ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Drifting heading the wrong direction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghost said it best, ill just add the view of a Policeman.

Me personally im tryin to educate the people in my department on the differences between street racers and drifters. Its going to be a long process but im trying.

See you have to remeber, when drag racing started out, it was *dangerous* and it still is! What we do is the same! It will still be dangerous 50 yrs from now. People who dont do it will never know the connection. It will always be labeled. Yeah theres guys trying it out there on the street (I am guilty of this too) But thats how it will always be. I mean just cause drifting is new, it doesnt mean theres nobody left drag racing. This is a inevitable thing. People will do what they want regardless of the law... trust me on this. Its just human nature. I mean theres nothing you can do to change people. The only thing you can do, is not be a jacka$$ and make our image worse.

Drifting is going the wrong way..... how do you make it go somewhere else? Its not a steering wheel you can turn. Drifting is a person's connection with their car, for some people its enuff to just drive. Us its the feeling of making the car a part of us. Drifting isnt going to blink out of existence because "its going the wrong way" Its something people like doing, and they will continue to do so no matter what the law or people say.

Comment

I dont bash on their skill, just their bad style. But i do think Rhys is making leaps and bounds in terms of his technique

Comment

Remember... Samuel hasn't had much track time in the Viper. Rhys is getting more and more track time in the GTO and his technique is improving. Give it time. Most of the drivers we have for Jasper just jump into the Supra for the first time with 0 track time. These drivers don't have s13's or fc's or ae86's for personal cars... they have BMW's and the such... bastards! heheheh. :P

Comment

I think a lot of the American drivers are boring. Not just in their drift, but their personality is really lacking. I mean I like guys crazy guys like Nomura Ken or even some of the Team Murder guys because they have the right roots. I think D1 is a big cause of problems in the way drifting is growing in America. The guys that have the roots aren't the ones getting sponsored by huge companies but rather racers like Rhys are the ones that are getting the big sponsorships because he has all the connections. That is why I like Kenshiro so much because he has the true background of a drifter. The D1 judges no what is going on and I believe that the Viper will never be a good drift car in the series because they will mark it down in points so much because it isn't a "realistic" drift car at all and neither is the GTO in comparison, its suspension has been altered so much that no kid could buy that stick some coilovers on it and do other little mods to drift it.

Seriously, why don't American car manufacturers get anything the Japanese do, it isn't all about horsepower. I think that is why everyone booed at the GTO, they will never take interest in it or the Viper. It seem to me that they put themselves in quick-sand. They aren't ever going to beat the Japanese D1 drivers and the cars don't even appeal to the American drift audience. I think the American companies like GM are going to get a rude awakening when they try to sell drift spec parts for their cars and no one buys them. I just don't see how they think they are going to make money off of this venture they started.

Comment

hey, didn't Sam drive the jasper supra in irwindale? man he rocked... my dad loved that car. also, when people told you that the Jasper supra was unfair, why did they say it was unfair? some of the cars there had i6's and as much hp as you did. take the blitz skyline for example.
            Attached Files

Comment

The only "bad" direction I see drifting go is commercialization. Plain and simple, when big business gets into the drifting scene, it'll all be over. With any history or background, they will turn this passtime into a specticle. That's when drifting at least in America will be ruined. When the big companies start to shape drifting into their own image and sell it to the public, that's when it will be ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
                The only "bad" direction I see drifting go is commercialization. Plain and simple, when big business gets into the drifting scene, it'll all be over. With any history or background, they will turn this passtime into a specticle. That's when drifting at least in America will be ruined. When the big companies start to shape drifting into their own image and sell it to the public, that's when it will be ruined.
                That basically happened right after the 1st D1

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
                  That basically happened right after the 1st D1
                  all too true... and sad

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                    USA drifting is a joke. we have some real drifters, but there are some real *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ups that are "big stars" read: viper
                    sam hubinette is one of the worst drifters i can think of. i use the word drifters very lightly. take note of that.
                    I don't see you out there driving...

Comment

Where the hell does someone get off calling Sam a bad drifter?! He, in my mind, is the best professional drifter in the US. Not to mention, he was only exceeded by about 10 the Japanese D1 competitors, who, by all acounts, represent the best of the best in drifting.

As for the Supra being unfair, that's not true at all. If it's unfair, it's to the driver, because of it's large size and weight, not unfair to the competition because of its power.

Comment

I agree with Prodigy about the types of drivers and cars the Domestic Manufacturers are sponsoring, and how the drivers roots affect their style and it dosnt really match up with the Japan style of battling for now. But I dont agree with Prodigy on the domestic scene in general. You gotta realize that the Domestics are entering the game at 1/2 time. Somebody needed to open up everyones eyes and make it known that Domestics can compete in these competitions too. Otherwise it would be almost impossible for someone from the amature ranks to pick up sponsorship and compete at the D1 level. Believe me we tried, and before Rhys and Sam came along it was a rejections every time. If the USA Manufacturers didnt get involved, it would be really hard for us amature domestic guys. Hopefully now we will get some better responses after we give it some more time. Just because a car looks different or its made someplace else does not mean it cant drift, and it does not mean it dosnt belong in drifting. Thats close minded thinking, get out of the box. Guys that like domestics and drive domestics have a right to like this sport, and they have a right to get involved too. Maybe the current drift audience was all Import guys, but thats because there were only Imports competing. If you get domestics competing too, then you'll end up with some domestic fans in the crowd too. Whats wrong with that? Now that Domestic cars are involved, Domestic parts manufacturers might start to recognize drifting as a worthwhile sponsorship and the amature domestic guys can try to compete too. It would be good to have more domestic guys out there showing people different styles of driving with more affordable older cars.

Comment

Well said Hawaiian. As for Prodigy, how do you see the Japanese judges giving lower marks to the Viper? He did win Atlanta, or did you know that? They will look at the Drifting plain and simple not the car. The only catch to that is that Alex outdrive Sam and thats that. Sam got the pass in so he won. Sam is not a bad driver at all. If he was (according to Brian) then how in the hell did he get sponsered by Dodge? I don't understand how you people can think that American companies are so stupid. I always here people whining bout how American companies are going to ruin this, that and the other. Just put a sock in it. Sure Drifting will be a spectacle but then again it IS a spectacle in itself. It makes women swoon and grown men gasp. It is an ability that the normal person does not have. So that right there makes it appealing to the masses and therefore makes companies want to get into it.

Like I said before, you are all hypocrites. If Dodge came up and offered you Sams ride. You ALL would be sitting in that seat (except those that cannot legally drive yet, so 20% of you) would be sitting in that seat. Then you would be defending big business and you would be Captain Corperation. I know I would. If Dodge or Pontiac or hell, even Daewoo offered me a car and money to Drift it, flew me to all the events and paid for everything, I would be Dr Daewoo. Laugh all you want, but i'd be getting paid to do what you want to do, in a safe environment away from the law and could break all the stuff I wanted and not have to buy it. All sponsership does is make you a better Drifter point blank. It gives you a job so you can Drift all day and all into the night. Whether it comes from Greddy or from Joes Chicken shack, it doesn't matter. It's free money.

So as much as you want to jump on the bandwagon about how Drifting is bad and going here or there, think about it. As a shop owner Jasper, you of all people here should know about this and the way it works.

Comment

im not dissing.. id drive a viper anyway. I just dont want it to end up like nascar

Comment

Trust me, I know how it works... read my posts... if you really read my posts, you will know my stand on this. My WHOLE reason for posting this topic is to see what people think. Do I think drifting is heading in the wrong direction? NO. Did you all think this WASN'T going to happen? If you didn't, you are more naive than I thought the American public was. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm not biased, this is just my thought on it. Do you want to turn on TV and see professional drifting? Then stop bitching about the so called, "corporate takeover" of the sport. You are all entitled to "bah humbug" american drifting. Lock yourselves in your room and watch Option videos all you want... Most of the people bitching I've seen aren't even old enough to drive a car! Open your minds! This is the future! Be thankful that professional drivers such as Samuel and Rhys got these big companies involved in the sport. While you all are sitting in your rooms dreaming about drifting Odaiba in some fantasy world, I will be trackside at big events here in America and drifting myself in Drift Days. Either deal with it and grow with the sport, move to Japan, or find another sport to be involved in. Ghost of Duluth is right... if Daewoo came up to me, I'd be Dr. Daewoo too!

Now, the other side... the thing that scares me are the kids who trade in their civics for 240's and start killing themselves and others drifting the streets. Get your neighborhood to host Drift Days or something of the such. Keep it legal. Fast and Furious kinda pissed me off. It glorified the dangerous side of the sport. I don't want to see kids with promising futures dying because they can't control their cars.

I love Japanese drifting, I love the style, I love the speed. Do I think it is superior to other styles, no. I want to see new styles, new techniques. Maybe the American Drifters can bring it to the table. Give it time.

I have love for even all you haters out there. I'm not really trying to tear you down, just open your eyes a little. When I started this topic, I wanted to see how the American public was leaning.
                              Last edited by STFUAD; 05-08-2004, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                                Well said Hawaiian. As for Prodigy, how do you see the Japanese judges giving lower marks to the Viper? He did win Atlanta, or did you know that? They will look at the Drifting plain and simple not the car. The only catch to that is that Alex outdrive Sam and thats that. Sam got the pass in so he won. Sam is not a bad driver at all. If he was (according to Brian) then how in the hell did he get sponsered by Dodge? I don't understand how you people can think that American companies are so stupid. I always here people whining bout how American companies are going to ruin this, that and the other. Just put a sock in it. Sure Drifting will be a spectacle but then again it IS a spectacle in itself. It makes women swoon and grown men gasp. It is an ability that the normal person does not have. So that right there makes it appealing to the masses and therefore makes companies want to get into it.

Like I said before, you are all hypocrites. If Dodge came up and offered you Sams ride. You ALL would be sitting in that seat (except those that cannot legally drive yet, so 20% of you) would be sitting in that seat. Then you would be defending big business and you would be Captain Corperation. I know I would. If Dodge or Pontiac or hell, even Daewoo offered me a car and money to Drift it, flew me to all the events and paid for everything, I would be Dr Daewoo. Laugh all you want, but i'd be getting paid to do what you want to do, in a safe environment away from the law and could break all the stuff I wanted and not have to buy it. All sponsership does is make you a better Drifter point blank. It gives you a job so you can Drift all day and all into the night. Whether it comes from Greddy or from Joes Chicken shack, it doesn't matter. It's free money.

So as much as you want to jump on the bandwagon about how Drifting is bad and going here or there, think about it. As a shop owner Jasper, you of all people here should know about this and the way it works.
                                ghost i know what your saying BUT, i am one of the ones that is scared of what a rush of commercialization could do to Drifting.......why because of what the "Industry" has done to one of my other loves and that is Hip/Hop i'm talking about true lyracist hip/hop original beat making hip/hop.....not the bling bling or lets sign the next Eminem or Nelly because they're the next niche in the game thing..........which has steered Hip/hop so far from it's bronx B-boy essence that i grew up in......i've seen what commercialization has done to music, and i would not want to see the same thing happen to Drift here, i'm still in wonder in what way overcommercialization could warp this thing........and u know what it's a scary thought, i wouldn't want this to go into the fast and pathetic type of deal feel me?

i'm all there with u about the auto makers getting into the act, i would be right there if Hyndai said we'd like to sponsor u in our Tiburon car, i'd say call me HATE_ME_NOW in Korean

Comment

Working...
                                X