drifting techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nuclear_turtle
    I think i must be the only one on these forums that doesnt live in Cali, besides the Norway guy. Well and i only got into cars like 3 months ago
    Another east coaster here. And I dont know what technique I use but I just turn kinda soon and basically floor it making the back end spin out but then correcting it by turning the steering wheel. Kind of a lame way to drift but it works.

Comment

since we are talking about techniques and stuff can anyone give the illiterates like me a good website for info on how to drift and things like that? the velocity site isnt working or to me it isnt. anyways, i learned how to drift i think by looking at a website 3 years ago and ive been doing the same " go to second gear and rev and pull the clutch out" kinda deal but i never really learned names of techniques that you guys talk about.

Comment

http://www.driftclub.com/techniques.htm that has a lot of info for the newbie drifters

Comment

hey thanks for that website dude. so whats the best way a beginner should properly drift?

Comment

Braking Drift, I do this every moring on my way home from work at 2 am! off ramps are cool

Comment

damm dudes, i have been drfiting as long as i can remember(only 15) and i never knew that there were technices like that i mean, i used to take the keys to any one of my parents' cars when they werent home and take corners at high speeds till the everything would slip outa place then keep on the gas while counter steering(all in old boaty cars, and all in dirt, i lived on a farm) i have never heard of anything like that though and no one i know has,lol*thinks back to yesteryear* i took out one of my friends drifting in alphalpha fields in my old boat and i remember him screaming were ganna role*lol
              wow thanx for the great insite on the sport that i am headed into
              i never knew my free time had a title such as drifting
              -myk_

Comment

When I had my BMW it was generally feint. I tried a clutch kick once and spun out, so no more of that for a while. Since my engine blew up, all I have is a ff nissan sentra. I tried an e-brake slide the first day I drove it and the rear wheel broke off. I have to get another real car.

Comment

I guess my favorite is the power-over. But its the easiest when you have a turbo miata that is 2100lbs. Franky iv never tried anything else.. well maybe the manji thing but I dont think I tried?

Comment

ok, so i'm new and still learning and suck a lot....but last night my buddy (w/ his na FC) and I (w/ my weak mx-5) went out to practice last night....we practiced for 3 hrs. it was great and i figured out how to clutch kick, which was hella' scary at first, but it's not that bad IMO. it is violent though and kicks my little na out fast. so right now that's the main tech. i've been practicing and figuring out (since my e-brake is not working the best right now..need to fix this weekend).

anyways, i still can't bring myself to feint...to me that seems harder to control and perform than the clutch kick. maybe that's just because of my little miata platform? or it could just be me. last night was the first time i have really ever gone out and "drifted"....i sucked bad, but it was fun learning anyways. i love the clutch kick though, any ideas on how to feint better or bring myself to do it?

later.

Comment

Feint, in my opinion, is by far the easiest technique out there. Real easy to do Jonny, just before you enter a corner, give a quick turn tword the outside of the corner and then spin the wheel back in the direction of the turn. This will help the car to rotate, you can do it when you are either on the gas or on the brake, although I find it easier to do when I am at low/partial throttle, and then when the back starts to slide, I get on the gas a bit to bring the rear around and to adjust the way the car is going to come out of the drift. Thats it, you can use the ebake to elongate the slide and for last second direction changes, but otherwise, its up to you to polish the technique to your needs and to what feels right to you.

Comment

I use the scandinavian flick (feint/inertia) with combination of shift lock (see posted vid in the pics. forum). I was not aware that the shift lock is that difficult... i guess its because it's how i learned to drift and have been doing it. I also use trail braking in combination with shift lock. Only lately have i been using the p-brake... its very hard to catch it at the right moment.

I want to get into getting sideways well before a turn.

Hell...i just like having fun.

Comment

my fav is a combination of multiple styles. I put the clutch in, feint a little, cut back in, (pull the handbrake depending on angle of turn and speed), let out the clutch, and countersteer. This is in a '85 AE86, which needs alot to break traction due to not alot of power

Comment

Originally posted by emission
                            Braking Drift, I do this every moring on my way home from work at 2 am! off ramps are cool
                            e braking right? braking drifts are nuts. i hope yer not tellin a newbie to try braking drifts. :P

Comment

If the car is set up right, braking drifts are easy, but the level of hardness varies alot from car to car and depends on the brakes and pads bieng used, so with stock brake and stock suspension fuh-ged-a-bout-ih

Comment

brake drift = trail braking ????

Comment

Working...
                                X