What are all these acronyms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are all these acronyms?

FCs, S13s, S14s, FBs, 240sx etc etc. What do all of these mean.

they are what the car is called either by its name or chassis

fc is a mazda rx7
    s13,14,15 are silvias as the number increases some do some of the features of the cars
    fb, shrugs
    240sx, is jsut what is it a nissan 240sx which is also the american watered down version of the s13 ect

Comment

FC = 2nd gen rx7
      s13 = 89-93 (or is it 94) 240sx (in US in japan silvia)
      s14=95-98 240sx
      FB is probably meant for "fastback" it's usually the name of the s13's that are like a hatchback also known as the rps13 or 180sx

Comment

Re: What are all these acronyms?

Originally posted by Anon
        Most of these are chassis codes.

FC is the second generation rx-7 chassis code.

S13 is the 89-94 Silvia/240sx/200sx/180sx chassis code. with nissans we use the chassis code often because the same car is sold under several different names. they also get more specific but the s13 refers to all of them.

S14 is the 95-98 240sx/Silvia/200sx Chassis code

FB refers to the First generation rx7 (fb 1st, fc 2nd, fd, third, fe rx-8) The chassis code on those 'fbs' or at least on the early ones is actualy SA22, though im not 100 percent sure on this. Hopefuly a mazda guy will clarify this.

FB can also means "Fastback" for example the 240sx came as a coupe and a fastback/hatchback

240sx is the name of a lightweight rear wheel drive nissan sports car. around 2700 lbs curb weight. Sold With a Naturally Aspirated 2.4 liter engine, known as the KA24DE* between 89-98. It and its Brothers are very popular drift cars. In 89 threw 94 they sold the S13. The S13 came as a hatchback and a coupe. Both had popup headlights. Same engine body basicly everything was identical. Except the Hatchs could be ordered with a four wheel steering mechanism and a LSD. Also they sold many more Hatches then Coupes. And alot of coupes came as automatics. My icon in the corner is a White 240sx Coupe, like i my self drive.

in Japan the S13 was sold as two cars. the Silvia Which was the coupe body with fixed headlights instead of popups. and a CA18DET** engine from 89-90 and a SR20DET*** engine from 91-94 (the years may actualy be slightly different). The hatchback was sold with the popup headlights, same as the american 240 hatch, in japan as the 180sx. 180 came from the engine displacement 1.8 originally, later went to 2.0 liters. The 240sx was named for the same thing 2.4 liters. All of the japanese cars came in both Turbo and Naturally aspirated versions. All of the turbos had a LSD standard. In places in europe the S13 was called the 200sx, and was pretty much the same as the Silvia with the sr20

The 95-98 240sx is the S14 Chassis. they only came in Coupe.
        In america most had open differentials. And all had KA24DEs In japan it sold as the Silvia. All S14s has fixed headlights. and there where two different styles. No fastback was offered. In japan they all had Naturally Aspirated SR20s or Turbo SR20DETs. T for turbo.

In japan S13 Hatchbacks (180sx) also known as RS13s were sold while they sold S14 Silvias.

*(KA for engine family 24 for 2.4 liters D for dual overhead cam, E for electronic fuel injection, 89-90 models had a single overhead cam KA24E)

** (CA18DET CA is the family of engine. 18 for 1.8 liters. D for duel overhead cam. and E for electronic fuel injection T for turbo.)

***(SR20DET SR is for family. 20 for 2 liters d for duel over head cam, E for electronic fuel injection T for turbo)

The SR KA and CA family of engines are all inline Fours. KA24DE made 155 hp and 160 ft lbs of torque. SR20DET made 205 hp 203 ftlbs of torque.

EDIT: just a few typos
        Last edited by nissanguy_24; 02-22-2004, 10:51 AM.

Comment

damn nissan guy got all up on it well anon consider yourself schooled

Comment

Damn, thats one of the most comprehensive nissan Silvia/180/240 postings Ive ever read! Good job, i couldnt have done better myself! Just as a note (since i used to have an S12), the S12 (ran from 84-88) had a few engines, the CA18ET (single overhead cam), the CA20E (SOHC, nonturbo), and the SE version in 1988 was offered with the VG30E (SOHC, nonturbo, 3.0 liter V6), same engine as in the 300zx of that year, with the same drivetrain and suspension... to my knowledge the only V6 that came factory standard in this chassis series. Also, a little elaboration on the FB and FC

FB- 1st gen RX-7, came with the 12B two-rotor engine (12 meaning 1.2 liters of displacement), nonturbo, ran from mid seventies (im not sure of specific date) til 83 (i think). IMO they looked a lot like the porsche 924 and 928

FC- 2nd gen RX-7, came with the 12B from 83 until 85, when they switched to the 13B (basically a bored out version of the 12B), and added fuel injection. Then, along came the Turbo II's, and the convertibles (from 87-91...?). They were replaced by the...

FD- 3rd generation RX-7, offered in the US from 93 til 95, appeared in Fast and the Furious as Vin Diesel's car, came with a twin turbo 13B producing 255 hp, IMO the most beautiful of the series, they ran in japan from 93 til 2000, and now the rotary legacy is carried on by the

RX-8- but i doubt you'll be seeing to many of these drifting this soon since release. Still have the 13B, but with a different porting scheme to make almost the same HP as the twin turbo, and get very much increased gas milage, has those cool suicide doors, appeared in X-Men 2 as the car wolverine, rogue, iceman and pyro escaped in... yea

Comment

FB (1st generation rx7)- 1978-1985 all are sa22c but usually the non seperated tail light first gens are just commonly reffered to as fbs and the predecessors are reffered to as sa's. Gsl's had a 12A carbed motor and Gsl-ses had 13b fuel injected motors.

Fc-(2nd generation rx7) 1986-1992 (91 in the us) NA's featured 13b 6 port fuel injected motors, turbo II's came with 4port turbo fuel injected motors.

Comment

Originally posted by P1STON2ROTARY
                FB (1st generation rx7)- 1978-1985 all are sa22c but usually the non seperated tail light first gens are just commonly reffered to as fbs and the predecessors are reffered to as sa's. Gsl's had a 12A carbed motor and Gsl-ses had 13b fuel injected motors.

Fc-(2nd generation rx7) 1986-1992 (91 in the us) NA's featured 13b 6 port fuel injected motors, turbo II's came with 4port turbo fuel injected motors.
                Sorry bro! But the 79-83 were sa22's But the 84&*% were FB's.
                Maybe because the vin# on a 84-85 is JM1FBXXXX. Just from a owner of a "FB" to state! but close enough i guess! Just correcting a statement!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. I could of filled it with more useless info but the poor guy is probably in over his head already especialy considering he just asked casually. And thanks guys for the more detailed Rotary info. I know a fair amount my self. But wasnt sure enough on it to go into that kind of detail like i did the 240sx.

Anyways alot of good info on this thread, if there is ever a 'newbie" section of the forum i would recommend something like this to be stickied up near the top.

Comment

Originally posted by RX7_Drifter
                    Sorry bro! But the 79-83 were sa22's But the 84&*% were FB's.
                    Maybe because the vin# on a 84-85 is JM1FBXXXX. Just from a owner of a "FB" to state! but close enough i guess! Just correcting a statement!
                    I=Owned
                    haha thanks for the correction man, i get dusty on the first gen technicalities lol.
                    Last edited by P1STON2ROTARY; 02-22-2004, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Except the Hatchs could be ordered with a four wheel steering mechanism and a LSD.
                      so the coup didn't come with a lsd?

Comment

In America no Coupe came with a LSD for the S13, In canada VLSDs were more common but i dont know which ones got them up there.

In canada they also were sold with KA engines as the 240sx.

EDIT: added info
                        Last edited by nissanguy_24; 02-22-2004, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Just for sake of correction, im almost 100% sure that the RX-7 FD3S ran in Japan till' 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by driftersil80
                            Just for sake of correction, im almost 100% sure that the RX-7 FD3S ran in Japan till' 2002.
                            You are 100% correct.

Comment

Re: What are all these acronyms?

Originally posted by Anon
                              umm their chassis codes so most have no meaning at all other than to designate a specific car chassis.

Comment

Working...
                              X