ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drifting's EASY According To Christian Rado (Quotes from SPORT COMPACT CAR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are related, you are correct. But what I'm trying to say is that just because someone can grip roadrace does not mean they can also drift. Yes they can pick up on it the 3rd or 4th time, but never the first time like they often think. They will pick up on it faster than someone who has no racing experience, but again, not as fast as they might think. You never know exactly how the car will react under a loss of traction unless you have tried it before. You can understand all the concepts in the world, but its the truth.

Edit - Just wanted to say one thing. This is just an observation from participating in local events that involve a mix of Drifting and Wheel to Wheel Grip Roadracing. I'm not saying that drifting is "harder" or drifters are "better." Both sports require a lot of skill, but being good at one does not necessarily mean you are good at both. Like Grip Roadracing, this sport rewards practice and consistency.
    Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 05-27-2004, 04:43 AM.

Comment

• Re: Drifting's Easy According To Christian Rado

And thats why CrazyHawaiian is my hero... so you say anything thats not gold man?

Christian Rado, you may not know this guy, CH, but listen when he speaks. I have learned from the first post i made here to this one that when he says something its the truth.. usualy the very very well thought out truth.

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
      They are related, you are correct. But what I'm trying to say is that just because someone can grip roadrace does not mean they can also drift. Yes they can pick up on it the 3rd or 4th time, but never the first time like they often think. They will pick up on it faster than someone who has no racing experience, but again, not as fast as they might think. You never know exactly how the car will react under a loss of traction unless you have tried it before. You can understand all the concepts in the world, but its the truth.
      The attitude you are referring to is what upset me most in the original artical.

Originally posted by Feint

"I've been training to go drifting my entire life"

"There's no mystery to drifting,just solid techiniques;basiclly what I've been doing since high-school to showoff"[/I]
      You see this kind of stuff from people who havent drifted before all the time. Its that attitude of "theres nothing special there, i can jump right in at any point" that bugs most drifters.

Comment

• The issue with road racers understanding of drifting is like many people.

They think power oversteer and stuff.

But, if you describe drifting as Tarmac Rally, they will grasp it much, much faster.

The mid corner control, road racers are use to. Using throttle to help steer a car through corner, etc.

For me, getting into drifting was fast. The only areas where I had to work on is the initiation.

But, after couple of events, I'm using a combination of Grip/Drift to have fun at local open track events.

I don't consider that drifting, but driving my car to it's limits. Lots of high speed, low slip angle stuff.

Recently, the local open track group finally opened up a drift run group. That was a blast, to drift a 1.6 mile road course that ALMS races on.

I had an instructor (grip) ride with me so I can show them how it's done. My favorite quote is "Wow, there's actually skills involved." "Wow, you are running the racing line, while drifting."

Once they understand what goes on, it's definetly a good start. A good friend of mine, known US competition driver in Formula D started that way. I simply told him, what was expected in drifting, and he got it really fast.

With his driving experience and car control skill, it was fast.

So, if the road racers knows what judges look for, then they can get it fast.

Back to the point: Yes, Road racer =/= Drifter. Road Racer can become one. Definetly not like riding a single speed bike to a 10 speed bike.

But not that far either.
        Last edited by '97 S14 SE Turb; 05-26-2004, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian:
          Yes they can pick up on it the 3rd or 4th time, but never the first time like they often think. You never know exactly how the car will react under a loss of traction unless you have tried it before.
          He's right, nobody jumps into a car and drifts flawlessly the first time, there maybe one case in a million but i would attribute that to luck.

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb: The issue with road racers understanding of drifting is like many people. They think power oversteer and stuff. But, if you describe drifting as Tarmac Rally, they will grasp it much, much faster.
          I argee that people with racing knowledge will make good drifters in a shorter time period, but the fact remains that no one becomes skilled in drifting without time, even Tsuchiya had to practice to become the "Drift King".
          Last edited by SilviaLove; 05-27-2004, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
            rado dude, i dont know you or anything, but i think you should stick to what you do and not just jump on the bandwagon. Like you said dragging takes up alot of your time, and you shouldnt have (pro) drifting as a side hoddy. leave drifting to the people that can devote thier whole time to the sport. if you want to do it at drift days or whatever fine, but its definitely NOT good for the sport for you to get a nice sponsored drift car just beause you are famous while you cut out the spot of someone who is devoting all of his time to perfect his style. basically what i'm saying is: you are not qualified to come into the drift scene at a profesional level, and therefore you shouldnt bad mouth the d1 drivers or the drifting scene. when you are placing at D1 events, then you can tell everyone what is wrong with drifting.
            Hey Bro I still don't understand what your talking about you say I come on here and start bad mouthing drivers and drifting and yet I have never done it. All I've done is try to dispell some of the BS that has been written up here about me that isn't true. Second you say I'm not good for the sport and shouldn't get a sponsored car. That's BS too like I said I'm getting a dollar car thats all everything else that will go in to it comes from me so I don't really know what your talking about? All that was said in the column was generally the event and vibe / atmosphere at the drift events were bad asss, and I was excited to become a part of it.
            BandWagon come on bro I've been wanting and planning to do this since summer 03. Also the idea for the truck came from Ken Myoshi at Drift Showoff thought it would be cool to change it up from the norm, I've known Ken for a long time we go way back and trusting him and his opinion is what we are doing. I also never told anyone what was wrong about drifting?

Comment

• I just talked to Chris this evening. I do believe someone has misrepresented him. I revoke what I said about him. I do know in this business of racing some of the things said can be twisted quite a bit. Sorry for the hassle Chris, you have one hell of a mess to clean up....Looks like you have enough on your plate for now...

Later everyone...

Ryan Hampton
              Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

• Thanks again for makin the effort to send this straight. I do appoligize for anything I said. And we dont hate you, we just hated your ill edited attitude.

And can we please leave MTV out of this, all we need is a bunch of 16 year olds wrapping themselves around a pole after school because they saw drifting beeing done on MTV.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you do well in your endeavors. I understand people in you place needing publicity, but you might want to watch who you give your interviews too.

Comment

• I also talked to Rado last night. He is cool and was misrepresnted in the article. I know it happens. I've seen alot of stuff in mags that ready didnt go down the way they write it.
                  BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• you know what rado...ive been on this site for a while and although i dont post a lot, ive noticed that if youre not a "true drifter," then people hate. fukin lame. some of the ppl on this board are killing the drift scene here in US.

i think its cool that other racers are crossing over into drifting. i hope it happens more because it will make the whole scene more competitive. and as a fan, i want to see good competition.

and the ppl that jumped to conclusions before even knowing if that original post was rado...get a fukin clue.
                    Last edited by noobster; 05-27-2004, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Drifting is for guys who can't build fast cars. I have never seen a drift car with over 400hp (unless it was a 8cyl), yet you see daily driven 500+ hp street class drag cars. So to respond to the one jack *Censored**Censored**Censored* on here who said drag racing was no skill, build a drift car with over 600 hp and see if you can even drive it straight. For those who are hating on Rado and other racers because they have sponsors, get over it. Instead of bitching, try and refine what you do and go after sponsors. I have a fwd car that runs deep into the 9's and I have no sponsors, but I am not crying about what is or isn't good for our sport.

I will step out and take a stab at drifters here. Like a famous drag racer said "Drifting is figure skating without the pretty girls and tights" Maybe you guys should quit bitching about people wanting to cross over from drag racing and buy some leotards. Maybe it will bring the amount of media that figure skating has to the drift events.

One last thing. Vaughn Gittin is the sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 794hpfwd
                        Drifting is for guys who can't build fast cars. I have never seen a drift car with over 400hp (unless it was a 8cyl)
                        Im not trying to get off subject or argue with you, but more than half of the D1 cars have over 450hp and prolly 95% of the cars are 4 bangers (the rest are rotaries and straight 6's) i know Koguchi has over 500hp(U.S. FALKEN CAR) now that he hooked up with HPI.

Koguchi is the SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA
                        Last edited by Ben Schwartz; 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Arent the Signal Twins pushing out like 750hp? But they do have RB's in there. But still, thats one high horsepowered drifter.

Comment

• Hmmm.... Well now, Rado shows up at the forum to speak for himself. I can respect that. Problem is, im a first impressions kinda guy, not very forgiving. I still think that article is crap, editors fault or not. First appearance's are important.... And unless i get a reason to think otherwise, this is what i saw.

"I've been training to go drifting my entire life"

"There's no mystery to drifting,just solid techiniques;basiclly what I've been doing since high-school to showoff"

Just like nissanguy said, i hear these kind of remarks coming from young kids who just got their license, watched an option video, and then think theyre drifters.

Well enough of that... All i gotta say is. Welcome to the board, and.... watch what you say.

Comment

• Rooney and Ben lets not even feed this troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by 794hpfwd
                                Drifting is for guys who can't build fast cars. I have never seen a drift car with over 400hp (unless it was a 8cyl), yet you see daily driven 500+ hp street class drag cars. So to respond to the one jack *Censored**Censored**Censored* on here who said drag racing was no skill, build a drift car with over 600 hp and see if you can even drive it straight. For those who are hating on Rado and other racers because they have sponsors, get over it. Instead of bitching, try and refine what you do and go after sponsors. I have a fwd car that runs deep into the 9's and I have no sponsors, but I am not crying about what is or isn't good for our sport.

I will step out and take a stab at drifters here. Like a famous drag racer said "Drifting is figure skating without the pretty girls and tights" Maybe you guys should quit bitching about people wanting to cross over from drag racing and buy some leotards. Maybe it will bring the amount of media that figure skating has to the drift events.

One last thing. Vaughn Gittin is the sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Drag racing is like the 100 meter dash with out tall naked guys from kenya.

Honestly your post isnt helping Rado clear anything up. I hope you wont post again on this drifting forum, considering you dont like drifting.

Comment

Working...
                                X