(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Long Beach 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) FORMULA D Long Beach 2012

Please post your feedback on this thread.

my personal opinion is that if Daigo got a OMT with Yoshihara that he might have won! The action was awesome! on friday the stream had problems when the audio all of a sudden went low but on Saturday I experienced no problems! I'm glad there was a lot of close tandems!

Comment

Great event, Some questionable if not down right crooked judges calls. The stream was awesome until some nucklehead pointed the camera in the wrong direction for the finals.

Originally posted by Jonny Fonseca View Post
      my personal opinion is that if Daigo got a OMT with Yoshihara that he might have won! The action was awesome! on friday the stream had problems when the audio all of a sudden went low but on Saturday I experienced no problems! I'm glad there was a lot of close tandems!
      From watching the practice runs with Daigo and JTP, he was on that mustang like white on rice. That is the level of tandem we need to be seeing at least 50% of the time instead of rarely ever. Daigo Saito consistently initiated and transitioned at the exact time as the lead driver all while keeping within a half car distance.

And as usual the second outside clip in front of the judges stand was pointless bs that detracted from cars chasing the apex and running super tight. Thanks FD.
      Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I agree with all of the above!!

Also in the battle between Daigo and Dai I felt the outcome was BS!! Both Daigo and Dai had the same issues with shallowing up.....Daigo shallow into second clip chasing.....Dai into first clip chasing....Should have been a one more time!!!

But of course FD wouldn't want their champion to be served up by a D1 champ in his first round ever on a course he had never driven before this event!!!

All in all if Daigo can serve up fools on a track that most of the driver's have driven on for the last 6 years and get a podium that speaks volumes about his skill!!

But then again we already knew that....

FD pulled a robbery...Hopefully they don't pull the same shenanigans they did with Takatori when he was giving the boys a run for their money. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by stedriftward View Post
          I agree with all of the above!!

Also in the battle between Daigo and Dai I felt the outcome was BS!! Both Daigo and Dai had the same issues with shallowing up.....Daigo shallow into second clip chasing.....Dai into first clip chasing....Should have been a one more time!!!

But of course FD wouldn't want their champion to be served up by a D1 champ in his first round ever on a course he had never driven before this event!!!

All in all if Daigo can serve up fools on a track that most of the driver's have driven on for the last 6 years and get a podium that speaks volumes about his skill!!

But then again we already knew that....

FD pulled a robbery...Hopefully they don't pull the same shenanigans they did with Takatori when he was giving the boys a run for their money. Time will tell.
          In a brand new untested chassis. I bet they ban NOS before it's all said and done. Can't have 6 cylinder turbos showing out V8s in the smoke and speed department.

Comment

Quite a few questionable calls, and the driftstream needs a bit of work still in regards to technical issues.

Just to name a few, definitely thought at least a OMT should've been called for Daigo vs Dai, Aasbo vs Dai, and maybe Kado vs McQuarrie (amongst others)

With all the crashes, it definitely makes me wonder what a few of the guys will be driving for the rest of the season, since at least 2 of them totalled their cars. I know Robbie Nishida has the SC300 in the works, so hopefully he finishes that up by the next round. DMac, no clue what he'll be driving next, maybe Tyler McQuarrie's old 350z?

I think half the problem of poor tandems in Formula D is that everyone is afraid to make contact because of the rules, whereas D1 allows contact to a minimal degree, which is maybe why they have such close runs. I feel like that was sort of what might have been holding Daigo back in his runs.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but other than those things, awesome first round.

Comment

DISCLAIMER: I am speaking as a member of the media/press so my POV of the event is not going to be the same as a paying spectator.

This was probably the best Long Beach event since Formula Drift came to Long Beach.

The repaved surface showed that there are many drivers who are a lot better than once thought. I saw some of the sickest lines ever from some of the priviteers.

How about Ryan Kado?! That guy was killing it the whole time.

The half-time show was great and that needs to keep happening. Professional drifting needs something like that for the hardcore fans and also to help aclaimate new fans. It was good stuff.

The Slammed Society showcase was better this year than the last and the skate demo was cool.

I know I said this last year but I am happy the grandstands over across the bridge finally got a screen to watch!

Parking was reasonable and that bridge thing that was built to go over the thru-way for the cars was a good move.

The only negative thing I have to say about the event is that there should have be more food vendors.

There was a lot of downtime but that was because people crashed or broke, not really much that could be done there. The same thing happened during qualifying.

The only suggestion I will make is that I think Formula Drift should keep the entire set up used by Scion for the "First 86" crowd and use it as a "VIP Ticket" area for future events.

Comment

Best Long Beach event ever!!

I brought a coworker to the event who had never watched a drifting event live before (only on TV)... he was blown away and had a blast.

The new surface was great! Tons more smoke and traction, lots more speed too. The old pavement around the hairpin was very tricky and caused some drivers to spin due to the difference in traction, but it really separated the men from the boys.

Re-routing the return 'chute' around the outside of the track was the best idea FD has had yet. MUCH more efficient overall!

I heard somewhere that FD denied more than 150 media passes. There was still an overwhelming amount of media, but it was easier to navigate than before.

In the weeks ramping up to the event, I wasn't very excited about the season due to the lack of new cars and exciting updates. Watching some of the tandem rounds reminded me why I love the sport so much, and has me counting down the days until Atlanta! This is surely going to be the best season to date!!!!!

Comment

Ryan Tuerck vs Matt Powers is another one I didn't understand why it didn't go OMT.

Comment

http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/b/314282785

Odi was robbed.

The guy at the starting line looked at both drivers to signal him that they were ready, then he started the tree lights. false start!?!
                    Why didn't Gushi go at green?
                    Ken was driving really good, but this easily should have been Odi's match with that initiation and angle. OMT at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Lifer View Post

Odi was robbed.

The guy at the starting line looked at both drivers to signal him that they were ready, then he started the tree lights. false start!?!
                      Ken was driving really good, but this easily should have been Odi's match with that initiation and angle. OMT at least.
                      Even without the false start, Odi had a way better lead run than Gushi. The judges just can't make up their minds. Do they want the chase car to run the same line as the lead, drop shallow so they stay close or just be on a big sponsor team?
                      Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-08-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

great event, but definitely need more food vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lifer View Post

Odi was robbed.

I would say that Gushi had 2 better runs overall. The big emphasis in the drivers meeting was on going from wall-to-wall under the bridge and right under the judges stand. Odi had a great lead run, but he was very shallow off of all 3 walls (wall before the bridge after the first turn, wall in front of santa, and wall in front of the judges) on his chase run and very shallow on his angle especially in front of the judges and grandstand 18. Gushi was much closer to the walls on his chase run than Odi was when chasing, and Odi took too long to catch up to Gushi despite running shallow line and shallow angle. Seems pretty clear to me.

PS - I do think that Odi drove his heart out all weekend, and he had some amazing runs! I have no stake in either driver (neither is on my fantasy team, HA!) but I think Gushi won this one pretty clearly.

Comment

Great event!

You've got the demand, supply more seats!

I think the fact that you were turning people away at the gates is a testament to how rad this event was. Can't wait for Atlanta! BroParty2012 rount II!

Comment

It was a good event.

Didn't like J-Rod's announcing, seems like he gets worse and worse every year. Announcing the wave right before cars left the line to drift(JTP vs Matt Powers). Lots of people got excited to do the wave. It's really lame, came here to watch drifting. He should have done it during one of the 5 min rule.
                              There were too many plugins(ads) Look who's here... Let me introduce you to... He's better as a hype man not an announcer, he should be an announcer's sidekick!
                              I did like how Brian Eggert explained his judging he was pretty much was right on! He's a good addition!

Some of the judging could have been better.
                              Ken Gushi was let in to the great 8. He wasn't pushing his car to the limit. He was missing angle and he was shallow. I like the FR-S, but he was babying it. They should have a spare FR-S for him just in case.
                              In Daigo vs. Dai, Daigo should have won or at least OMT. Daigo was tearing it up!

definitely need more food vendors.
                              +1
                              supply more seats!
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X