X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (RESULTS) RED BULL Drifting World Championship

Red Bull Drifting World Championship Results;
    Rhys Millen Wins the Title of World Champion at Inaugural Event

Long Beach, Calif. – November 16, 2008 – Rhys Millen won the title of “World Champion” at the inaugural Red Bull Drifting World Championship. History was made with the top drifters from around the world competing for the largest prize purse in drifting history at the Port of Long Beach.

17 past and present drifting champions from the top drifting organizations in the world gathered in Long Beach, CA for the first Red Bull Drifting World Championship. First place qualifier Rhys Millen and his Red Bull Pontiac Solstice outperformed the competition to win the largest single prize of $25,000 in drifting history. Teammate Daijiro Yoshihara and his Bridgestone / RMR Pontiac GTO took home the 2nd place prize of $15,000 and the 2007 and 2008 Formula DRIFT champion, Tanner Foust and the Rockstar / AEM Nissan 350Z took home 3rd place overall and $10,000.

“To come up after one of the most challenging years in Formula DRIFT and finish in the top 3 and then to be the marquee driver at this premiere event and take the Red Bull Drifting Championship outright is a feeling I have never had before,” says Rhys Millen, Formula DRIFT driver and event winner. “To stand on the podium with teammate Daijiro Yoshihara at this event to end the season is fantastic, what more could you ask for?”

Gathering at the Port of Long Beach were the top drivers that compete from Formula DRIFT, D1GP, D1 New Zealand, DMCC, Drift Australia, EDC, FD Singapore, IDS, Nordic Drift, New Zealand Drift, and Pro Drift. This was a battle of the champions and Formula DRIFT 2005 champion Millen came out on top.

“All the teams, fans, sponsors, supporters and especially Red Bull and the City of Long Beach made the Red Bull Drifting World Championship truly historical event,” said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “We were able to bring the entire drifting world together under one roof and made for one of the best drifting competitions ever.”

The event was held at a special venue on the Port of Long Beach that featured a purpose built drifting track that was highlighted by a very fast entry and 6 technical turns. Event winner Millen set the speed bar high by also claiming the highest entry speed of the event with a speed of 103.7 miles per hour during the finals. The track proved to be challenging with many drivers falling victim to the walls and barricades and other drivers stepping up to show off their total car control.

The level of competition was at an all-time high and created one of the most exciting events in drifting history. The Top 32 drivers battled round by round and the semi-finals pitted (4) Formula DRIFT drivers against each other. Yoshihara got the best of 2-time Formula DRIFT Champion Samuel Hubinette in the Nuformz / Mopar Dodge Viper placing him into the Finals. Current Formula DRIFT champion Tanner Foust battled against Rhys Millen, with Millen coming out on top. The consolation round with Foust and Hubinette was a close fought battle, but Foust’s consistent driving proved to be the deciding factor placing him in 3rd place. The final battle between teammates Millen and Yoshihara was a close fight, but Yoshihara decided his fate with a spin in the last round, giving the inaugural Red Bull Drifting World Championship to Rhys Millen.

Red Bull Drifting World Championship Top 32 Bracket
    Posted by john

The first day of the Red Bull Drifting World Championship has been one of the most exciting events yet! The level of talent is extraordinary with the top drivers in the world competing at this inaugural event. The drivers faced a very fast track and a couple of drivers were forced to wiRed Bull driver Rhys Millen clocking in over 100 mph entry speeds set the bar high and took the 1st qualifying position, even after tapping the wall and straightening out on his 2nd qualifying run.
    98.17 R. Millen #6
    97.00 S. Hubinette #77
    96.83 P. Vlasblom #32
    96.08 K. Ueo #86
    95.75 D. McNamara #8
    94.67 D. Yoshihara #9
    94.50 V. Gittin #25
    93.83 C. Grunewald #79
    93.50 T. Foust #34
    93.08 K. Mohan #99
    92.25 M. Takatori #23
    92.08 C. Forsberg #64
    90.33 C. Ruiterman #16
    90.33 F. Aasabo #51
    86.67 J. Deane #17
    86.50 T. Djan #48
    83.92 S. Verdier #12
    83.67 T. Marshall #118
    83.42 L. Fink #69
    82.92 G. Whiter #11
    82.92 E. O’Sullivan #7
    82.50 B. Sherman #22
    80.58 L Fine #14
    79.58 R. Niezen #20
    77.83 R. Nishida #31
    77.25 M. Santos #19
    72.67 R. Bolger #911
    72.42 B. Broke-Smith #24
    0.00 K. Gushi #5
    0.00 M. Widdet 15
    0.00 R. Miki #26
    0.00 J. Pawlak #13

I have a question. How are the matchups decided for the top 16 (32 in this event)?

Is it based on qualifying or is it random?

I'm not trying to accuse anyone of rigging the event, but I was at least hoping more of the US team would have to fight each other for a spot. I always like seeing new faces enter the ranks in Formula D and the matchups really didn't give the underdogs a good chance of making it through the brackets. But however it works, the guys who win undoubtedly earn their spot.

I am happy that Mad Mike at least made it to the great 8. Can't wait to see more video of that 4 rotor beast. And I haven't seen Ueo in a very long time.

It's always good to see the Japanese veterans in action. I remember Ueo back when his AE86 was just gloss black with no stickers and I was watching JDM option videos back when they were on VHS tapes with no english translation.

I've met Rhys, Sam, Tanner and Chris. All really nice guys. I somehow think there will be a kneejerk shitstorm if Rhys wins. Anyone else agree?
    Last edited by Sebring; 11-16-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

So congrats Rhys, Dai and Tanner

Comment

I left after UEO vs. Dai.

Ueo KILLED KILLED KILLED KIILLLLLEEEDD it out there.

I really didn't care to see any more Rhys/Sam/Tanner runs.

I have to give "props" to mad mike. Hot. 2 runs in a row with crashes but he kept going. that was hot. I never liked him before simply because of the camoflauge. Now.... those crashes made up for it.

Standing room only was pretty shitty. BIG negative rep.

Comment

Yeah..UUUUUEEEEEEOOOO is awesome. I heard his clutch took a dump on him during his last 2 runs though. DRIFTSPEEDs cars kicked some butt this weekend with Quoc Ly and UEO ripping it up out there..

Great event. They should make permanent track there...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            I left after UEO vs. Dai.

Ueo KILLED KILLED KILLED KIILLLLLEEEDD it out there.

I really didn't care to see any more Rhys/Sam/Tanner runs.

I have to give "props" to mad mike. Hot. 2 runs in a row with crashes but he kept going. that was hot. I never liked him before simply because of the camoflauge. Now.... those crashes made up for it.

Standing room only was pretty shitty. BIG negative rep.
            Man, I was up in grandstand two...plenty of room

I was wondering why so many were standing in front of the track

Comment

Rhys Millen 2008 Red Bull World Drifting Championship Winner
              Posted by john

After a spin-out by Daijiro Yoshihara, Red Bull’s very own Rhys Millen has been crowned the Red Bull World Drifting Championship winner! Congratulations to him, second place winner Daijiro Yoshihara and third place winner Tanner Foust!

Comment

so was ueo the most exciting to watch out of everybody? I read on everythingdrift blog that he has some super early entries?

Comment

Originally posted by borodori View Post
                  so was ueo the most exciting to watch out of everybody? I read on everythingdrift blog that he has some super early entries?
                  him and dai were like haruguchi status

initiate and just hold through the apex... real dope

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    Man, I was up in grandstand two...plenty of room

I was wondering why so many were standing in front of the track
                    there was plenty of room in grandstand 3 also. i wonder how many people there were and if this was considered a good turnout.

Comment

Saturday they attempted to kick me out of the grandstand but I said NOPE, I'LL STAY HERE.

then Sunday came and they were more in force..... but I got to the bleachers eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by Sebring View Post
                        I have a question. How are the matchups decided for the top 16 (32 in this event)?

Is it based on qualifying or is it random?

I'm not trying to accuse anyone of rigging the event, but I was at least hoping more of the US team would have to fight each other for a spot. I always like seeing new faces enter the ranks in Formula D and the matchups really didn't give the underdogs a good chance of making it through the brackets.
                        Apperantly you didn't make it out to day 1. There was a qualifying session to set up the brackets.

There was plenty of room in grandstand 1 too. Granted, my Dad and I were willing to kick people out of our reserved seats, so it wasn't like we had to fight for them.

Redbull, PLEASE lets do this again. Epic event.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          Saturday they attempted to kick me out of the grandstand but I said NOPE, I'LL STAY HERE.

then Sunday came and they were more in force..... but I got to the bleachers eventually...
                          Why were they trying to kick you out of the grandstands? Were you too REAL for them??

Seriously though why would they kick you out...were the grandstands reserved or something?

Comment

well, there were tickets that "got you in the gate. standing room only" and there were tickets for the grandstands... and then VIP etc....

Saturday, we were up top the grandstands and there was plenty of room. they were nowhere near packed. the staff pro lady told us we were not allowed up there, but that wasn't my plan. She got a higher up dude to come talk to us, so I handled it. I said IF somebody came and needed the seats, by all means, we would leave. That is fine. understandable. BUT, nobody came and there was tons of room. No need to kick us out.

Comment

Ueo was by far the most exciting driver (no disrespect to others). His angle was ridiculous, closer to a 90 degree angle than anything else. Battle of the night no doubt was between Ueo and Dai, really lost interest afterwards.
                              Good to see the original Discount Tire Falken Tire driver Hubert Young and his lady sitting not too far from where I was enjoying the great runs by great drivers. Hubert, hope to see you run professionally again in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                              X