X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he seemed to be much more successful in the supra, especially at Abu Dhabi

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post

Thanks man! I really appreciate it coming from you. I was actually joking with some of the FD staff about how you should come be a guest on the show sometime. haha! Did you happen to catch either the top 32 practice on Friday night or the afternoon practice on Saturday? I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the commentary we were doing.
      I caught the Saturday practice with you and Tony B. Good job for the both of you guys, once you get the cadence and add a little bit of your own flair you'll be set. Once again I think FD is heading in the right direction with you on board. More Slapshot FD!!!!

Can anyone explain why Yoshioka is struggling so much with the RS-R s15?
      He's sitting in 11th place right now and gotten top 16s at both rounds... I dont think hes doing too bad. I don't like that motor combo though, would have went with some sort of Straight 6 turbo with nitrous. Only one team has gotten that motor to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lifer View Post
        Did no one else hear Aasbo say he is bringing back the Supra! I think he slipped by confirming that during the halftime show! That Supra and Aasbo is going to change things up this year!
        i think he's gonna compete in the World Drift Series in China with the Supra. I think.....

Comment

I think the judging tower should have been on the opposite side of the top turn, Daigo's smoke was masking a lot of the following drivers mistakes from the judges.

Also, I still feel like there should be more emphasis on style.

Ex. Robbie vs Aasbo.

Robbie clearly has more angle. A lead car running more angle on a track like Atlanta allows the following car to easily follow if they aren't matching angles. I think that should take into an account.
          Last edited by vvtisupra; 05-15-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vvtisupra View Post
            I think the judging tower should have been on the opposite side of the top turn, Daigo's smoke was masking a lot of the following drivers mistakes from the judges.

Also, I still feel like there should be more emphasis on style.

Ex. Robbie vs Aasbo.

Robbie clearly has more angle. A lead car running more angle on a track like Atlanta allows the following car to easily follow if they aren't matching angles. I think that should take into an account.
            Good points. Maybe if the judges would quantify the value of speed, angle, line, proximity and throttle control during tandem there would be more consistent calls. The fact is they just wing it.

If I were judging, JRs awesome chase proximity against Daigo would have been enough for a OMT dispite the spin to encourage and reward that style of driving.

Once again JTP was ultra consistent and had a faster lead pace than everyone else and won. If JTP is so much faster than everyone else, why is he chasing from half a car length back instead of putting pressure like JR? Because he knows he can score advantages from opening a gap during the lead run and not take risks during the chase. Utterly boring this drift racing is becoming.

Solution? Score the other aspects of drifting equally to speed. Hell, speed only counts for 10 points in qualifying, why so much in tandem? Because the judges are lazy and proximity is the easiest to notice.
            Last edited by my 1 88 u; 05-15-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I'm confused, I watched Qualifying on the Drift stream Friday and I'm completely baffled as to how they score. Style was out of 40, line was out of 25, angle was out of 25 and speed 10.
              Line: was there anyone actually judging line? nearly everyone got between 20 and 25, I watched some cars running shallow all around the keyhole and still scoring a 20??
              There is now one judge who can give a competitor 40% of their score, the style judge. What is style? speed, angle, smoke, I assume he can take the competitors speed through the course into account, Angle, well there is already someone scoring angle so he shouldn't take angle into account. Line wouldn't be a big factor in style, but seeing as there is someone already scoring on line, that's out. So that leaves smoke! So now it seems to me 40% of your qualifying is all about....perceived speed and smoke! I dont know about speed, they want big angle and lots of smoke, so that doesn't usually equate into speed, no you'd be better off sacrificing some speed to get the angle and smoke.
              Confused? I am.
              And... Line is not subjective, you are either on the correct line or your not, speed is not subjective, you either make the target speed or not.
              Angle can be a little subjective....
              Style is very subjective....
              Someone mentioned they thought the new layout was more technical, its only more technical if the judges choose to score on the technical aspects of the run. I dont believe the technical aspects of the qualifying runs were scored, It looked to me it was all about style.
              There's two ways of looking at this, from the casual spectator, Loads of smoke looks great, so style based judging criteria works well for them.
              But for the competitor and their followers, style based criteria sucks as it all comes down to the judges personal opinion, he either likes the run or not.
              I also believe that style based criteria affects tandem battles, if not running the qualifying line is left unpunished in qualifying and competitors are being allowed to run different lines. Then when chasing a competitor is not too keen to stick his nose in beside the car in front as he is unsure what line he will take through the course.

Comment

I did not get to watch the livestream on Saturday but hearing all this controversy about the juding makes me wish I did!

There some drivers (like tyler) who were outwardly expressing their frustration with juding during qualifying. Although I did not see that type of thing as much during competition.

One of these days I really need to make it out to Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by Eurodriftr View Post
                  I'm confused, I watched Qualifying on the Drift stream Friday and I'm completely baffled as to how they score. Style was out of 40, line was out of 25, angle was out of 25 and speed 10.
                  Line: was there anyone actually judging line? nearly everyone got between 20 and 25, I watched some cars running shallow all around the keyhole and still scoring a 20??
                  There is now one judge who can give a competitor 40% of their score, the style judge. What is style? speed, angle, smoke, I assume he can take the competitors speed through the course into account, Angle, well there is already someone scoring angle so he shouldn't take angle into account. Line wouldn't be a big factor in style, but seeing as there is someone already scoring on line, that's out. So that leaves smoke! So now it seems to me 40% of your qualifying is all about....perceived speed and smoke! I dont know about speed, they want big angle and lots of smoke, so that doesn't usually equate into speed, no you'd be better off sacrificing some speed to get the angle and smoke.
                  Confused? I am.
                  And... Line is not subjective, you are either on the correct line or your not, speed is not subjective, you either make the target speed or not.
                  Angle can be a little subjective....
                  Style is very subjective....
                  Someone mentioned they thought the new layout was more technical, its only more technical if the judges choose to score on the technical aspects of the run. I dont believe the technical aspects of the qualifying runs were scored, It looked to me it was all about style.
                  There's two ways of looking at this, from the casual spectator, Loads of smoke looks great, so style based judging criteria works well for them.
                  But for the competitor and their followers, style based criteria sucks as it all comes down to the judges personal opinion, he either likes the run or not.
                  I also believe that style based criteria affects tandem battles, if not running the qualifying line is left unpunished in qualifying and competitors are being allowed to run different lines. Then when chasing a competitor is not too keen to stick his nose in beside the car in front as he is unsure what line he will take through the course.
                  The stupidest thing I've every heard of or seen in a drift event was the qualifying speed score of 10 points. They had a speed gun at the cones before the horseshoe and the drivers had to pass it going above 35mph. 34.9mph gets 0, 35mph-1,000,000mph gets 10 points. Forget the speed at the corner 1 or any other point of the track, the speed trap before the horseshoe is all that friggin matters.

And then the f@#$ing speed gun brakes in the middle of qualify and lunacy ensues.

F#$% Formula Drift for being the only show in town, seriously F@#$ you!

http://www.twitch.tv/driftstream/b/317992202
                  And doesn't this violate some dynamic wing rule or something? How does Tony Angelo go off course, lose drift, flap his rear hatch up and still take the win?
                  Last edited by my 1 88 u; 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post

http://www.twitch.tv/driftstream/b/317992202
                    And doesn't this violate some dynamic wing rule or something? How does Tony Angelo go off course, lose drift, flap his rear hatch up and still take the win?
                    OMT... all day all night in my eyes.

I'm gonna say this, and don't take it the wrong way FD supporters. But its been a while and the whole system needs a real overall. If parts on the motor keep failing don't replace just whats broken, totally rebuild the sucker with new parts.

Lose Andy Yen: Dude has been on the judging panel for too long and he is starting to make mistakes and I personally think the job has gotten to his head. That whole smoking indecent should have been a automatic pink slip.

Lose Ryan Canadian: He just cant cut it, I've seem him pick wrong calls on some of the most obvious decisions from time to time. Its like sending a beer drinker to judge a wine contest.

Keep Brian Eggert: I agreed with 95% of his calls at LBC. Lets get him back on the right track before the other judges rub off too much on him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hire Calvin Wan: Legit guy who knows mountain loads about drifting. And has a very detailed race vocabulary (can explain things in proper race terms). Drove in the glory days of FD, D1, D1SL.... RHD LHD, good car crappy car, nice track crappy track, good weekend crappy weekend,

Hire Hiro Sumida: Same exact resume as Calvin Wan minus the book he wrote. But he has some sort of computer degree which means he's smart and can probably sort out a broken Speedometer rather quickly.

And give those guys full creative control over competition regulation along with some SPACE!! I wouldn't want to be judging while the owner of the company is breathing down my back and the announcer screaming in my ear. Separate the towers for goodness sake.
                    Last edited by Bebop; 05-15-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                      The stupidest thing I've every heard of or seen in a drift event was the qualifying speed score of 10 points. They had a speed gun at the cones before the horseshoe and the drivers had to pass it going above 35mph. 34.9mph gets 0, 35mph-1,000,000mph gets 10 points. Forget the speed at the corner 1 or any other point of the track, the speed trap before the horseshoe is all that friggin matters.
                      I agree completely, but I think speed is important to the overall show, but its daft having a situation where 34.9mph gets 0, 35mph gets 10 points. It should be all about "Risk and reward" if a competitor is willing to risk a higher speed transition or wall rub the he should be rewarded for it, 1 point per MPH above the target speed and -1 point below.
                      I still dont see the benefit of separating out the Judging, 1 for line, 1 for angle and 1 for style, in more traditional forms of Judging each judge takes into account Line, angle and speed, (the human brain is more than capable of doing all)
                      The advantage of the traditional system is that all three scores are averaged, this waters down the bad call a Judge may make from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                      X