No announcement yet.

Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed CH. I know people with degrees in networking and such that couldnt even explain to you what a Subnet mask was... And most the hardcore guys never had any formal education, they just started learning from way back.

These days though with the economy on the donwside and companys being cautious about hiring it seems like you need to do everything you can to get your foot in the door.

Comment

Subnet mask is a ughhhh.....you tell me lol

Comment

When i teach it to people i break it down into binary, most people dont understand what part of the ip address becomes the subnet and what part becomes the host addres when looking at "224" but seeing it in binary makes it alot easier. of course after a while you just get used to the numbers, considering theres usualy only a handful your working with.

Comment

ohh i c hey?
          i have a question. In what job can you get a lot of money without neding math much

Comment

Originally posted by nedinic
            ohh i c hey?
            i have a question. In what job can you get a lot of money without neding math much
            honestly i rarely use math when networking.. binary isnt math, its looking at numbers at least when doing that stuff.

Comment

is that good money ?

Comment

I cheat.

http://jodies.de/ipcalc

hehehe.

Comment

hawaiian what is that lol
                  its something to do in math i think lol

Comment

Its a subnet calculator that will do all the math for you. Yes I was that kid in Math class that said "Can we use calculators for our test?" hahaha

Comment

I don't think it is a very good idea to just consider if you are going to make good money without using math, when looking for your profession, i used to want to be a doctor because i was smart enough and i could make hella good money. but then i realized that i didn't even want to be a doctor. I think you should try and get into something you will enjoy doing and make that your top priority, and if you make good money then that's just awesome. but that is just my .02, and i am only 15 but i have heard this same thing from just about every adult i know.

-Peace

Comment

yea your right man iam only 16 soo not big diference

yo hawaiian hows web designing ??? is it good money ??

Comment

Anything computer related is good money. Extreme example: One of my jobs when I first started out was "Office Automation" which is just a fancy term for moving cardboard boxes around and unpacking PC's. I was getting around the 9.50/hr range. This other guys I know worked food service and did basically the same thing except he was unpacking food stuff instead of computers. We talked about pay once and I found out I was getting about 2.50/hr more than he did and we both did almost exactly the same thing. Unload and unpack boxes. So even at the physical level, computer related stuff seems to pay more then other types of work.

Web designing is good money but there is so much competition its hard to get started. I couldnt compete when I was trying to make it as a web/graphic designer, so I moved to different interests. Just depends on how creative you are I guess. Some guys just have a natural feel for web design and those are the guys you're competing against. But if you can compete with them, its good money. Thats how I bought my first car. Did a webdesign job for someone locally when I was 16, landed me $2000 cash.

Comment

sweet man
                            what is computer programing ?

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                              I get paid to be a computer geek.
                              Same here. System Admin (white colar). No leasure time. It's either im working, working on my car, entering events. Or spending time with my girl.

No "ME" time. well I guess I can call "working on my car" as a me time. But my car is a biatch! so I dont consider it as a me time ha ha

edit: (since I read all of it now) I work with mostly NT and Solaris SPARC platform. Setting up Apache, DBs and other crap that uses the platform. My main focus is Active Directory. Security design (permissions) and infrastructure. I've been a computer geek since I was 14.

Pretty good money I should say.
                              Last edited by CRASHDRIVE; 05-08-2004, 09:59 PM.

Comment

So how long until we see a Drift car with a linux pengiun or some other computer icon on it? i supose his arch nemesis would be a car with a windows logo on it. except that car would be slowed down by advertisements that jerks installed on the car with out permission (im fighting adware right now, crap is worse then viruses..)

Comment

Working...
                                X