Forgotten / Overlooked Cars & Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akuma S14 View Post
    And replacement parts are Porsche price..... is that cheap?
    <sighs> Weren't for the BMW E30, so I could imagine.

Comment

yeah, the difference between the E30 and the 944 is..... E30's are well sorted cars and seem to be capable of drifting really good. I know more than one person that has dropped an SR20 into the engine bay and it is pretty sweet.

Comment

Why all this hate for the 944?
        I had one for a while and I found it to be a great car.
        Mind you I never tried drifting it (like you said, parts aren't cheap...)
        but I did have a little fun with it in the rain and found it to react
        decently. About it being unreliable, maybe I was just lucky.

Anyways, my 2 cents....

Comment

yeah, the difference between the E30 and the 944 is..... E30's are well sorted cars and seem to be capable of drifting really good. I know more than one person that has dropped an SR20 into the engine bay and it is pretty sweet.
          and in the near future you can add another on to that list lol

another guy did a RB swap in his...totally badass.

Comment

Originally posted by FD3S_pilot View Post
            and in the near future you can add another on to that list lol

another guy did a RB swap in his...totally badass.
            Found a guy who did an LS1 swap, generic swap until you consider it was an E30. Don't remember if it was a sedan or coupe. These are starting to become the new RX7s of swaps. Any pushrod V8 will fit, and possibly SOHCs, too.

Comment

Why would anyone want to drift an E30? That rear trailing-arm suspension is just terrible. I had the same suspension in my S12 and dear god it drove like *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* when I lowered it. E36's are coming down in initial cost and parts aren't any more expensive than a Toyota. I didn't plan to drift mine but now I don't see the point in NOT drifting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                Why would anyone want to drift an E30? That rear trailing-arm suspension is just terrible. I had the same suspension in my S12 and dear god it drove like *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* when I lowered it. E36's are coming down in initial cost and parts aren't any more expensive than a Toyota. I didn't plan to drift mine but now I don't see the point in NOT drifting it.
                Well, my 325e sedan had a bad tendency to oversteer when I charged into a corner. It did really well using weight shifting and clutch kicking, but usually it didn't want drift until well after the apex/clipping point. But, it also had an open diff and stock, 125K+ mile suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                  FC's have rear trailing arm suspension and JTP and Kyle Mohan seem to be doing just fine. And don't forget Todd Ho - LS1 FC3s he did pretty good too!

Comment

relatively speaking the plymouth growler and the corvette are not cheap cars. Plus the amount of work to actually make the go sideways is more than a lot.
                    The 944 is even worse - if you like the way it looks then buy a FC. The 944 suspension is not very good and even if you get a full set up from JIC the car still sucks. And replacement parts are Porsche price..... is that cheap?
                    I understand that not all of those cars would be cheap to drift, but the posts that i quoted stated thatcause they were uglythey basicly had no buisness drifting. Thats all subjective. These are rear wheel drive platforms that would be interesting to see drift. There are plenty of cars that have been built that weren't cheap to start out with. Depending on the year corrvette you can get one for relatively cheap. And the after market support is almost endless.

Comment

one of the most over looked are 80s thunder birds they are on the fox body platform and with some coilovers and some added steering angle they drift as good as any thing els

Comment

wow, I guess this is the internet but, wow. Too bad when the 944 was made it was considered the best handling production car ever made. It has a near 50/50 weight distribution and is still widely raced today. Parts for the cars are cheap as hell too, Ive raced a 240sx, E30 325is, FC RX-7 and EG civic and the maintenance cost was about average on the 944. Here's something for drifter fan boys, of all those FR cars the 240 was the worst handling. JIC suspension on a 944? ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by racer View Post
                          wow, I guess this is the internet but, wow. Too bad when the 944 was made it was considered the best handling production car ever made. It has a near 50/50 weight distribution and is still widely raced today. Parts for the cars are cheap as hell too, Ive raced a 240sx, E30 325is, FC RX-7 and EG civic and the maintenance cost was about average on the 944. Here's something for drifter fan boys, of all those FR cars the 240 was the worst handling. JIC suspension on a 944? ugh.
                          WOW thanks for your awesome first post. 944 is considered the best handling car by whom? What is your racing experience? Sure the 944 is still raced today, and it is not a bad car but this discussion is about drifting not racing. Secondly have you ever used JIC suspension? Or better yet have you ever used JIC suspension for the 944?

For you to call people "fan boys" shows that you really have no idea who you are talking to. And for you to claim that the 240 is the worst handling car of all those you listed is damn near funny. What do you base you claim on?

Please feel free to enlighten the fan boy here.

Comment

Racer made a mistake

you fan boys and your drifting...

Comment

Yeah there is a guy in orlando that is out at pretty much every drift event at orlando speedworld sliding his 944. does pretty decent I have to say.

and there are a bunch of E30 drift cars here in FL atleast 8 or so i see on a regular basis.

Harri kinda started the BMW tend here with his E34 5 series. I slide a E36 wonderfully smooth mid slide. Very easy and predicatable car. Feels very nimble even though mine weighs 3200lbs without me in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
                                Yeah there is a guy in orlando that is out at pretty much every drift event at orlando speedworld sliding his 944. does pretty decent I have to say.

and there are a bunch of E30 drift cars here in FL atleast 8 or so i see on a regular basis.

Harri kinda started the BMW tend here with his E34 5 series. I slide a E36 wonderfully smooth mid slide. Very easy and predicatable car. Feels very nimble even though mine weighs 3200lbs without me in it.
                                I love to see the E36 drift - the only thing I ever saw a problem with on that car is the Ackerman gets a little wierd. But I know some guys that have fixed that and they do look great when sideways. A lot of guys in Japan are buying 318's and swapping in SR20's.

Comment

Working...
                                X