New MazdaSpeed Miata Turbo!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MazdaSpeed Miata Turbo!!!

That's right a factory turbo Miata. According to Feb 2k4 Motor Trend, Mazda's bringin a 178 hp Miata to our shores. Here's the specs.

Engine: 1.8L Twincam Turbo w/air-to-air intercooler
    178hp@6000 rpm, 166lb-ft@4500rpm, shorter springs with increased rate, tuned Bilstein shocks, larger front and rear sway bars, Bosch Torque-Sensing Differential, and Toyo Proxes tires on 17" Racing Hart Wheels. And it's dead sexy.

I've liked the little guy since it came out, only natural since I'm a Ford guy. This thing looks really sweet, but I wonder 2 things:
    1. Is it actually gonna be affordable?
    2. Why didn't Mazda put in the 2.0L Zetec from the SVT Focus. It's toquey and makes 185hp w/o the turbo. Mazda makes some great little cars but low on power. But the Focus gets the powerful engines. Go figure.

Yeah the miata has always been low on power. But you notice most of the upgrades are suspension upgrades, with alittle power boost too. Very much like the mazda speed protege.

Personally i'd like to see a factory Rotary Miata...

but a turbo 2 liter would be pretty awesome.

Comment

you could meet or beat 200 hp if you end up de-catting this car..I can see it now, 200+ on 4-500 bucks worth of mods

Comment

Ford should lend the Miata some 2.0L power in the form of the SVT Focus and European Focus RS Zetecs. Then you'd have a base 170 hp N/A miata, and a 215 hp turbo MazdaSpeed version. Then Ford/Mazda would have a great little roadster to compete with the upcoming Solstice/Vauxhaull Lightning worldwide.

Comment

1. This couldnt be older news. (well, could but it has been discussed on this forum already)
          2. Mazda and Ford dont mix. Otherwise we wouldnt have gotten the RENESIS.
          3. Im with nissanguy, Id like to see a rotary miata offered to the general public. It wouldnt even have to be the 787b.

Comment

the new turbo miata is the shite.

Comment

Yeah I know Ford can be a pain sometimes, they screwed Aston Martin out of a possible Lemans win and I know they don't like the rotary. But it just sux that Ford has the good engines and Mazda has the good cars. I mean why are the 2 companies even together if they don't get along?

Comment

Lol look at the "cute" intercooler, looks like a bucktooth
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah and with the 2.0L 170hp Zetec it wouldn't be there But it's a small price to pay for a factory turbo on a car that's been long overdue for a power increase. And the new makover is very handsome.

Comment

also its only pushing around 7 PSI. though im sure the intercooler/fuel system/turbo isnt designed for 30 psi or anything, Im sure 15 psi is very possible, meaning even more power on tap. Then upgrade the exhaust.. we know turbos love those. ANd you get one very quick car.

Comment

Awesome car, but that small FMIC makes the car look like a kid that just got his two front teeth, but i would still rock it.

Comment

lol, it's like a bright red chipmunk

Comment

Originally posted by kaneda
                          lol, it's like a bright red chipmunk
                          lol!

Comment

But it's a fast chipmunk

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami
                              I mean why are the 2 companies even together if they don't get along?
                              mazda and ford rnt together by choise, ford bought a chunk of mazda when mazda was on the rocks. mazda naturally accepted fords offer so they wouldnt go under

Comment

Working...
                              X