ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drifting's EASY According To Christian Rado (Quotes from SPORT COMPACT CAR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Hawaiian, I understand the equipment issue between Drift, Drag, and Roadrace. Let me re phrase one of the things I said, about drifters not being able to build fast cars, not being able to build quick cars.
    Granted 600hp is alot, but the class that car would race in, they have 1400+ hp. 6.80's @ 200+

Hell there are Pro Street Tire cars faster than my car on slicks, I can accept that fact no big deal. I just want some of the one track mind guys on here to realize that Rado can help both sports at the same time. Who cares if he wins, he is bringing big dollar corporate sponsorship with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 794hpfwd
      he is bringing big dollar corporate sponsorship with him.
      Thats not nessisarly a good thing.. Now Rado says he doesnt have any big dollar sponsors behind him. But if he did that would be very messed up. Remember the tall naked black guy from kenya? what if he got a huge sponsorship deal to drag race over, lets say you.. because he runs the 100 meter fast.

Besides incase you havent noticed drifters are resistant to the idea of big dollar sponsors. Mainly because we want to keep drifting relatively grass roots. Not 100 thousand dollar tubeframe cars with painted on headlights. Lets face it, the more big dollar sponsores the closer to that you get. Theres actually alot of good threads on this subject already.

Comment

• TEXT EDITED BY MODERATION
        Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-27-2004, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nissanguy_24
          Thats not nessisarly a good thing.. Now Rado says he doesnt have any big dollar sponsors behind him. But if he did that would be very messed up. Remember the tall naked black guy from kenya? what if he got a huge sponsorship deal to drag race over, lets say you.. because he runs the 100 meter fast.

Besides incase you havent noticed drifters are resistant to the idea of big dollar sponsors. Mainly because we want to keep drifting relatively grass roots. Not 100 thousand dollar tubeframe cars with painted on headlights. Lets face it, the more big dollar sponsores the closer to that you get. Theres actually alot of good threads on this subject already.
          A...Like I said I'm not coming over to this sport with big corperate sponsors to go drifting, all my sponsors are for Drag Racing and no one is giving me a dime to do this again. Also it seems like there is now a arguement between Drag guys and Drift guys.... wait a minute don't we all drive the same kind of cars? Don't we all use similar technology to make our cars go faster, and handle better? Yes.....of course their will always be different setups for ever kind of car and every kind of racing. But to sit hear and argue back and forth about who's better or who's right is foolish too. We are all involved in this stuff because we love it regaurdless if it's drifting or dragging, or maybe even SCCA but still all here for our passion. We just need to step back a second and let someones opinion about a subject unless directly insulting you or family and let it go. It's not worth it in the long run and won't help make anyone a better person or driver. 99% of all fights or arguements are because of misunderstandings and people not taking the time to really find out what the case is.

Comment

• aaawwww man I wish I knew what he said..

I dont think any of us are takling about draggers sucking.
            Alright guys time for a group hug!! Cmon Rado your invited too!

Great, doesnt that feel bettr now?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Special_K
              aaawwww man I wish I knew what he said..

I dont think any of us are takling about draggers sucking.
              Alright guys time for a group hug!! Cmon Rado your invited too!

Great, doesnt that feel bettr now?!
              Your the best man thanks I love group hugs especially
              if there are barely dressed well tuned import models in the hug....lol

Comment

• Thread is back open... Enjoy..

Comment

• Chris why did I know you would say something like that? it must be the pimp glasses.
                  j/k

Seriously 794 we arent bashing you guys (draggers) we just saw some things that were taken out of context and now its all better.

I personally have much respect for draggers, I am very good friends with the guys from Extreme Motorsports and I have seen first hand what goes into making the cars work right on the track. We respect you guys now you need to respect us.

Comment

• ill sum up my opinion on drag like this. i could most likely take any pro drag racer in a 1200hp auto supra if they were running say a 200hp crx. i dont care how good they are my money bought me the win. now in drifting you could give me any d1 car and put a d1 driver in a mildly modded 240, hell even stock and i would get my as$ handed to me. that is all

Comment

• Personally, I don't know why some people are so defensive of drag racers crossing over to drifting? Although many of you think that you might have gotten into the "drift scene" "earlier" but that does not make it "yours" or "ours". Drifting has been around for a long time, it was just not organized. So unless you were around when they raced with wooden wheels, you, we don't own anything that justify us calling it "ours". I understand if you are against a certain individual but that's not generalize.

We are all but automotive enthusiasts that enjoy the competition of between our cars and ourselves.

David Shao

Comment

• So you are saying if I have a beer in front of me that I have bought, and I am drinking I cant call it mine unless I grew the hopps and barley and brewed it myself.

Frankley I dont care who comes out and plays in OUR sport called drifting. Oh wait its not ours its the guys in the rickshaw's with wooden wheels. doh! my bad.

Some people really need to lighten up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian
                          i really really hope dirfting dies soon.
                          please please die.
                          drifting is a huge waste of time and money.
                          Yes it is.Along with almost any form of racing...

*Look at all the publicity DRIFTING.com is getting because of this thread.. * I wonder how many message boards this will hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by dae
                            ill sum up my opinion on drag like this. i could most likely take any pro drag racer in a 1200hp auto supra if they were running say a 200hp crx. i dont care how good they are my money bought me the win. now in drifting you could give me any d1 car and put a d1 driver in a mildly modded 240, hell even stock and i would get my as$ handed to me. that is all
                            Or you'd burn 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and end up running either 14.7 at 140 or blowing up the car while the CRX rattled to a 13.4 at whatever and beat you. (200 horse crx's are rockets, espeically in drag trim. not a lot of weight to push there.)

I'm not trying to knock you, I'm just saying be realistic. It's not as easy as it looks, eh?

But neither is drifting or any other form of driving. I feel like a broken record, nissanguy and I were just talking about this lol.

Comment

• Wow, I didn’t know people actually read my column in Import Tuner! Want to hear something really weird? Don’t you find it strange that Rado’s column came out at the same time my column came out? Maybe cause we both had the same deadline and I spoke with Chris at D1. I hate to do this to you Chris but I’ve known you for a long time but things need to be said. You of all people should know that you don’t rip on something that you don’t know anything about. I don’t know if you read my column but it was all based on us talking at D1. So technically, yeah, my column was based on you. I was so pissed on how you were going about drifting and I tried to point some things out (somewhat under my breath) that you didn’t know about to point you in the right direction but you didn’t want to hear it. Maybe it was cause the MTV cameras were on but never the less I tried to warn you about things.

To start with you should understand that the drift community is just like the drag community You can either be hated or excepted. In the drag community, you were excepted and from there teams worked as family to help each other out right? Damn, I even let you borrow my tilton clutch when you were racing in palmdale. You didn’t use it but it was there if you needed it. That’s the best part about being part of the community, you have newly found friends that are willing to help you out whether it’s car parts or even just help working on the car.

Well drifting has its own community and some of the things you stated in your column just burned all bridges with making friends in this small yet growing industry. Let’s put it this way, If John Force said he was gonna compete in the pro FWD class and blow everyone away with a top fuel motor mounted sideways what would you and the rest of the import drag crowd say? “That’s ridiculous cause the car would never get traction and he doesn’t know how to build a FWD car.” Well the same thing goes with the drift community. Do you think that anyone is going to be on your side without you even attempting to get behind the wheel and trying it yet. I could tell you first hand it’s much different then doing donuts in a parking lot. Right now I could tell you a lot of stuff that will help you along the way but after reading your column I’m just gonna keep my mouth shut so you learn the hard way.

This is a sport that doesn’t require the amount of technology as a front drive drag car. Sh!4, you know me Chris, I’m a tech editor, when I started getting into drifting I wanted to apply so much unnecessary technology just so it looks cool. It’s a waste of money. Drifting doesn’t require much technology in the car but a lot of technology in the driver. You make 300 to 450 horsepower and have it last the season and call it a day. I know exactly what you want to do cause I wanted to do the same, engine datalogging, super crazy engine management, even a trying to make a tube chassis car. For now, I believe it’s all unnecessary. I could tell you think the pits look unprofessional and you are going to bring it to the next level. What you forget is the Apexi guys (my good friends Len and Jensen) came from the drag scene and if you look at the way this team is ran, you wouldn’t be able to tell if they were going to drag the FD or drift it. Hate to say it but we beat you to the punch on that one. It might not be a big rig but we do run it professionally.

Now after reading this whole thread it seems that everything is all fixed with you and the drifters but…for the record let me tell you why I wrote my column. At D1 I said, “So you jumping on the bandwagon with the rest for the drag racers starting to drift?” you stated, “Bandwagon! Sh!4! I’ve been building my truck since November. November huh, your not bandwagon cause you started building your truck in November. How is that not bandwagon? That was the start of why I wrote my column. Then you stated, “I’ll have no problem qualifying in D1. Next year I’m in!” When you told me this, I was about to flip! You totally disrespected drivers that have been drifting for years and are still not able to qualify for D1! Next, Kazama’s car drives by was on the rev limiter making all kinds of noise and you say. “Damn, this type of racing is for me. That car sounds like my old drag car when it was on the 2-step. I was the first one to use one and everyone thought I was crazy.” Now I’m even more pissed off cause a two-step has nothing to do with drifting and to top it off you weren’t the first one to use a two-step on a fwd drag car. Neither was I but I could claim that before you can cause I installed one on Dave Shih’s CRX when it was a record holding fwd. That was before you even got into drag racing!

So you see why I was so pissed when I wrote my column. Fortunately for you I calmed down when I proof read it and took you name out of the column. Now you are saying that Ella (SCC copy editor) rewrote what you originally said in your column? She’s four offices down the hallway from me, if you want me to verify that I can? I highly doubt the words got turned around that much. I hate to rip on you so hard Chris but I know how you are. For the record, you’ve always been hospitable at the track and even when we partied at your house! You are a nice guy but sometimes you talk a little too much. Saying that I will say this. I spoke to Steph about his drift car and the only thing he has ever said is, “It looks fun so I want to try it. I don’t know if I’ll be any good at it but I want to give it a try.” That was plain and simple, didn’t try to claim he would be good at it cause he can do 200-plus in his drag car, just simply stated that it looks fun and he would like to try it. No cocky attitude.

Again, I’m sorry you had to hear it this way but you can’t join the community with the attitude you presented. I just hope most of these drifters are able to give you that second chance. If we are still friends that cool, if not, I don’t blame you, I came off as a d!ck in this post.

Good day,
                              Gary Castillo

Comment

• welcome to the forums, gary. and once again, folks, there we have proof from the very people that work with him... i can't wait for rado to respond to this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X