No announcement yet.

NOPI Drift - Miami, FL. Live Updates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how was that done on a second gear course?

Comment

Originally posted by EverythingDrift View Post
      Typo.. my bad.
      with a name like that + a pink miata

I can see why someone would say he is a she

he kicks a$$ though, one of my favorite drivers coming out the east coast...

Comment

Originally posted by aaronlosey View Post
        off course, unda unda, k-rail.

Comment

run over huge cone that gets stuck in your lca/tierod area @ full lock right before a transition towards a k-rail = steering wheel wont go anywhere and your barrelling at a krail at 30mph 10 feet in front of you.

sucked for dennis.

Comment

yea man that stuff with Dennis sucked! I'm glad he is ok. he car looks gnarley!

Chelsea was so awesome! I can'r believe he didn't even miss a beat when he hit the wall and flattened his tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
              run over huge cone that gets stuck in your lca/tierod area @ full lock right before a transition towards a k-rail = steering wheel wont go anywhere and your barrelling at a krail at 30mph 10 feet in front of you.

sucked for dennis.

still though, i wouldn't think a 30mph hit would buckle the whole unibody and bend the cage like that. the cage is clearly tweaked pretty badly. it doesn't even look like the door will open or close. but i guess the front wheel caught on a krail and sent the force straight back through that one frame rail, munching the cr@p out of that side.

if he had been going 60mph?

Comment

It is unfortunate what happened to Dennis. He did everything in his power to correct the problem but had no control. From what I saw in a few pics, there was a cone under the car, but, it looks like he had a broken tie rod or end. The right wheel was turned, the left wheel was straight.

His entry speeds were in the mid 50's all weekend. I would say that he was well above 40mph when he had impact with the K-rail.

Good thing is Dennis is ok, and looks like he has a few options out there on a new ride or building a new one to finish the season.

Good Luck to Dennis.

Thanks to everyone who came out and ran this past weekend. Congrats to Rob from XAT and Dan from Batlground/Maxxis. You guys were awesome in the finals.

Comment

still though, i wouldn't think a 30mph hit would buckle the whole unibody and bend the cage like that. the cage is clearly tweaked pretty badly. it doesn't even look like the door will open or close. but i guess the front wheel caught on a krail and sent the force straight back through that one frame rail, munching the cr@p out of that side.

if he had been going 60mph?

either way.

jumping jack flash gives it gas gas gas

Comment

my favorite pic from the weekend:

Comment

Here is the series of pictures of Dennis' k-rail incident.

Comment

Comment

Hey guys,

Unfortunatlly that was was my car that got smashed. Like many of you, I had invested everything I had in that car, and for it to get wiped out by a cone is hard to swallow. I drove fairly consertive all weekend and never once got close to hitting the wall....other than the normal "brushing" of the wall with the rear bumper.

approx. 60 mph entry speeds.....
                          Basically, I was short on the entry and clipped the inside cones, no biggy right? Little did I know, there were two stacked cones at the entry (see below). For some reason they got lodged in the front wheel, locking it up (as seen in the last pictures). I tried to transition away from the wall and the steering was dead...there was also alot of vibration in the steering wheel as well. I tried to turn the wheel and it was too late. I hit the first k-rail and moved it over enough to hit the next one dead on with the corner of the car.

Lessons learned.
                          1. Stacked cones are bad.
                          2. K-rail that is too small and/or light is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekDrifter View Post
                            Hey guys,

Unfortunatlly that was was my car that got smashed. Like many of you, I had invested everything I had in that car, and for it to get wiped out by a cone is hard to swallow. I drove fairly consertive all weekend and never once got close to hitting the wall....other than the normal "brushing" of the wall with the rear bumper.

approx. 60 mph entry speeds.....
                            Basically, I was short on the entry and clipped the inside cones, no biggy right? Little did I know, there were two stacked cones at the entry (see below). For some reason they got lodged in the front wheel, locking it up (as seen in the last pictures). I tried to transition away from the wall and the steering was dead...there was also alot of vibration in the steering wheel as well. I tried to turn the wheel and it was too late. I hit the first k-rail and moved it over enough to hit the next one dead on with the corner of the car.

Lessons learned.
                            1. Stacked cones are bad.
                            2. K-rail that is too small and/or light is bad.

glad you are ok, hope you can score a new ride soon enough.

as for k-rails, they are designed for road use and are meant to roll cars back onto their lane when properly locked together, hence the angle at the bottom. This works great say on an interstate, to prevent cars from hitting the oncoming cars or protect workers, in which they lower speed limits to 50mph . even at our pro-am event last year we had a car roll over, and i've seen pics from other events across the country where the same has happened. they just aren't the best answer for the sport and they cause so much damage to the cars. here, the end one was angled off the rest and appears not be locked to the others, most likely the reason why it fell so easily. otherwise it probably wouldn't have moved, which may have been just as bad at the angle you hit it.

in any case, this is why race tracks > parking lots. the courses are designed and engineered by professionals for 10's of 1000's of dollars and there is generally more than enough room for proper run offs, and if there isn't, they pad them with tires or something.

good luck.

Comment

Glad you are ok Dennis. That was a rough one. I'm sorry about the car. I know how hard you worked on it and you have had it for years now. Ihope yu can find another car. I'm praying for you if that helps

Comment

Working...
                              X