(D1GP UPDATES) Prize Money, Parties, New Judge,Track Revision + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (D1GP UPDATES) Prize Money, Parties, New Judge,Track Revision + More

ANAHEIM, Calif. (April 20, 2009) – Excitement is mounting as D1 Grand Prix (www.d1gp.com), the motorsports industry’s premier drifting series, enters the final stages of preparation for its return to competition in the U.S. The premier event, round 1 of four scheduled events in the Championship Points Series, is set to take place on Saturday, May 2 at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif. As the event nears and the final pieces are being put in place, D1GP USA released its schedule for the event weekend.

Industry & Fan Appreciation Night

On Thursday April 30th the D1 drivers will be at K1 Speed in Anaheim for an autograph signing from 5:30pm – 7pm in the parking lot. Afterwards, attendees are invited inside the facility to witness industry executives, members of the media and fans doing battle on the track against the D1 drivers.

Official Pre and Post Parties

On Friday May 1st D1GP USA, in association with the Gumball 3000, will be holding its official launch party at the Santa Monica Pier beginning at 5pm. The pier will be shut down for special live performances, a showcase of Gumball Rally cars, celebrity drivers and more. The event is open to the public and admission is free.

On Saturday May 2, D1GP USA will host its official after party at the Sutra Nightclub in Costa Mesa, with a live DJ and performance by the Speaker Junkies.

D1GP USA
    On Saturday May 2, D1GP USA Round #1 at Angel Stadium in Anaheim will feature the largest build-out of a drift track in history. Some of the highlights on and off the track will include:

Track Build

* Largest build-out for a drifting event in history
    * 1,000 foot long entry allows competitors to reach 3rd gear and high speeds before entering the 500 foot by 500 foot drift course.
    * Newly developed half-circle truss clipping point markers within the course.

Off-Track Entertainment

* Extreme AutoFest car show competition featuring more than 250 highly modified exotic and tuner vehicles.
    * Stunt bike, shifter kart and skate demos.
    * HPI Racing RC drift track.
    * Celebrity drivers and cars from the Gumball 3000.
    * Live performances by the reunited members of Sublime, Speaker Junkies and more.

Event and Championship Prize Purse

* Event registration fees go directly into the prize purse, with 50 percent going into the event payout and 50 percent being added to the “pot” for the series championship.
    * D1GP USA’s Progressive Prize Payout system ensures that the prize purse will be no less than $7,500 per event and $30,000 for the championship, although the amounts could be much higher depending on the number of drivers registering and any contingency money thrown into the pot.

Competition Format

* Practice and qualifying rounds will take place on Friday, May 1.
    * The top 16 qualifiers will compete in the “SUPER16” main event on Saturday, May 2.
    * Features tournament style bracket and head-to-head battles (1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, etc.).
    * Championship series points will be awarded to all 16 positions – from 25 points for the first place finisher to 1 point for sixteenth place.

Judging Format

* The D1GP USA Pro1 system introduces advanced computerized scoring into the world of drifting competition, allowing 75 percent of the total score to be calculated from unbiased data measurements.
    * Remaining 25 percent will be based on style points and averaged out between the three judges.

Event Head Judge

* The head judge for the Anaheim D1 event will be Hisashi Kamimoto, who also serves as a judge for D1GP Japan.

Associate Judges

* Recently announced series judge Brian Norris, Southern California native and one of the earliest adopters of the sport of drifting in the United States.
    * Adam Andretti, professional race car driver and member of one of the most legendary families in all of motorsports.

Competition Director

· Terence Jenkins – Jenkins founded Lateral G Racing and along with his driver Samuel Hubinette, the team went on to become crowned the first ever championship winning American drift team. Jenkins went on to form the WDC and since 2005 he has provided drift exhibitions, promoting the sport of drifting at major Indy Racing League events. Additionally, Terence ran Octane TV, a cable TV On Demand, broadband and mobile network focusing on automotive programming.

Technical Director

· Chiaki Goto – Goto’s racing career includes championship wins in the N1 Endurance Race in Japan for three consecutive years, from 1995 to 1998. He also served as the director and mechanic of the JIC Magic drifting team in 2003. From 2004 to 2007, Goto served as Race Operations Director for D1GP USA.

Director of Track Operations

· Naoki Kobayashi – Kobayashi hosted the first ever drift clinic in North America, called Drift Day. Soon after, he formed the Drift Association and started working with D1GP to host its first Ikaten competition. He also helped bring the first D1GP competition to the United States, co-organizing the 2003 event at Irwindale Speedway. Since 2002, Kobayashi has hosted well over 250 events nationwide. His most recent projects include the Pro Am Drift series and Drift 101.

Announcer

· Will Mattox takes over as the voice of D1GP USA. He is currently the voice of Rally America and has played as host for the rally portion of X Games 14 and 15. Lisa Uchida, the voice of D1GP Japan, will also be calling the play by play in both English and Japanese.

Line Production

· Dennis Condon & Associates –The Dennis Condon and Associates team represents the pinnacle of event production, with a resume that includes the Olympic Games, MTV Music Awards, Disney events, and Supercross. They will be responsible for all on-track entertainment as well as the opening and closing ceremonies.

Option Video

· D1’s Option video will be filming with legendary host Manabu Suzuki - the voice of D1 in Japan

Ticket Prices

· Bleacher & General Admission tickets are available at www.d1gp.com and at the event box office.

that's the EXACT same track setup as red bull!

and I think the redbull buildout was bigger.

More smoke and mirrors....

Comment

yeah the redbull course was alot bigger, another unfounded claim.

I love how they act like FD doesn't exist

Comment

is there a drivers list out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
          yeah the redbull course was alot bigger, another unfounded claim.

I love how they act like FD doesn't exist
          ....and red bull was a 3x bigger version of daiba, and fd las vegas was a modified version of D1 las vegas.... and irwindale... yea its irwindale and D1 was there first.

I really don't see a problem with sharing course setups.

Comment

* Largest build-out for a drifting event in history
            that's where the problem is.

Comment

Until FD and D1 decides to co-exist, there will always be a pissing contest.

Comment

seriously

Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post
                why dont you say it the way it is... FD is the only one bashing people on here !

Comment

Originally posted by AE86_Fan View Post
                  why dont you say it the way it is... FD is the only one bashing people on here !
                  Because they are looking after the long term health of professional drifting in America. D1 coming in and putting on a event on one side of the US a week before a previously scheduled event on the other end of the country.

This is not good for the sport.

Its all about money... and there are different ways of making it. Some ways are respectable, and some are not.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    ....and red bull was a 3x bigger version of daiba, and fd las vegas was a modified version of D1 las vegas.... and irwindale... yea its irwindale and D1 was there first.

I really don't see a problem with sharing course setups.
                    lol yea i think people fail to realize redbull was just an oversized odaiba... So D1 is just taking their claim back..

Comment

sad but true... champcar and indy were a good example. pretty much killed open wheel racing in America.

Comment

Originally posted by AE86_Fan View Post
                        Both sides bash each other.

Personally, I think FD got out of hand and showed unproffesionalism and immaturity when it went onto a D1 thread and started "policing" and correcting D1's statements.

On the other hand, D1 always uses superlatives such as the best, largest, biggest, etc., to all of their comments as if to degrade or belittle FD.

A perfect example were the D1 flyers left on my car at the FD Long Beach event 2 weeks ago. It said something like "come see the best drifters in the world" or something to that effect. BTW Smart marketing move on D1's part to pass out those flyers at FD's event. Where else would you reach more drifting fans than at a drifting event put on by your competitor.

Comment

lol

-1 to te guy who left 2 on my windshield and 2 on the back of my hatch

Comment

I was hoping for some bigger announcements. Honestly, I thought they were going to announce some FD drivers to drive in this event.

Comment

I was hoping for some bigger announcements. Honestly, I thought they were going to announce some FD drivers to drive in this event.
                              If I were a driver, I wouldn't want THAT hanging over my head once I went to the next drift round....

Comment

Working...
                              X