Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm this thread is going a lot ferther than i ever expected. I don't want to be hated or anything but i still have my views on this group and feel that they still get too much attention for a group of beginner girl drifters (that wasn't meant to be a dis if anybody takes it the wrong way). Everybody has their opinions and views and this thread is merely saying the exact same argument as it had on pages 1 & 2.

I think i'll back out of this thread now.

WELCOME BENSON!!!!!!!! glad to see so many big names joining these boards.

Comment

i wanted to chime in a little here because kat's my sister.

first i wanted to say that the comment regarding matching colored springs and what not, seemed pretty obvious to me, was a joke. i mean, c'mon, they were making fun of themselves, they were going with the sterotype. not taking yourself too seriously sometimes is a healthy thing. believe me, a lot of these girls aren't that "girlie". you should hear the mouth on some of them

about sponsorships. alex and benson have made some good points but i have to ask, what sponsorships!? if kat was getting sponsorships, why is she bugging me all the time for new tires, brakes, fees!? lol, i'm the closest thing she has to a sponsor!

what drifting pretty has done for kat is enable her to focus and organize her learning. its given her the oppurtunity to go to so many driving events and get so much seat time and learn much more than she could've done on her own in such a short amount of time. nadine does such a great job organizing and setting things up for the team, the girls really benefit. if only i could get on a team so dedicated.

yeah my sister's not that great yet. but she's improving remarkably well. hate to admit it, but shes better then me, in my own car! give them time, yeah they only go to a few drifting events per month, but they're out there, safe, legal, and consistently. and who cares how good they are. i know when i go out there, i'm the william hung of drifting, but i'm out there having so much fun all the time. i'll never be a pro, never be as good as some of the top US drifters, but i don't care. i don't want to be in drifting competitions, i just want to drift (yes even badly).
      Last edited by cpv35; 05-18-2004, 05:27 PM.

Comment

i know when i go out there, i'm the william hung of drifting,
        I'm sorry, but only Benson can be William Hung because 1) he is of Canto descent, and 2) they have similar hairlines.

-alex

Comment

everyone's just jealous because the LA weekly didn't write a story on them. ha!

any press is good press since it gets more recognition for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by AllMotorKing

any press is good press since it gets more recognition for the sport.
            Just like fast and furious was good for the drag racing scene

Comment

Originally posted by mav1178
              I'm sorry, but only Benson can be William Hung because 1) he is of Canto descent, and 2) they have similar hairlines.

-alex
              Gahaha. But if that's what it takes to be in Willy's or Benson's positions, I need to hit the voice lessons and ProCuts.

I too was going to stay away from this thread. I read the article and I figured that would be all of the relevant info that came from it, but since it has gone to page 6 and has recently garnered interest by professionals, I guess Ill jump in with my 2 cents, which SMC always loves.

color matching springs, valve covers, cam gears, its going a little overboard and thats when you start to fall under the rice/show category.
              I think chris knows what he means but maybe a little more clarification should go into this just for the sake of the easily influenced that frequent this board. Notice he chose the word "show". DP, regardless of skill-level (which I can't speak of), is getting a lot of publicity and ARE sponsored(to some degree). They are and will continue to get attention(to their benefit and the pleasure of their sponsors). I would have to say, if I was in their position, that amount of spotlight, Id make those kind of decisions. Say I have a green car, Id go with teins over JICs, just to get noticed. Benson brought up that at this level(I know, but follow me for a second), it has a lot to do with marketing. Im not gunna be mad at anyone for making decisions that are right for them even if it doesn't look "pretty" to me. This was touched on in the GTO thread, many of us would have decided to drive a heavy-weight domestic in a feather-weight JDM game, given the oppurtunity to get a manufacturer sponsorship. So we have to look at this the same way. And none of you GUYS can deny that you will still be influenced by this team and that they are an effective marketing tool. You know if they got a PEPSI sponsorship (I dunno why PEPSI) and decided to add "PEPSI" two inches under their collars on their driving suits, every one of you would see it. Any of you that say you didn't read the article still stared at that picture for 5 mins, don't deny it.

So, while we may feel

that they still get too much attention for a group of beginner girl drifters
              you just have to accept and understand. Its all part of the game, like S15s with aftermarket tails in D1, like Team Orange's APC sponsorship, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mav1178

-alex
                HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

There articale in SDUT, imo, was alot better, and its a huger newspaper

Comment

Originally posted by AllMotorKing
                  Exactly.

Comment

yeah my sister's not that great yet. but she's improving remarkably well. hate to admit it, but shes better then me, in my own car! give them time, yeah they only go to a few drifting events per month, but they're out there, safe, legal, and consistently. and who cares how good they are.
                    Yeah I retract my previous statement. I saw Kat at DD16 and she's improved ALOT since Drift Day 14. I was impressed.

Comment

I think an article like this would be more important for other girls to read rather than us?

Keep in mind that girls lives are more oriented towards their feelings/perceptions about others.

I respect the fact that they are not afraid to be into something that isn't "for them" it shows self respect and individuality.

Think of it this way, there's guys out there who collect dolls for a living. People may see that as strange or noteworthy at first. Some guys who want to do it but they don't tell enyone will look up to them. After a while alot of "closet" male doll collectors will come out. If that happens they will become accepted and it'll be no big deal. Once that happens they will be judged on how nice their collection is.

Sooner or later it won't matter at all. But for now...

Get it?

BTW, http://www.goldeneradolls.com/collect.html

Comment

Yeah good point man. Just like that artical on doll collector would probably be more use to a guy who likes dolls to show its acceptable, then nessisarly to girls who collect dolls to prove guys can do it to.

The same way this artical is probably more important to girls who want to get into drifting, but dont consider it something 'girls do' then it is important to guys.

Comment

dren's 2 cents: i went to DD16 and saw kat drive. in my own opinion she was driving better than some of the other drivers. so more power to the chick drivers.

P.S.- stop bashing on the civics!!! i know many have given the civic a bad name but there are decent guys that drive decent civics

Comment

i have nothing more to say on this thread... i feel ive said enough but it just doesnt seem that anyone understand what im trying to say.

Comment

Well, ok. I'm a girl. I posted a couple comments about this earlier. When I first saw the article I was excited, thought, ok this is a good thing. As I got into it the article started to grate on me, I ended up skimming it. I think the writer did a very poor job. The article was dissapointing and did not make me feel good about female drifting in the usa. The fact that the author was female didn't help. Because this was an article about girls there were certain aspects I hoped wouldn't come up that did, which also left a sour taste in my mouth.
                              Before reading this I didn't know much about DP, only heard their names dropped here and there, so I know pretty much nothing about their skill level. I know they have to be at least 10x better than myself. My problem is solely with the writer. I think some of the negative comments are warrented and are proof to me that this writer did a poor job of portraying the team and probably women drifters in general.
                              I suppose I don't mean to be completely negative about the article. There are some good qualities too. The best thing about it is probably just mentioning that there are girls interested in drifitng in a serious fashion
                              Last edited by bdjoe; 05-20-2004, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Good Luck to DP, I appericate what your doing. Keep practicing!

Comment

Working...
                                X