Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Las Vegas

Well, first and foremost....

Las Vegas is a fans track, no matter where you sit you are able to see all the action. So good job to Formula D for that, I dont know if this was how the D1 setup was... but I was very happy I was able to see every clip and turn. No big wall, no stupid fence.

Ticketing was kinda effed up... here's how it was listed on here.

Saturday July 12, 2008 – Main Event

2:00pm - 10:00pm - Ticket Will Call (Will Call Building)
    5:00am - 1:00am - GATES OPEN TO THE PUBLIC (Venue)
    4:00pm - 5:30pm - OPEN PRACTICE: Top 32 (Track)
    5:50pm - 6:05pm - National Anthem presented by the Air Force Reserve (Track)
    6:05pm - 8:20pm - QUALIFYING #2: Top 32 (Track)
    10:00pm - Opening Ceremonies / Driver Introductions (Track)
    10:25pm - MAIN COMPETITION BEGINS (Track)
    12:15am - 12:30am - Trophy Ceremony (Podium)

I was thinking I was going to be able to pick up my ticket at 2. And just walk on in, but no.... Only team will call was open and I had to wait until 4 for the regular ticket stand to open to get a will call ticket. I mind as well bought my ticket there. And on top of that they were only letting spectators with the 2 day pass go in at four, everyone else had to wait until 5:00. They finally let everyone in at 4:45 after they stood around every so often calling in 2 day ticket spectators. They were fair but not very efficient, as someone who deals with customer service not a whole lot of intensity from those employees of the track. To the fellow name Will Wetzel?? I will say it like my boss says it, make executive decisions and get hot.

During top 32 qual, I dont really need to hear Jarrod because i find it easy to judge the runs my self. And the scoreboard was very easy to see in the day time. But when night time came around and tandem battles started the scoreboard became very blurry and I could not hear the announcements. Some of it was due to the drag announcer and the "boti" DJ... very annoying trying to hear over 3 diferent voices. The drag announcer was understandable, but the DJ was just plain annoying.

And on top of that, since tandem battles had like 5 mins of downtime each Jarrod just seem to stop announcing in between runs. I'm like wow.... I'm not going to rag on the man, but if this is "pro drifting" I would really like the announcing to be more technical and not just "wooooo so and so is coming in hot!!!". I had to explain to a few first time spectators what was really going on. At times like this I really miss D1s announcing with Toshi, he was a real asset to drifting.

No real judging problems, just in tandem its kind of weird to see some runs get scored 10-8 and 7-5 as if almost every run the lead driver was perfect or really bad but still has the lead. Its just really weird, either the announcer needs to give a detailed explanation or one of the judges.

Overall, I might sound kinda critical. But I really enjoyed this event, waaaaayyyy better then the long beach event at the beginning of the year.

I give it a 8/10, good job FD!!
    Last edited by Bebop; 07-13-2008, 11:32 PM.

Great job FD!! The weather was cooler than years past (uncontrollable, but still nice), the track was more accessible than before, and the top 16 was definitely exciting! I just wish we could move the track a bit closer to the strip so it's not such a long trek back to the hotel...

This event was very well attended, but never felt crowded. Despite being a parking lot event, the cars were hitting over 100 mph before getting sideways. The course definitely pushed the drivers to the limits, but was also quite safe.

5:00am - 1:00am - GATES OPEN TO THE PUBLIC (Venue)
    That seems pretty straight forward to me?!

Comment

I can and will agree with most of what has been said.

There are a couple things that I'd like to add to my wish list.

1. Bring it either spring or fall... Middle of July (we were LUCKY this year) is uncomfortably hot. If the weather report did not have a chance of rain and a dip in temps, we were not going to go.

2. BORING (except for the actual drifting - and even then, the track lacked excitement. Comparing this to Irwindale and a couple of others) I was surprised at how far most of the tandems were from each other...compared again to previous FD's and D1's.
      When there was no action on the track there was never really anywhere interesting to pass the time. There was the drag races, but they cater to their own also. THe "car show" felt weak.

Free Parking is always good.
      The crowds were LIGHT.
      Some guy was sucker punched by the judges booth and wobbled all over the ground for quite a while. Seemed like the Security gal knew what happened but did nothing but tell the yahoos, gawking at the stumbler, in the bleachers what happened.
      The Mopar gocart nearly ran the guy over, I guess he was in their way.

But did we have a good time?

ALWAYS!

Thanks for coming to Vegas, come back again! (I wish the Grand Prix would come back!)

Comment

ha i saw the wobbly guy too! but i was trying to figure out who he was and why colin frost sat down next to him.

i thought orido got robbed. i mean first of all he was in an aristo. also in the second one more time sam was way further back than orido was when orido was chasing and sam couldnt pull closer by the 3rd(?) clipping point. i mean i checked edrft blog today to see what they saw and it seems that sam was just faster in entry speed but he is in a viper and if he is so fast then why was he trailing far behind when chasing in the OMT. i dunnoe maybe i just love orido.

i also noticed how the seating was pretty good no matter where you sat cus i came in pretty early to test almost every bleacher. i think my only complaint is that maybe the seats could have been raised like the long beach stands to eliminate the complaints of the constant standing up and sitting down probably due to the lowness of the front seats causing the front people to stand to see every run better which then makes everybody start standing. i mean standing because youre hyped is one thing but standing just because you can't see is another.

Comment

^I knew the guy!

also I thought the seating was a big plus for this event.. during the seeded practice when I went to go watch you could really feel the impact of the course/see what it was doing with the cars/drivers wherever you sat.. I thought the seats by the entry were cool because you could get a feel for how fast the cars had to come in

very fast very fun course

Comment

The thing is really, there is no need to stand, we were all pretty damn close to the action... everywhere. It's only a domino effect caused by a couple of idiots who think they would have a better view if they were 16 inches higher. I'm with everyone here when the complaints about standing... arise.

Comment

If you didnt stand by the entrance of the corner you did not truly grasp the rediculousness of the entry. This course seemed to be one of the more difficult courses. I can't speak for the drivers but I assume the first corner was a butt clincher.

The judging was interesting as usual. It wasnt so much the judging, but rather the discrepancy between the judging as if they were all, well rather one of them was watching his own event and his points were like 5 points off from the rest of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post

That seems pretty straight forward to me?!
                Not when the gates really opened at 5pm for 1 day ticket holders, and 4pm for 2 day ticket holders.

And no matter what event you go to there will always be people in the stands standing up for no good reason.

We live in america...
                Last edited by Bebop; 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Great job FD!! The weather was cooler than years past (uncontrollable, but still nice), the track was more accessible than before, and the top 16 was definitely exciting! I just wish we could move the track a bit closer to the strip so it's not such a long trek back to the hotel...
                  Your hotel was just FAR man... you were staying by South Point! The track is 15-20 minutes to downtown Las Vegas Hotels, and 5-10 minutes to the Cannery on Craig Rd. ;-) Not to knock you, but the track IS on Las Vegas Blvd...so it's actually on "the strip".

This event was very well attended, but never felt crowded. Despite being a parking lot event, the cars were hitting over 100 mph before getting sideways. The course definitely pushed the drivers to the limits, but was also quite safe.
                  Agreed! The cars had to be hitting over 100mph because they get clocked after the first clip, already sideways. Speed gets scrubbed off fast as soon as a car gets sideways, and they were getting clocked at 80+mph with some at 90+mph!

Comment

My feedback, I'm allowed to my opnion too right? haha

THANKS VEGAS for having us!
                    I had a GREAT time and you Vegas fans and whomever else came from out of town were defnitely into it, you cheered, chanted, booed and what not.

Blaze,
                    Thanks for the feedback, next event please introduce yourself I'd like to meet you. You seem like a real fan and I' like to hear what else you have to say.
                    I must say that you PERSONALLY don't want me to speak during qualifying because YOU can judge for yourself YET then when head-to-head goes on your upset because I'm not speaking.
                    You seem like your hard to please and I've been doing this for 5 years, it is pro drifting. To be honest if the judges are deliberating a score I'd rather give the crowd a break of hearing me. I have tons of knowledge and know how other than "coming in hot" you just don't want to hear it.
                    Regardless you're a fan and I can appreciate your feedback!!!

But noted, I'll drop some more knowledge for the newcomers.

Thanks again Vegas,
                    See ya next year!!!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by J-Rod; 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM.

Comment

My one question is why was the judging changed from the other events? For quite some time now the judging was based on your qualifying lines running as close to your qualifying lines and angles as possible. People with less angle just doing it to stay close were awarded more points than any previous drift event by FormulaD. I know for a fact that a lot of the drivers if explained that this is how it was to be judged would have changed it up for tandem. Not saying hey its a bad way to judge, but at least let the teams know that this is how you are going to judge and the drivers can change their style to how you want them to be. Just don't judge one way the whole year and than flip it around. Just let the teams know before hand.

Just a suggestion and not sure if anyone else saw that as well.

Comment

^^ AMEN Brother! Complete 180 from the last two years...

Comment

VEGAS ROCKS !! other than coming in short 0.7mph from top 16 haa haa lol awsome event and i get to sleep in my own bed every night haa haa

Thanks Formula Drift

Comment

Originally posted by RAM GARAGE View Post
                            VEGAS ROCKS !! other than coming in short 0.7mph from top 16 haa haa lol awsome event and i get to sleep in my own bed every night haa haa

Thanks Formula Drift
                            Dude! I met a redhead chick that other people called Tommy Suell. Did you get to meet her? Ask Boonie about it. It's not a bad thing, trust me. It's more of a funny ha ha thing. ;-)

Comment

Man I gotta give Jarod props. The guy gets ripped and bitched about a lot here and he always posts up. Not only that but he defends himself in a professional manner and is down to improve himself for the fans! Good Job!

I didnt see FD vegas, I saw FD Etown. It was fun but I wish ida seen vegas! Man what an event! from the pics and vids I've seen it looked like it was crazy fun! I hope things keep getting better for FD and the US drifting scene

Comment

Working...
                              X