer car here in the states. and they havent seemed to have a problem sellin 350Zs, those are everywere. How have they been selling in japan driftxtreem?

Comment

I have respect to all that love drifting.

but....why doesn't any one like honda anymore? I mean I bet if we, the people of japan didn't decide to market drifting around the world...3/4 of you all would even know what the hell drifting was and would still be all about the "hondas and the fwd"

there, some food for thought...this ISN'T a flame just got alittle pissed off when I saw some people sayin "Oh, yea dude, rwd the best dude"

anyway...Nissan doesn't seem like they are making a new silvia anytime soon..they're still in the concept stages, and they're not gonna make any more SR's if they ever decide to revive it(kinda stupid..)
            Is fwd supposed to be cheaper than rwd cuz all cheap cars seem to be ff(hondas, etc.)

Comment

People dont like Honda any more? have any clue how many Integras and RSXs i saw running around last night when i was in town? probably about 30 of the RSX and last generation integra. Though i supose there both sold as the Integra in japan.

of all of the cars i notice. meaning i have some interest in. They were easily the most. More then Mustangs, WAY more then any Nissans, even the 350z that im seeing everywere. More then any mitsubishi, or Toyota sport compact.

EDIT: Forgot to mention where. This was Southern california, to be specific, bakersfield.

Hondas are as popular as ever. Perhaps not on this, a drifting site. Sence most drifters prefer RWD, cheap rwd, cars and Honda doesnt sell many. Not that i have to tell you that.

and yeah FF drive is cheaper and lighter. Perhaps as driftings popularity is spread world wide, manufactures will bring back more RWD cars. hopefuly cheap ones..

Now as for the topic Oki drifter, What advantages do you think the GTO would have competting in a drift competition. And would this vehichle be competitive in a touge race? or even just a regular road course?
              Last edited by nissanguy_24; 02-14-2004, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Anything the same year or newer is legal by law in California.So the RB engine can be legal,but you still have the smog testing.

Comment

And would this vehicle be competitive in a touge race? Or even just a regular road course?
                  I beleive this car would be an awesome drifter. To accurately (well not really) measure how well this car is, i will compare it to the car that it is derived from, The Holden Monaro

The chassis taken from the Holden Monaro is great, and has already been proven as great platform for a track car (the Holden Monaro's has been leading the endurance races at Mt. Panorama in Bathurst,Australia. They've even managed to beat the few Murcielago's and Porche's there) Like the Monaro the GTO has a V8 engine but of a different make (chevrolet in the GTO, i think...) so im thinking that they would pretty much handle the same way. Theres plenty of power in this car.

Now that the car has been briefly analysed, we'll now continue to the drift issue.

This car is definately driftable, i mean any car with a rwd platform is considered driftable, right? ive seen it been done b4, on a Mt. climb in bathurst, Peter Brock was participating with his Holden Monaro and on the corner known as ???? (brock corner, corner brock???cant remember, but it was named after him) he slid the car sideways to the delight of Australian spectators.
                  Weight may seem to be the probleam here but its been proven that heavy cars can drift (skylines, mustangs, other american domestic care, etc.) so i dont think this is a real issue.

This is all based on theory, i may be wrong, seeing as though i have close to no real driving experience (unless you count competing in amatuer go-kart leagues)

Sorry for the long post, but it was my first one so, yeh...

Comment

It will drift. It might wheight much but its got enought power to make it drift. but if you lightend it im sure it would be a great drift car

Comment

Re: Pontiac GTO Drift Car Positives.

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                      Now i already stated i think the GTO is too heavy to be competitive in d1 style competition.
                      If chasers can be competivtive so can a GTO

Comment

american power

Comment

Re: Re: Pontiac GTO Drift Car Positives.

Originally posted by MrodDrft
                          If chasers can be competivtive so can a GTO
                          Yes, but most chasers are usualy lightened no? and even so a stock chaser can weigh several hundred pounds lighter then the GTO is said to weigh.

Now that said the driver should be good enough to pull it off. But we have to be careful with the "This car weighs XXXX, so this car thats XXXX+XXX should be fine" arguement. The reason being that it becomes a slippery slope, watch how car weighs incase over the years and you can see it first hand. I mean how much do the honda civics weigh these days compared with lets say 91?

Ah well perhaps im biased, im always thinking lighter is better. And i think my S13 is way over weight...

Comment

Oki, stack your urls pppllleaaasssee. All this scrolling is killing me.
                            There isnt a side scroll roller.

Anyway, we got way off topic:

The GTO has factory lsd and factory coilover suspension. That
                            makes it ahead of the game out of the box. Im not talking about
                            D1. Because, anyone who competes professionally is gunna mod
                            it until there are no factory pieces left. I cant claim to have driven
                            a new GTO. I dont even like em and I wish they hadnt thrown
                            around the name GTO like that, but it is a good car. Heavy but
                            definately performance oriented. Also, there is rumored supercharged
                            version rated at 450hp. Higher than any factory
                            corvette, so I dont know if they will do it. But there
                            is plenty of torque for power overs.

As for the affordability and availability of FR platforms. Your best
                            options are probably going to come from domestic companies for
                            the next many years. I believe next year, Pontiac will be releasing
                            its miata fighter, FR four banger for under 20K. Probably 150hp.
                            May get a supercharged version in the 200s. And pontiac resurected
                            the GTO and Im sure there will be others, while
                            imports seem to be going FF. The S16 is even rumored to be FF.
                            Toyota doesnt have an FR (other than the SC and I havent seen
                            one on the streets, so that must speak for its sales) and no
                            plans for one from what I have heard.
                            Nissan isnt gunna release anything affordable but will
                            stick with the proven layout. Honda has all its going to offer. But
                            we can only hope the growth of the drift scene will bring them back.

Oki, domestic ppl have loved FR and despised FF forever. That
                            isnt a trait originally from or unique to Japan. If for no other
                            reason than FRs are faster, they have always been preferred
                            over other platforms. That partly why there is so much hate
                            between the domestics and the imports. Integras tried to run
                            with Mustangs. Im not saying one cant, but you would never find
                            a Pro class drag racing teg leave a stang. I got mad props from
                            the street racing crowd when I got my FC , cuz even they
                            realized it was FR and superior. Im not saying FF doesnt have its
                            perks, but dont let the JDMers get to your head.
                            Last edited by hachiroku-fc3s; 02-14-2004, 04:53 PM.

Comment

This is a good thread so I'll go ahead and post.

I think it'll be fine for drifting. It just takes more of everything. I think weight can be overcome with balance and skill. I'm sure RMM is capable of setting up a car.

I know Rhys has enough skill. Most of us probably aren't at that level. I can drift my corolla but that's about it. If I got in a heavier car I'd be screwing up left and right.

And I think it looks really good. I can't wait to see it sideways.

Comment

Working...
                              X