No announcement yet.

drift an automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got video of me drifting a completely stock automatic Camaro. It will be released soon. There was already a thread on Auto drifting, you can see it here:

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...ight=Automatic

The Camaro I used to drift (red one) and the one I'm drifting now (green one) are both Automatics. But the next Camaro (black one) will be manual. Revlimits Camaro (used to be white, now it will be orange) used to be auto, but since then he's swapped in a 6 speed manual and he's really happy with it.

There's actually a few things you can do to make Auto drifting better. Installing a manual valve body will eliminate computer controlled shifting. This will give you complete control over what gear you are in. You can also upgrade the internal clutches to race clutches (this is what Revlimit did when he was Auto) they will hold longer, and a shift kit with stiffer springs will make the car shift harder. Auto's also have torque converters which effectively multiply torque. This can help you simulate a clutch kick (if timed properly) and can make for some interesting fun. Manual will always be better because you can clutch kick whenever you want, but Auto is still driftable and I dont see anything wrong with it.

Comment

naaa i dont have any vids on me doing auto dori cus u have to drive and see the legend for yourself ahah

Comment

what about me? tech me thus auto-dori ways have you send my 180's?

Comment

Yeah that thread has my first post on it. It was in response to something crazyhawaiian posted.

Unfortionately no one makes any upgraded auto anything when it comes to imported cars. Deffenately an advantage the american cars have over the imported cars when it comes to automatic drifting.

But it is deffenately possible. with out touching the handbrake too boot! dispite what naysayers may well say.

To answer steve's question about foot brake techniques, When i first tried it i started out at like 75 miles an hour and brakes HARD infact i was pumping it because i was braking at the limit of traction. then at about 45 miles an hour i turned it and the rear slid out first i counter steered, drifted, stopped the car, got out and realized what i just did.. My first none handbrake drift. After a few weeks of practicing i got it down to where, at least to me it felt like at about 65-70 miles an hour i could just tap the brake (in acuality im pumping it very fast and very controlled) for just a split second then turn in and initiate the drift at around 60. I have a nice wide safe turn to practice this on, because i spun a few times at those speeds when i was still working on it.

I felt like i could easily control the angle and line with the wheel when braking this way. Unlike with just the handbrake.

I am very proud of my new technique. You should give it a try too steve.

Comment

good stuff guys. thanks much for so much useful informations......looking for the right RWD vehicle was harder than i thought. while totally capable of using a 5speed, i thought it would be easier for me to learn how to drift first by using an automatic. anyway, i hope i can get a 240 asap so i can learn how to drift.

Comment

next time it rains i'll go out in the previa and show you automatic boys how it's really done!

Comment

dori auto is much harder.....its easy to do but its hard to do...if that makes sence....

Comment

whoa

i just started reading the threads after i became a member, there is all this terminology, and i was like wtf?, but i started getting it (kinda), but i got an accord auto, i don't drift it b/c it might just go to pieces but i did have monte carlo ss that i did an insane drift in on accident (bumpy road + sharp turn = instantly scary drift[especially for dude riding with me]) but drifting in an auto, though possible, isn't 2 smart, especially because the clutch will be really getting worked on, the axle and joints will be getting treated like red headed step children, and it might drive home, the next day you'll be like ,''man my car's drivin funny''
                  but that's only if you are like me and really put cars through it

Comment

thats why we buy mods

famous quote: drifting hurts

Comment

Those of us with Automatic S13s, i think theres a few of us, Who drift them on a regular basis havent really experienced any problems doing it. Drifting is hard on any vehichle. But not specificly more so on an automatic.

It also depends on how your drifting.

Comment

automatics dont have clutches... they have torque converters

Comment

i spent about one grand on fixing a leak in the trans....umm then there was also the pinion and steering problem....

future fixes: new bushings....struts tower...sways... planning on getting some battle version control arm,tie rod, the works....

for the auto drifters...maintain ur car....listen to how it runs and the gear shifting....i usually like once every month or less i check my oil, tire pressure, all fluids...make sure ur power steering fluid is good cus i think us auto peeps turn the wheel harder then most manual due to breaking the tires loose... make sure ur bushings look ok... also always make sure ur alignment is perfect... basic stuff but its soo worth it on the long run.... you also need more power then ur stock engine since its a hard problem trying to get ur car tail happy....

Comment

Actually Auto's do have clutches, but very different from the clutch you see in a manual. Inside the Automatic tranny are a bunch of smaller clutches that do all the work. From under the car you wont see this (its inside the transmission). When you're auto looses a gear or shifts bad/slow (slips) thats a problem with those internal clutches. Drifting with an auto is very very hard on the tranny and it will eventually break, but like others have said, its the same way with a manual. I mean none of these manual transmissions were designed to be clutch kicked at high RPM's. I already broke the tranny in my green Camaro, but got another one sitting on the side ready to go in.

Comment

ah crap fine... but what about the torque converters?

Comment

Hey every1!

This is my 1st post here.
                                Anyways I was wondering if you could drift an automatic FWD car?
                                its a 2002 Toyota Corolla with slight upgrades. OR
                                A manual (5 spd) FWD Corolla.

I have to use either of the Corollas which are my parents b/c my 240 is in the shop right now after a nasty accident.

This might be a dumb question but Im an alcoholic.

Comment

Working...
                                X