(TODAY) RED BULL Drifting World Championship LONG BEACH Nov 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.What is the event about?

Formula DRIFT, North America’s premier drifting Sanctioning Body, has partnered with Red Bull Energy Drink, the world’s leading energy drink, to create one of the world’s most anticipated drifting events ever – the Red Bull Drifting World Championship. The event, which will feature 32 of the world’s best drifters, will be held in the Port of Long Beach, Calif., on Saturday & Sunday, November 15-16, 2008.

The Red Bull Drifting World Championship will bring the best drifting drivers in the world together to compete in a single historic event. Drivers from the United States, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Norway, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Ireland, UK and Canada will participate, but only one will claim the title of Red Bull Drifting World Champion. Current and past champions from the world’s top professional drifting series will receive an exclusive invitation to showcase their skills and compete for the largest drifting prize purse ever offered.

The purpose-built course will include unprecedented features that will test the limits of the drivers and their cars such as a long straight away to ensure triple-digit entry speeds, a big, sweeping first turn for high-speed drifting and multiple, technically challenging turns. Trackside viewing areas will allow spectators to get up close and personal with the competition.

Where is Ticketing, Will Call and Shuttle pick up?

Event Headquarters will be at the Long Beach Convention Center, 300 E. Ocean Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90802.

Where do we park?

Parking is available at the Long Beach Convention Center, 300 E. Ocean Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90802 or any Long Beach area parking lots.

How do I purchase tickets and how much are they?

Tickets can be purchased at
    https://redbullformuladrift.tix.com/...p?Event=161460

Pre-Sale Online
    2-Day Reserved Seating: $35.00 “Most Cost Effective Ticket Reserved Ticket”
    2-Day VIP (includes Parking, Meals, and Beverages): $150.00

Sale Prices at Event
    Sunday only GA: $30.00 – Not guaranteed. Will only go on-sale if Reserved Seating is full
    2-day General Admission: $45.00 – Not guaranteed. Will only go on-sale if Reserved Seating is full Sunday Only Reserved: $40.00
    2-Day Reserved: $50.00
    2-Day VIP $200.00

How is the competition run and judged?

General
    32 drivers will compete in single elimination head-to-head battles and win their way through a standard 32-Driver bracket.
    Practice
    Several open practices will be scheduled during the event. Practice runs may be in the format of either single or multiple car runs.
    Qualifying
    Competitors will make 2 solo qualifying runs and scores will determine their ranking in the top-32 bracket. Qualifying order will be established by drawing positions and then will be paired up accordingly.
    Main Competition (Elimination Rounds)
    Tandem rounds are based on two (2) runs in Head-to-Head format, with competitors paired up based on their rank determined by qualifying. The higher ranked driver always leads the first run.
    Elimination rounds are based on a standard 32-position, single elimination bracket. A consolation round will be held with the losers of the Final Four round competing for third place.
    JUDGING
    Drifting is a driving technique in which the driver takes the line that is decided upon by the judges of the event. Generally this line is one that provides the highest speed and angle the car is capable of handling.
    Fundamentals of Judging
    The criteria for judging are as follows:
    • LINE
    • ANGLE
    • SPEED
    • OVERALL IMPACT

LINE:
    The drift line is defined as the ideal path a vehicle must take on course and is marked by inner clipping points, outer clipping points, and transition zones. Inner Clipping Point are reference points on the course where the vehicles front bumper should come as close as possible to the reference point. Outer Clipping Points are reference points are scored by determining how close the corner of the vehicle’s rear bumper comes to the point. Transition Zones are areas on track where the direction of the line changes and vehicles must change the direction of their drift. Scoring will be based on the execution of the transition. The drift line will be given during the drivers’ meeting.
    ANGLE:
    The maximum angle at which a driver can maintain and control of their vehicle.
    SPEED:
    Vehicle speed is measured from start to finish. Top speed is measured at a location designated by the judges. Two distinct speed zones may also be designated.
    OVERALL IMPACT (Style):
    This is all of the above elements combines. This is the factor that differentiates the drivers character, style and identity. A driver’s entry speed and initiation usually sets the tone of the entire run.
    SCORING
    Qualifying Scoring
    Qualifying is based on a 100 point scale with points deducted for deviations from the perfect line, lower angles, lower speeds, and reduced Overall Impact.
    Spinouts: Anytime a driver spins out or experiences major understeer during a run, a 0 score will be awarded.
    Off Course: Unless otherwise specified during the judging meetings, if at any time 3 tires or more are off course during a run, the driver will be given a score of “0”.
    Clipping Zones: All clipping points, either inner or outer, will be marked visibly by cones or other similar marking. Anytime an “Inner Clipping Cone” is hit, the vehicle will be considered to be off course, and points will either be deducted, or the driver will be scored a 0, depending on the severity of the hit. Hitting an “Outer Clipping Cone” with anything other than the driver’s rear bumper will be equivalent to 3 tires off course and will be scored a 0. (ie. hitting the cone with the rear tire, door, etc.)
    Slight contact with a wall or cone in the “Outer Clipping Zone” will not result in a point deduction if the hit does not disturb or affect the course of the drivers run. This means no major corrections were needed after the hit and the driver was still able to maintain good line, speed, and angle. If the hit occurs at any other point on track other than the marked “Outer Clipping Zones” points may be deducted. If a spin or major under steer results from contact with an “Outer Clipping Zone” an automatic score of 0 will be given.
    Tandem Scoring

3 Judges will observe both runs during a head to head battle. There will be no declaration of scores between the two runs. At the conclusion of the head to head battle each judge will individually declare a winner. Judges will select from three options:
    • Driver “A” wins,
    • Driver “B” wins, or
    • “Tie”
    The majority will rule and a winner will be decided. In the event there is no clear majority, a “One More Time” will be granted, and the competitors will begin another 2-run head-to-head battle. Multiple “One-More-Times” may be necessary to determine a winner.

Will there be ATM’s available?

There will be ATM’s at both the Long Beach Convention Center and also at the Event Venue for your convenience.

What is the Prize Purse?

The drivers will be competing for the largest prize purse in drifting history. The World Champion will receive $25,000, 2nd Place will receive $15,000, and 3rd Place will receive $10,000.

What are the Ticket Box Office and Will Call Hours?

Friday, Nov. 14: 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM
    Saturday, Nov. 15: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
    Sunday, Nov. 16: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM

Comment

• How has the response been to the SPEED coverage so far?
      Good ratings?
      Positive feedback?

GOOD stuff???

Comment

• How has the response been to the SPEED coverage so far?
        Amazing so far. Speed loves the show and it is doing very well

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsegBWtH_K0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zsegBWtH_K0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• hey

Wheres my privateers at showing up for

Tommy Suell, you coming out?

Jeff Jones repping for the brotarys?

there's no one else on the confirmed list who is coming that I ever heard of.

Drag racers only???lol

Comment

• So I'm a little confused on how the seating is working out, I and 4 other people were just going to show up and buy our tickets there but is that not going to work since it's reserved?

Comment

• So I'm a little confused on how the seating is working out, I and 4 other people were just going to show up and buy our tickets there but is that not going to work since it's reserved?
              no you can show up and buy your tix on the day of if you want. It isn't the most cost effective but you can do that. The two day ticket online is $35 which is the most cost effective ticket and gets you a seat guaranteed both days. If you prefer to buy onsite saturday or sunday you can do that too. See the RB event page on our site for ticket prices.

How do I purchase tickets and how much are they?

Pre-Sale Online
              2-Day Reserved Seating: $35.00 “Most Cost Effective Reserved Ticket”
              2-Day VIP (includes Parking, Meals, and Beverages): $150.00

Sale Prices at Event
              Sunday only GA: $30.00 – Not guaranteed. Will only go on-sale if Reserved Seating is full
              2-day General Admission: $45.00 – Not guaranteed. Will only go on-sale if Reserved Seating is full Sunday Only Reserved: $40.00
              2-Day Reserved: $50.00
              2-Day VIP $200.00

Comment

• Originally posted by gigglesnirt View Post
                So I'm a little confused on how the seating is working out, I and 4 other people were just going to show up and buy our tickets there but is that not going to work since it's reserved?
                Plus you get better seats if you buy 'em now.

Got my tickets ordered and hotel reserved. Now all I have to do is wait...

Comment

• Yeah i talked with everyone going, i think we're just buying all our tickets now with one purchase to make it easy.

Comment

• If you buy your tix online, you just roll up to the convention center, hit will call, grab your tix, hop on the tram and you are done. If you buy on-site, you have to go through one more step of buying them at the box office. Not a huge deal, but why spend more when you don't have to? There are not fees for online tix either.

Suggestion: Car pool

Comment

• Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      hey

Wheres my privateers at showing up for

Tommy Suell, you coming out?

Jeff Jones repping for the brotarys?

there's no one else on the confirmed list who is coming that I ever heard of.

Drag racers only???lol
                      I ll br there kicking it on the downlow with the pro am guys haa haa !! lol

should be awsome even though i had a rough year this year . i get to drive this super track haa haa cant wait. new tune and new clutch . I HEART WALLS

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula D View Post

Suggestion: Car pool
                        Definitely, taking a natural gas vehicle so the whole trip costs about $60 total round trip.

Comment

• Question: will alcohol be served at the event?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            Question: will alcohol be served at the event?
                            Ryan from FD confirmed this by email

Comment

• Interesting.

Can we bring food/drink into the venue?

Comment

• Fredrick Girard DMCC Canada 2008 DMCC Champ ACCEPTED
                                ruh roh.... more drama in the LBC...

Comment

Working...
                                X