No announcement yet.

HAWAII vs SO CAL DRIFT BATTLE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey i am going to hawaii in a couple months to live there...all you guys from there should keep in touch...we can discuss the whole "SoCal-Hawaii" concept. but i have to warn you...I am by no means a good drifter and dont in any way claim to be one. I jus want to get a drift car first! the only drift experience i have is my tacoma getting slideways on dirt trails. I have seen the best that socal has to offer...now i will see hawaii and compare the two.

Comment

I would LOVE to go to the driftsession someday. Get a Mustang GT from Hertz and spend the entire day learning. It wouldn't be pretty but it'd be a blast. Alas a man can dream..............

Comment

It sounds like some of the hawaii-based guys have something to prove.

Thats perfectly fine though.

Its unfortionately due to the geography that its not just a simple mater of driving down.

If i ever make it big or get sponsored or something you can bet i will be doing whatever i can to get a chance to come out there drive with you guys, its just not a easy thing to do.

But i dont know about you guys, i never thought the californian guys where the 'best' i know we have some skilled guys, but its a big state and theres alot of guys into it.. But i always figured the most skilled were the guys in it the most. And that seems to depend on how close you are to Japan. and obviously hawaii is alot closer then california.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftday
          [B]Here is my opinion....

I don't think most (I stress most) of the mainland drivers believe they are the best.
          I only remember one instance of a "mainland" driver talking all highly of himself (and of the cali drivers) and giving a whole lot of critizm about hawaii. And this driver DID compete in hawaii, and did terrible.

Hey SHIMOS, stop busting a Fi......!

Comment

Hey matto, sell me 2 of your watanabes....

Comment

fi**** lol

Comment

Originally posted by borodori
                Hey matto, sell me 2 of your watanabes....
                ill be selling a set (4) in a few weeks, w/ tires i think its gonna be around $600 or so, i duno, we will see.

Comment

ahah we got jasper on our side the only teams that will get close im guessing is team murder and alex.... gotta rep mah socal

Comment

Originally posted by S13_Steve
                    ahah we got jasper on our side the only teams that will get close im guessing is team murder and alex.... gotta rep mah socal
                    Team Murder as a group or Team Murder as in Ross Petty?

Comment

honestly...

if someone on the US mainland or Hawaiian islands did think they were "the best," I still see us as having a wide gap to overcome before we can even hope to compete with the drivers in D1. Granted they've had YEARS to accomplish this however, I don't know how long it will take to have one of our own at that level. Rhys Millen seems to have the biggest head start and even he's having trouble, but it seems like he's trying to tread unexplored territory (much like the people using domestic iron) and is having trouble getting a feel for it. Also I don't know to what level Rhys is specifically training outside of his Rally career for D1.

There is a TON influencing the drift scene...and I don't know what kind of competition we'll have in a year. I do know though, that at some point we may see hawaiians being brought over for D1 events, if Option really sees you guys performing and wants you to get in on a piece of the action, or sponsors see you guys peforming and would like to see their product noticed.

Either way, getting back to the initial point, if anyone has anything to say about who's best or what not, I do believe first someone needs to be at the level of true drifters from japan before comparing themselves to others around, no? After all, for those pursuing to be the best, you have to perform as good as the best. Right now that's Japan, not the US. Not yet at least. There's an AMAZING growth of talent and a spring of energy from the entire import scene much like the initial boom in the early 90s, and now that the media is catching on, keep an eye on this. Everyone from Grassroots, to SCCA, to driving schools, to the Wall Street journal is taking a hard look at drifting as a very valuable (and for better/worse, exploitable) market.
                      Last edited by PearlBlueSoul; 03-27-2004, 10:41 PM.

Comment

anyone wanna sponser me to the mainland?? i dont really have anything to prove , but i just wanna try drive some different tracks...

i think theres only a very small few mainland drivers that actually have that "im the $#!t" attitude. like they can actually beat some of the d1 guys...

Comment

Wow, that was a lot of reading................... kinda forgot everything that was said by now but I don't know if cali. or hawaii is better and it would be fun to show each other what we got....it would be like one of those celebrity dance offs in a club or something...but with cars...and no music or alcohol...or hot chicks....or nm....
                          Hey matto, i heard about your sponsorships....how'd you do it?!?!?! Also, do you still have my stock drivers seat? This is Andrew by the way...blue 240....haven't seen you at DS for a while.

Comment

Working...
                          X