ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(V8 PREDICTION) What Percentage of the 2011 Builds Will Have a V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (V8 PREDICTION) What Percentage of the 2011 Builds Will Have a V8?

(V8 PREDICTION) What Percentage of the 2011 Builds Will Have a V8?

PRO Level?
    PRO-AM Level?
    100%
    7.06%
    95%
    10.00%
    85%
    24.71%
    80%
    19.41%
    75%
    14.12%
    70%
    7.06%
    65%
    5.88%
    60%
    3.53%
    55%
    0.00%
    50%
    8.24%

Pro level I would say a good 65% seeing that the field it self is filled with cars that come with V8s from the factory

I think XDC will be at a 45-50% ratio.

Comment

I think at least 7 out of the top 10 cars will have V8s in Formula D.

I think Pro-Am will have a 40-50% V8 line up. They're just too easy, cheap, and reliable for the grassroots guys to pass up.

Comment

my guess. 87.5%

Comment

Originally posted by CelicaDRIFTER View Post
          my guess. 87.5%

lol you throwing V6s in there?

Comment

90+ i say. idk. beats me. Lol. It seems to me that last year at infinion almost all of the qualifyers were some sort of v8.
            Last edited by Linguo415; 02-01-2011, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I think you'll see a lot of V8s in Pro-Am and Pro. On average, I think there will be 70% of competitors with a V8 and you'll probably see more in Pro-Am.

Reason? Because of costs. V8 kits are coming out of the woodwork like B-series swap kits were in the late 90s and early 2000s, and just like those kits, they will become less and less expensive. It's also easy to make power on the $1 menu budget and afford a Whopper every once in a while, too.

Now, in the Pro-ranking, I don't think there will be as many as there is being fear-mongered around. Tanner no longer has a V8, Gardella's second car might not get one (based on the questioning in the Driver's Search), the Diesel Mercedes won't be a V8 (I REALLY hope this one gets built), Aasbo's Supra probably won't, and from what I know Taka Aono will not be getting one. Are any of them going to be contenders for 2011? Possibly, if they play the tire rule right. I still think the V8s were reaction to how the rules were going and now that you can't fit a 275 fat tire on a 2000 lbs car traction is going to be a key issue and the V8s in small, light cars are going to be on the losing end. Next year, I predict that the V8s will not be as prolific as they seem to be now.

Comment

80%pro 50%proam sounds about right.

I think the future won't see less V8's as much as just less 'crazy' v8s. You cant deny that having torque EVERYWHERE is perfect for us, but with the tire rules- 800hp v8's in 2400lb chassis is definitely more of a problem than helpful.

Aren't we always told in drivers meetings that we are essentially a show, with a competitive nature (who is putting on the better show).... to me the 800hp dumping smoke clouds large enough to close airports is more show than 2 guys, 20 mph slower, 1/4 the smoke, that are closer together. Just my thoughts.

/edit

I think the idea of close tandem is no doubt awesome. and its getting better as more money comes into the sport along with more talented drivers. i just think this tire rule is trying to force it, and it makes it like artificial close tandem. just give it a little longer and we will have it without restriction i think.
                Last edited by boxmod; 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

the poll was added last night

Comment

I think a lot of them will be V8. I voted 80%

Comment

Essa's new car is a 6-banger turbo
                      Foust's new car is a 4-banger turbo (to join Gushi's 4-banger)
                      Aasbo still has the 2JZ, Millen is still V6 Turbo to my knowledge
                      I'd expect Verdier to remain 4-banger if he's still in the Subaru
                      Mordaunt would be the only VQ-powered Z if he had the same powerplant as last year

.... but yea, outside of those guys, majority of the big cars will be V8. Forsberg's car is probably going to have the same CORR motor as last year, I'm sure Tuerck is staying with the V8, we know all of Falken is V8 (minus Aasbo if he has a deal with them), half of last year's Nitto lineup will be V8 (Tanaka Vette / Matt Powers V8 while Essa is Turbo 6 and Bergenholtz is still rotary), Hubinette will be a V8 if he's in the challenger (the viper will be a V10 but probably not Sam driving)...

looking at how the top 25 drivers from last year's final standings ended, the only question marks are the ones without deals:
                      http://www.formulad.com/standings/2010.php

Miki ended the season in a V8, but not sure if he'll be back behind the wheel of the Lexus
                      I haven't heard any news about James Deane, he'd be one of the only 4-banger S-chassis cars if he did make a return in the same car
                      If Mad Mike was back, i'd expect him w/ a rotary

Comment

Also Gush still has the 4banger.

I don't know why everyone thinks they have to go v8 now, Gardella and RMR's kappa cars were more than competitive with the ecotec.

If I had the $ I'd build an Ecotec car just to do it, I'm excited to see how Tanner's new car works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
                          Also Gush still has the 4banger.

I don't know why everyone thinks they have to go v8 now, Gardella and RMR's kappa cars were more than competitive with the ecotec.

If I had the $ I'd build an Ecotec car just to do it, I'm excited to see how Tanner's new car works.
                          I agree. Especially since there's essentially a "cookbook" from GM on how to build a 300 / 500 / 700 hp motor, and outside of the transmission / cage / suspension arms, you can buy anything you need for the car from a GM dealer.

I'm shocked we don't see more solstices / solstiii / solst-whatevers at the grass roots level, especially since you can find them for 3k to 4k on the used market

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                            I agree. Especially since there's essentially a "cookbook" from GM on how to build a 300 / 500 / 700 hp motor, and outside of the transmission / cage / suspension arms, you can buy anything you need for the car from a GM dealer.

I'm shocked we don't see more solstices / solstiii / solst-whatevers at the grass roots level, especially since you can find them for 3k to 4k on the used market
                            Because they are ugly nobody cares about a 2 seater even if I did rip the backseat out of my 240sx

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post
                              8 to me the 800hp dumping smoke clouds large enough to close airports is more show than 2 guys, 20 mph slower, 1/4 the smoke, that are closer together. Just my thoughts.
                              This is absurd. I'd gladly sacrifice smoke and speed if it meant more angle and closer tandems. Have you seen some of the Japanese rained out events?
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW4PBFLEE08

Comment

Working...
                              X